plz tell me if my itinerary is ok

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Leslie

plz tell me if my itinerary is ok

I will be in Europe for 20 Days between Dec/Jan. So far the plan isBR>1-LONDON 5 nights (Will be there for new year)will take a flight to 2- ROME 4 nights then will take a train to 3- VENICE for 3 nights and then will take an overnight train to 4- VEINNA for 4 days then will fly to 5- LONDON for another 4 days to do abit of shopping before i head back home.

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:47 PM
donna

What a trip, I die of envy. I'm assuming that shopping is the reason for having a total of 9 days in London.
I'd probably want to work in another area like Amalfi Coast or Tuscany instead of that long in London. Then again you may be wise to stick with large cities that time of the year. Have a great trip.

Oct 1st, 2002, 03:17 PM
Leslie

Donna,
Thanks so much for replying. I am planning to do all the touristy things in my first 5 days in London. The shopping is going to be done after I go to Italy and Austria because I do not want to carry any extra luggage from shopping. Do you think it is wise to do a day trip to Florence from Rome?

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:15 PM
belinda

I don't know about giving up a day in Rome, but Florence is certainly worth a couple of days if you can work it in. You don't really need more than that. There's pretty good shopping in Florence too, but mostly it's all about the art.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:20 PM
hugh

I think you will have a BLAST. My only suggestion would be to take a day trip to Salzburg while in Vienna.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Leslie

Thanks Hugh, I would love to go to Salzburg because I love sceneries, What is keeping me away is that it is a 3.5 hour ride and since days in winter are short I wont see much. MAybe if I leave vienna at 6am i can make it.

Oct 1st, 2002, 08:26 PM
Leslie

(This is a different Leslie from the original poster)...

Only two comments since we don't know why these particular cities are your choices:

1. This is 100% urban. Try to see some more rural areas outside of these cities for a more balanced experience.

2. Consider the inefficiency of traveling twice to London. Perhaps an open jaw flight into Rome and home from London would make sense.

Oct 1st, 2002, 08:56 PM
Ronda

Leslie, I love London but I think you will be bored after 5 days. Instead of day tripping from Rome to Florence, why don't you stay a night or two in Florence and then go on to Venice. I think 2 or 3 days shopping in London is plenty. Besides, my daughter liked shopping in Florence better than in London. Actually, she liked shopping in Paris the most. Why aren't you going to Paris? Now THAT's the place for shopaholoics!

Oct 1st, 2002, 09:39 PM
Bonnie

We just returned frome the UK, Ireland Scotland and Wales. We we gone 20 days and that was not enough. London has so much to see and shopping, unless you have many pounds for get it, remember the pound is very strong right now and the Euro is almost equal.

I'd definately spend a couple of days in Florence and Tuscany area, be careful of the gypsies in Florence, they are all over.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:15 AM
Leslie

Thanks to everyone fr fiving me input.
Blinda and Leslie- I would love to go to florence but I am deading the luggage I will have to carry from one train to the other. I am alreading doing that from Rome to Venice and then Venice to Vienna. I do want to go to somewhere rural so any suggestions? How about the dolomites after venice?
Rhonda- I Have been to Paris but it just never did it for me. I know I might be a minority here but I just did not like it. I want to do my shopping in the end of my holiday and that is why I am going to London. I really love London and always make time to pass when I am in europe.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Cecille

I know what you mean by shopping in London, I cannot get enough of it and I was there for 2 weeks in the summer. As for your itinerary, it looks fine but I would cancel Rome and go to Florence instead. What does eveyone thing?

Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:53 PM
Dori

This reply is more about your comment about dreading carrying your luggage around. I'm normally not a super light packer myself, but I just returned from two weeks in Italy and forced myself to pack light. What a huge difference that made! I brought one 26" wheeled narrow suitcase and a very small bag that fit over it. I couldn't believe all the people I saw traveling (especially on the trains) that packed as if they brought everything they have ever owned in their lives. I packed basically all black clothing and just mixed the tops. It soulds like you like to shop. Depending on what you buy, you may want to consider just having things shipped back. With your itinerary, you will be so glad you packed light (and the envy of others who didn't). Have a great trip.

Oct 4th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Ira

Great trip.
I would suggest that if you can take the train from Venice to Vienna on a Sunday, during the day, the scenery is well worth it.