Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please tell me about the Gorge du Verdon, France

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Bev

We will be staying at Grasse for 8 days in October. I see that the Gorge du Verdon is nearby. Can anyone tell me about it - what is the best area to see or the best way to get there from Grasse? Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Rex

It will FILL a day as an outing from Grasse, but I don't think you would want or need to relocate (lodging). See the 2 page spread in the Eyewitness guide on Provence. I never did the whole drive they they suggest, and never went as far as Moustiers, which may be a highlight, geography excluded. I would rate it a solid B+/A- for the fascinating terrain.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Diane

Just drove the south road about two weeks ago. There are two roads, one on the north, one on the south side of the gorge. My readings said the south side was prettier. You could drive up one side and back the other. It is beautiful and worth the adventure. Expect the weather to be cooler above the gorge.

Moustiers, as Rex noted, also looked like an interesting town. Quite touristy, lots of shops and a what appeared to be an old church tucked up between two hills. Both made for great pictures.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:19 PM
Bev

Rex and Diane - thank you for the helpful information. I was wondering about north or south side. Rex, you have answered more than one of my questions regarding this trip and I really appreciate your expertise.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 05:43 AM
leah

My 2 young teenagers and I are planning to travel to Paris for 1 day via the eurostar from London. We are planning to see the
Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame,
and the Louvre. My question is do you think we will have any trouble with communication?
I have heard the French can be rude.I am more worried about ordering food,etc.