pocket sized A-Z maps of cities..

Mar 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

pocket sized A-Z maps of cities..

I hate carrying around fold-up maps; when in London I always have a small A-Z book in my purse.

Anyone know where similar books can be purchased for other major cities? It's so, so much easier to locate streets, IMO. I've always used fold-up maps in cities other than London, but would like to get a small book like the A-Z guide if possible.
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM

The Michael Middleditch booklets might be similar, roughly 5x7 inches, each spread covers a district... I know there's one for Paris and one for Amsterdam..These also have a few pages of city and sights information.

Paris newsstands also sell dark blue booklets, each spread is one arrondissement.. made by L'Indisponsable. Tramsport and street maps only, no tourism info.
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelnut, very helpful--I will look for these!
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Any particular cities at this time..?
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Here is what one of the Paris books looks like - the publisher has several variations...

http://tinyurl.com/yuq53n

Here is what the Middleditch booklet looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/yvqtej
Mar 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Paris in particular, so your answer is perfect for me. If there was one for Budapest I'd be happy as well! I'll do a little research, what's on those links look great.
Mar 11th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Travelnut, I just wanted to add my thanks for your mentioning the L'Indispensable guides on another thread a while back. I bought the one that has three for maps for each arrondissement when I was in Paris last month. It was a great improvement over the 1970 book we had been using, LOL.

And just as an aside, I have sadly reached the conclusion that I need to travel with a small magnifying glass.

Anselm
Mar 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Agree on the tiny text... I'm acquiring a small library of Paris maps, still looking for that 'perfect' one.. The '3 plans' version is pretty good, since we like to use the bus more these days.

Have you found the little credit-card size magnifiers..? those come in handy... Walmart has 'em in the pharmacy area for a couple $.. Target has one for $9.99 that lights up (the Owl).
Mar 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM

We're converts to the Paris bus system now, too. We used them a great deal last month.

A credit-card magnifier sounds like what I need, so I'll take a look in Walmart.

Anselm