Search

Ischia Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ischia Help

After taking everyone's advice, we've changed our plans from traveling to AC with two babies to going to Ischia. Seems more doable. It also seems a lot more affordable. Is that correct? I looked at some 4 Star hotels that seemed 1/4 the price that they'd be in Positano. It also seems like the beaches might be nicer there (meaning sandy). Is that true?

Can anyone recommend a nice place with a beautiful pool, a place where we could take nice walks with our strollers into town, and maybe a place that is also near a nice beach?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
ABENDIGO

www.ischia.it
www.ischia.org
www.ischia.us
www.ischiainpillole.com
www.ischiainpillole.it
www.ischiaitaly.net
www.ischiamarket.com
www.ischiaprenotazioni.it
www.ischiatravelweb.it
www.ischiatravelweb.com
www.ischiaweb.it

On www.capriweb.com (information about Ischia and the sites on every borough)

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I too would be interested in recommendaions of specific hotels that would be near at town for strolling and also near (or on) the water. Thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:57 PM

I was just in Ischia in September on a full day-trip with my small child and we loved it there. Ischia Porto is the largest town and where most travelers arrive via ferry boat from Naples, Capri, Procida, etc. You will find the most hotels there, but they will be very expensive because of their having pools fed by hot springs.

I liked Sant'Angelo at the other end of the island. There is a great, sandy beach along a curved inlet, as well as a kid's play area on the sand (slides, swings, etc). You just walk across the walkway from the beach into the little town area full of shops, restaurants, etc. It seemed like it would be a charming place to stay with everything conveniently within walking distance.

I toured the entire island and did see 2 hotels there that looked nice (where I would want to stay if overnighting): Hotel Villa Franca and Baia Verde, Strada Statale, 270 # 183 (011 39 081 98 74 20/Fax 011 39 081 98 70 81) located on the Strada Statale main road between Forio and Lacco Ameno. These hotels were near the beach and when I checked the rates, they had doubles under 100 euros that included breakfast.

For hotels specific to Sant'Angelo, you should be able to pull up all the hotel properties within the town. It is a small town so you can't really go wrong with wherever you pick as there are seaviews no matter where you look!

(I am curious why Ischia would seem more doable than the AC? I myself prefer the AC and base myself in Sorrento. My child and I love it there and we take the ferries up and down the coast visiting the other cities, Capri, etc. My Sorrento hotel with seaview room and walkout terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples costs me only 95 euros a night, including breakfast. However, perhaps basing yourselves in Ischia without having to go to lots of towns and taking boats, etc might be easier with 2 babies? Both places are equally nice; however, you will find Ischia to be a quieter, calmer place than the AC though, so maybe the better choice). Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Hi

Try - http://www.villaciccio.it. Check the hotel rates carefully on Ischia. For some reason they quote rates per PERSON and not per ROOM. The Villa Ciccio is no exception. It might help if you state your budget and what time of year you're going.

Cheers
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for the help!
First, we're going the first week in June and we'd like to spend around $200 a night (a little more or a little less). We'll be three adults, a two year old and a 7 month old.
The reason I thought Ischia over Sorrento was that for some reason I wasn't too impressed with Sorrento (although didn't really have enough time to make that judgment). Second, people keep telling us what HELL it is driving around the AC, traffic, scarey roads, etc. So, we thought Ishcia could make a nice base and then we could take boats to Positano and/or Amalfi for two day trips.
Do the boats go to Positano and Amalfi from Ischia?
Also, Huitres, Sant Angelo sounded great, since it has that beautiful beach and playground and a nice town with restaurants and shops. Would other people agree that Sant Angelo would be a good base on Ischia?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Jacquie - For boatb trips to the Amalfi Coast see:

http://www.capitanmorgan.it/

I'm not sure if they run in early June ...

Sant'Angelo is pleasant if you want a quiet base. As a town I prefer Forio. ...

sTEVE
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Try the Hotel Europa in Ischia Porto. www.italyby.com
They have a pool and you can walk to the beach and town.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Steve James, there seems to be something wrong with that Captain Morgan site...I couldn't get any info out of it in English anyway...
Also, MKF99 Ischia Porto would be your preference?
Any other first hand experiences of where to stay on Ischia?
Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
ABENDIGO

www.consorziolmp.it

click on LMS

write to them on "contatto" to confirm any ferry to where you'd like to go.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM

Jacquie - The Italian version works:

http://www.ischia.it/lauro/rassegna/...O%20AMALFI.doc

It's a seasonal service 4/5 days per week.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Steve James,
was that a schedule for Ischia to Positano?
Do you have any idea how long the ferry takes between Ischia and Positano or Amalfi?

Also, does anyone have an opinion as to what's the nicest beach in Ischia? Nice sand, beautiful water, not too crowded?

Thanks so much!