Pls suggest itinerary for 4 or 5 days

Aug 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Pls suggest itinerary for 4 or 5 days

Hi,

I plan to visit Switzerland this December with my husband for about 4 or 5 days. Our main focus would be the Jungfraujoch and Matterhorn. Could anyone please suggest to us what itinerary would help us get maximum mileage out of 4 or 5 days.
Specific questions that I would like help with are as follows :
1. I know the question about base town has been asked several times and I notice that most people go witj Wengen,Murren or Grindelwald - But are these relatively non-touristy areas?? Of course the reason why most tourists prefer these towns must be primarily because of good connectivity to other places, but are there any other non-touristy towns/villages with good connectivity ??
2. How expensive does Switzerland get over the Christmas/ New yr period - we haven't fixed out travel dates as yet, so we can be flexible.
3. If jungfraujoch and Matterhorn are too similar, then we don't mind cutting out one of them from our to-do list and incorporating something else(would need suggestions for this).
4. I have been reading up about the Swiss Pass and to be honest, I am a little confused - Does the Pass offer free travel on swiss trains and buses or does it only provide a 50% discount?? And would it be really worth buying one for my travel plans.
Aug 15th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Hi tanayabardhan,

I'll try to help with some of your concerns --

There are lots and lots of town in the Oberland area that are not overrun by tourists -- but yes you may be adding 30-40 minutes to your daily outings if you go to the mountains. Some ideas might be Spiez (cosy little town on Lake Thun), big town/small city of Thun (right on its lake, with a castle in town and another farther down on the lake), Brienz on Lake Brienz, Giessbach on lake Brienz. If you stayed in Spiez, you could also make easy trips to see Zweisimmen and Gstaad, at the farthest western edge of the Oberland.

Zermatt, the base for viewing the Matterhorn, is brutal over Christmas and New Year's. In fact, many hotels require a minimum stay of one week, and some even require two weeks. And many hotels will already be booked out -- that is the beginning of their high period.

I can't say that the Matterhorn area and Jungfrau area are similar -- I love the Jungfrau area and can't stand Zermatt. Zermatt is quite overbuilt and lacks a cozy and charming atmosphere and appearance.

The Swiss Pass covers all the trains on the main rail lines, the ones connecting main towns, villages, and cities. But it only offers a discount on the private rail and cable lines up to mountain peaks. To make sure you get the right pass, someone just has to do the math. You can get all the fares at the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

then compare the sum to the various passes and discount cards. I used to have to do a spreadsheet to keep track of all the combinations and options -- and every time, the Half Fare Card came out as the most economical option for my trips.

Have fun with your research!

s
Aug 17th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Do you think December is a good time to visit? We want to see lots of snow and even visit a gentle ski resort if possible - what would you suggest ??
Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM

December is an excellent time to visit Switzerland! Better be booking your rooms soon! Switzerland is always expensive, so don't worry about prices being high. It's one of the best times to see snow and feel the warmth of the Swiss people, and experience the food,culture and the great outdoors.

I would watch staying on a Lake Thun. It can get foggy and then you can't see anything unless you go up a mountain on a cable car or cog train. But that is what ia nice about Switzerland...if it's foggy or cloudy in the valleys go up on a mountain for lots of sunshine!

Check out myswitzerland.com for lodging. You can search by date, area or city, price range and type of lodging.
Aug 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM

Hi again,

Yes, December is a great time to visit, and it's a popular time. However, you should be aware that the villages probably won't have snow, so to see & play in the stuff, you'll have to go up onto one of the peaks -- Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch. There may or may not be skiing.

If you are interested in the Jungfrau region, you can check on the villages and hotels at

www.myjungfrau.ch

If you are interested in Zermatt, you can find hotels at

www.zermatt.ch

Have fun!

s