Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please tell me your experience staying at Hotel Belvédère, Wengen

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Has any stayed at this hotel recently? I will be in Wengen for 7 nights in September and the Hotel Belvédère emailed me a rate of chf84 per night (about $72). It has gotten mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, particularly the distance from the train and the town itself, among other dislikes. I would prefer not to have to walk too far when returning from my daytrippings. I'm also awaiting responses from Alprenrose and Hotel Schoenegg (both recommended on here).

Thanks in advance.

jdc
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

topping for comments.

Also, trying to decide between Alprenrose and Hotel Belleveu (sp). The following are the offers from both hotels;

Alprenrose - from September 2nd until September 9th, 2009 (7 nights) 1 single room with private bath and WC, northfacing, at the rate of Sfr. 138.- per day. Included are: room with half-board (breakfast buffet and 5-course dinner), all taxes, the service and the value added tax.

Hotel Bellevue - From Wednesday, 2nd September (arrival) to Wednesday, 9th September 2009 (departure) for 7 nights

1 single room (non-smoking) with south-facing balcony and a breathtaking view (shower or bath, toilet, hairdryer, phone, radio, safe, without TV) at the daily rate of CHF 120.-- per room including the extensive buffet breakfast, our personal service and all taxes.
The supplement for half-board (5-course dinner) is CHF 32.-- per person per day, 3-course dinner CHF 28.--. Occasionally dinner is CHF 37.--.

or

7 nights with half-board including Jungfraubahnenpass (mountain-railway pass for 6 days for the whole region) including "Top of Europe" (3454 müM) and "Piz Gloria" (2970 müM) 1 week CHF 1186.

or

Hike all day, surrounded by the unique mountain scenery, and then come home and relax your legs whilst enjoying a well deserved cool drink and watching the sunset over the Lauterbrunnen valley. Let yourself be pampered - we will make sure that your stay with us is a positively unforgettable experience. Our service 7 nights accommodation with breakfast
CHF 658

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I wish Wengen was as easy as Luzern. I'm booked at the Hotel Des Alpres (sp) for 2 nights and the rates were great.

Thanks for your help.

jdc
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM

That last one sounds good, and you can't beat the price. Is that at the Bellevue?

Between the first two offers (Alpenrose versus Bellevue), I would choose the Bellevue, for the south-facing balcony. That view and the balcony mean a lot to me when I am in Switzerland. And I would add the 3-course dinner on half-board, but I would ask for a night or two free of half-board to dine elsewhere (try the Bären).

We haven't actually stayed at either hotel, but I did walk by both and look them over for next time. Both are a bit out of the central area, but in different directions. Alpenrose is a fairly steep downhill walk (and uphill to get to the train), on the lower edge of the village. Bellevue is more of a level walk, but on the far edge of the village---it must be toward the west. I don't think either one would take more than 10 minutes' walk at most---maybe less.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM

I am staying at Hotel Baeren... price: 1 single Sept.9-Sept. 12 is 120 CHF This price includes breakfast and dinner.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I'm now trying to decide between Alprenrose and Hotel Baeren. I'm booked at both until I make my decision.

Scatcat> You're arriving on the day that I'm leaving. I like the Baeren for the price (and is leaning more towards them), except since I'll be there on a Sunday, they don't serve dinner on Sunday's, but will charge 90 CHF for only the breakfast. Which means I will be on my own for that day, and shouldn't be a problem.

jdc
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM

The Bären is where we stayed, and I would not stay anywhere else. It is basically a restaurant with a few rooms upstairs; too casual for some people but just right for us.

It is about halfway between the train station and the Alpenrose location. The reception is unstaffed much of the day, and you may check yourselves in. Frau Brunner gives all the guests a warm greeting at dinner, while her husband is busy working magic the kitchen. They are known for their wonderful food---as fresh and local as possible. Breakfast includes fresh baked goods, eggs you can cook yourself in a little automatic cooker (it plays Mozart's "Für Elise" when the eggs are done), and two kinds of butter---one from a local farmer.

Sunday is their Ruhetag (restaurant closed for dinner). You can easily find somewhere else to have dinner that night.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM

jdc

I guess I'll be taking your room if you decide to stay there.

enzian

Glad to hear that you like Hotel Baeren. I like the smaller hotels, so it will be just right for me.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Enzian, you're making me hungry with that description. I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon. It does appear that in terms of location, the Hotel Baeren is better suituated, i.e, closer to the train station and I won't have that steep up/downhill climb each day.

jdc