Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pls Critique 14 day Italy Itinerary and Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pls-critique-14-day-italy-itinerary-and-lodging-672089/)

aloveindy Jan 20th, 2007 01:27 PM

Pls Critique 14 day Italy Itinerary and Lodging

Here is what I have so far:

Fly into Rome

4 nights in Rome at Hotel Panda

Train to Tuscany and rent car (or should we rent in Rome and drive to Tuscany?)

5 Nights near San Gimignano at Agriturismo Poggiacolle (http://www.poggiacolle.com/) To explore the italian countryside

Drop off car in Florence (would that be the best?)

2 nights in Florence staying at Hotel Toscana (http://tinyurl.co
m/2fzfzc)

2 nights in Venice staying at Hotal Ca'Dograressa Venice

Fly out of Venice

What do you think is this doable and what would be the best places to rent the car and drop it off? Also any recs on the lodging?

Thanks

aloveindy Jan 22nd, 2007 05:41 AM

Any opinions??

batraveler Jan 22nd, 2007 06:58 AM

This sounds lovely to me. Although I cannot vouch personally for any of this accommodation, the areas you have chosen (the agriturismo in particular) look nice.

My husband and I rented a car in Rome before we headed to Tuscany and it was quite tricky getting out of the city. However, this was one of our first trips to Europe, not to mention Italy - we are more experienced now. Regardless I would still recommend picking up a car elsewhere if possible.

We dropped our car off in Florence, too, and had an even more difficult time. BUT that is only because the rental office had moved so! By the time we found the new location (no address on old office door whatsoever) we were frantic as we were late with the car. Moreover, there was a march happening in the area so traffic was diverted. Plus the area we were in was comprised of one-way streets! WHEW! We were so relieved to finally get out of there.

Venice is a lovely way to end your holiday. We aboslutely loved it.

Summary - your itinerary seems doable to me - not too rushed. We stayed in B&Bs and agriturismos as we always do so am afraid I cannot help you there!

Lorac1127 Jan 22nd, 2007 07:04 AM

Four nights in Rome is an excellent start to your trip.

My preference would be to pick up the car in Rome thereby eliminating the cost of several trains and simplifying the itinerary...no need to cathc a train at a specific time or to load and unload the luggage twice from the train and then getting to the car rental agency and loading the car up again.

You could take a taxi from your hotel in Rome to pick up the car and drive directly to Tuscany at your leisure, stopping along the way for lunch in say Orvieto which is a lovely town.

On our last trip, we also had a car and couldn't decide whether to drive or take a train from Tuscany to Venice. We opted to drive...and since there was a train strike that day, we really didn't have a choice. The drive was very easy and we dropped the car off at the airport and took a water taxi into Venice...wonderful experience.

However, since you are staying in Florence for two days, if you keep the car, be sure to check with your hotel as to where you can park and the cost. Consider the cost of parking the car for two days against the cost of the train tickets which would be between 50-75 Euros each.

I have no personal knowledge of your hotels. The locations in Rome and Florence appear to be centrally located which is good. My only concern would be the lcation of your hotel in Venice since you have just two days there. Maybe other Fodorites can advise better.

Lorac1127 Jan 22nd, 2007 07:09 AM

One last comment.

I would suggest that you consider taking one day from Tuscany and adding it to Venice.

The main reason is because whether you drive or train to Venice, the trip will easily take 4-5 hours out of your day, leaving you with much less than two days in Venice.

bobthenavigator Jan 22nd, 2007 07:14 AM

I like it--nice trip.
Do not try to drive out of Rome unless you are experienced. I would train to Chiusi to get the car---check with Autoeurope. Drop the car at the Florence airport--easy to access but you must taxi to your hotel---about 15E. One option is to day trip into Florence one day from Tuscany and then skip Florence and drive to Venice to drop the car. Are you from Indy? I grew up there. Have fun !

aloveindy Jan 22nd, 2007 08:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the great advice. And yes bobthenavigator I am from Indy. Go Colts :)

ira Jan 22nd, 2007 08:19 AM

Hi A,

Much as I like Florence, I suggst making it a daytrip from your Tuscan base and adding 1-2 nights to Venice.

You can drop off the car in Venice.

((I))

MaureenB Jan 22nd, 2007 08:22 AM

Sounds like a nice plan. I might take one night from Tuscany and add it to Florence or Venice, though. Spend a day on the Italian coast, too. Just my personal taste. Have fun! (What month will you be there?)
:)>-

aloveindy Jan 22nd, 2007 10:05 AM

We plan to go September 15th - 29th. And funny you should mention the italian coast as my husband mentioned wanting to trade in some Tuscany time for the coast.

MichelleY Jan 22nd, 2007 10:43 AM

Try to add a day or two to Venice. You won't regret it!!

MY

Dayle Jan 22nd, 2007 02:48 PM

Hi,

I also would recommend an additional day in Venice. I would pick up the car in Orvieto or Chiusi, both very easy.

Buon viaggio!