Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pltivice to Trogir, Croatia - Can This Be Done? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pltivice-to-trogir-croatia-can-this-be-done-744660/)

MollyBrown Oct 24th, 2007 02:26 PM

Pltivice to Trogir, Croatia - Can This Be Done?

Hi,

I find myself a few days over on my current itinerary to Croatia, Slovenia and Italy. I am thinking of trimming off Zadar. However as it stands I wonder if this is logistically feesable.

1. Spend the night in Plitvice after traveling there for much of the day from Rovinj (by bus).
2. Explore Plitvice - then take late late afternoon/early evening bus to Zadar or Trogir.

Is there a bus from Plitvice to Trogir? How many hours would that be? How do you find out about Croatian long-distance bus routes/times?

Any info would help as trimming Zadar (though we wish we had time) would really help us out.

Thank!

MollyB

Judy Oct 24th, 2007 04:01 PM

Molly, why not rent a car and not be dependent on bus schedules?

Denise Oct 24th, 2007 04:07 PM

Hi Molly:

How many days are you spending in each location. That would help.
We drove from Split to Ljubljana in about 4 hours. So its possible to drive anywhere, we did a small detour to Plitvice Lakes however it began to pour rain in buckets. So renting a car is an option.

Jim_Tardio Oct 24th, 2007 04:21 PM

We drove from Plitvice to Zadar in about 4 hours. I wouldn't count on bus service. You're far better off renting a car. The roads are good and the driving is easy in Croatia.

Rovinj was one of the best places I visited in Croatia...just a great town with something interesting around every corner.

You' re doing the right thing by spending the night in Plitvice. It takes a long time to get their from Rovinj, and you will be too tired to explore the park after driving that long. The park takes longer than you think to explore. Start early and figure on 4-6 hours.

I went to both Trogir and Zadar...if I had to choose between them I would go to Korcula instead, if you understand my meaning.

I have some pictures from Croatia here: http://www.jimtardio.com/croatia/croatia.html

christycruz Oct 24th, 2007 06:54 PM

I also suggest driving. Croatia built a new interstate that bypasses Plitvice, so it gets even less bus service than before.

Also, with a car you can stay in a sobe near the park. If you take a bus, your only real option is to stay at the park hotels. I heard they're ok, but much pricier than a nice sobe.

MollyBrown Oct 24th, 2007 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies!

I hate renting....it just makes me nervous and I spend a lot of time worrying about driving, parking and the possibility of getting ripped off. I don't know why - I haven't had too many problems with it in the past. I will look into it though as probably it will be the very best option.

If any of you have attempted the bus out there I would love to hear your thoughts too.

Thanks Again!

MollyB

julia_t Oct 25th, 2007 03:16 AM

Just last week I drove around the Dalmatian coast, including the Peljesac peninsula, Korcula, and up to Mostar in Bosnia.

I was quite nervous about driving alone, especially as being from England I drive on the other side, but it was pretty much fine. I had one scare the first night near Trogir but I suppose I shouldn't really have started off from the airport in the dark!

I rented through www.economycarrentals following a recommendation here, and they were great. I had a 1 year old Seat, a bit bigger than the car I booked, and was told 'is upgrade'. They are one of the cheapest companies around, and don't appear to charge any extra for dropping off in different places. Somewhere along my journey a mark appeared on the side of the car - sort of rubber/plastic probably from a truck bumper or wing mirror rather than a scratch in the paint. When I told the guy at Split airport he said 'oh is nothing, it will come off in the wash' and ignored it.

As others have said, the road system in northern Croatia is now much improved with the big new motorway, so it would be much quicker than a bus, and an easy drive.

A friend took the bus from Dubrovnik to meet me in Mostar, and said it was horrible. Packed full to bursting, and the man next to her was sick on the floor before the bus even left, and then fell asleep on her. She didn't have a good time on the bus to Split either and has vowed never to take a bus in Croatia again! But other people have had good experiences with buses - if you want to test them out please report back!

palette Oct 29th, 2007 12:59 PM

Jim, what gorgeous photos.

lanejohann Mar 1st, 2008 06:50 PM

we drove from plitvice to trogir..started at around noon and were there early evening with plenty of little stops
dont know about buses though

Carta_Pisana Mar 1st, 2008 08:13 PM

i think the bus from Split to Zadar was about 4 hours. I really like Zadar - even more so than Trogir, which is inundated with tourists. I prefer not renting a car also - makes the trip much easier in my opinion - if I get drowsy, I can nap - I can look at the scenery - read a book - don't have to worry about parking. Can't do that if driving. The buses along the coast are plentiful in Croatia - the islands, not as much.