Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please weigh in on Ireland itinerary--I used your suggestions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Dara

Hi there! Thanks to all who have posted over the past couple of years. You have helped me plan an itinerary for a long-awaited trip. Please let me know what you think of my itinerary--what's good, what's bad, what's a must-see. Also, should we spend more time in Galway? Thanks!<BR><BR>8/8 Leave New York<BR>8/9 Arrive at Shannon in the early morning. Pick up rental car and get on the road to Galway by 10 a.m. Spend afternoon in Galway. Drive to Recess, Connemara, to spend the night at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel<BR>8/10 Spend day in Connemara, seeing the sights. Spend night #2 at Ballynahinch.<BR>8/11 Drive back toward the south. See the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, drive around Co. Clare. Stay the night in Bunratty.<BR>8/12 Begin drive to Co. Kerry to see Ring of Kerry. Spend night somewhere in Co. Kerry.<BR>8/13 Day 2 in Ring of Kerry. Spend night somewhere in Co. Cork (Kinsale?).<BR>8/14 Drive to Cork City area (short drive). See Blarney Castle. Drive on to Cobh to see the Titanic's last port and Fota Wild. Drive on to Waterford. Spend night in Waterford. <BR>8/15 Spend the day leisurely driving to Dublin--up the coast? Inland? (Don't know much about that area or if that is possible) Return the car. Spend the night in Dublin.<BR>8/16 Fly out of Dublin back to NYC. Sleep!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Kim

Sounds like a great trip! I would definately stay in Kinsale - loved Kinsale (eat at Max's Wine Garden). Instead of staying in Waterford, I would travel inland a bit to Thomastown (near Kilkenny) and stay at Mount Juliet (it's glorious). Drive from Thomastown to Glendalough in the Wicklow Mountains on your way to Dublin. Also, right outside of Dublin, stop at Avoca for some wonderful Irish souvenirs. I greatly recommend the Hibernian hotel in Dublin if you haven't already booked a hotel in Dublin. Have a fabulous time. I'm envious!<BR><BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Mavis

And Avoca is the area you see in the series 'Ballykissangel'. Is quite beautiful and more green than you can imagine. Powercourt Estate is at Enniskerry in Co. Wicklow open daily 9:30-5:30, plus lovely waterfall. Were you planning on seeing Kilkenny Castle or Muckross House & Gardens in Killarney? And Cong, where the Quiet Man was filmed, isn't that far a drive fr. Galway.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Bill

What you're doing is "do-able" but the first day will be very tiring. That's a lot of driving with jet lag. The only other thing I can tell you is that you'll wish you had spent more time in each place after the trip, but that always happens on a short trip. You'll be planning another trip on the plane ride home.<BR><BR>Definitely see Glendalough on the way to Dublin...and yes, Kinsale is a nice place to stay. When will you be in Ireland?<BR><BR>Bill<BR><BR>B

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:15 PM
duh

Well, Bill, from Dara's itinerary I'd guess that it would be roughly August 8th to August 16th. But that's just a wild guess.<BR>I'd skip Waterford unless you have a real need to go there. Head up from Kinsale towards Kilkenny or this Thomastown place.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:43 PM
jeni

I'd skip the Fota Wild Animal Park. Not something worth seeing on such a sort trip. It's very small with few animals. I would try to spend a longer time in Co Kerry,maybe Killarney 2 nts, and visit Muckross House, Gap of Dunloe, and Killarney Lakes area, instead of Waterford. While in Connemara area try to see Kylemore Abbey. <BR>My suggestion.<BR>8/9-8/11 OK<BR>8/12 Drive from Bunratty to Limerick and take N21 south to Killarney. See maybe Muckross house and gardens, Torc Waterfall, pony trek ride in Lake area. Maybe trek ride to Gap of Dunloe and then boat ride on lake to Ross Castle. <BR>overnight Killarney.<BR>8/13 Tour Ring of Kerry stopping along way to have lunch. Spend second nt in Killarney or continue on to the lovely town of Kenmare (great restaurants)<BR>8/14 Drive on to Kinsale, maybe along the southern coast thru Bantry (you could stop at Bantry House). While in Kinsale be sure to visit Charles Fort. It's a lovely port town. <BR>8/15 Drive north stopping at Blarney Castle (you can do all the shopping you need at Blarney Woolin Mills, they have everything!!and great prices, and refund vat tax right there.)Continue north on N8 toward Dublin. Try to make a stop at The Rock of Cashel (worth it) and then on to Dublin. The N8 travels pretty quickly for an Irish highway.<BR>Do your best to avoid the Cork City. Lots of traffic.<BR>If you spend that second night in Killarney, you could take the more direct route N22 to Kinsale, stopping at Blarney on the way.That would give you more time in Blarney and Kinsale. Then the next day you could drive straight to Dublin maybe stopping at Cobh then the N8 north to Dublin.<BR>Hope I haven't gone on too much. Have a good trip! Jeni

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:32 PM
cd

Hi Dara!<BR>I would definitly do the Dingle Peninsula, Conor Pass and Slea Head instead of Ring of Kerry. The most beautiful scenry of our trip in Ireland! Have a good time!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:25 PM
freecia

My friend and I are doing a similar trip... By train. Neither one of us was willing to drive and miss the scenery. We know the public transport isn't super, but it gets us close to where we need to go.<BR>Has anyone done this? How do you get about town?<BR>We'd also like to visit Dingle. Is it possible to grab a taxi/ car hire from the nearest train station?<BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Bill

Hey duh...Thanks for pointing out that I didn'y pay attention to the dates. Gee, I made a mistake. Ever made one yourself. Probably not. You're perfect. You're the reason why I consider this the least friendly travel board on the planet. You probably beat your wife and kids too.<BR><BR>Bill