Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please suggest a great Alsatian style restaurant in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-suggest-a-great-alsatian-style-restaurant-in-paris-597769/)

HappyCheesehead Mar 9th, 2006 09:57 AM

Please suggest a great Alsatian style restaurant in Paris

Am I right in thinking a brasserie is automatically an Alsation style restaurant?

I am looking for one that would offer a terrific charcuterie, Alsation Beer and also that "pflaumtorte" (I KNOW I am getting something wrong with that)- the flat baked crust with the onions and bacon. I missed getting one in Alsace last year

We are staying in the first, so any location is fine, we just want a great example of the type of restaurant.

grandmere Mar 9th, 2006 10:19 AM

Brasserie Lipp, on Blvd. St. Germain, has been around for a long time, and I had a good meal there, choucroute garnie. I think you are speaking of tarte flambee; don't remember seeing that but hard to imagine they wouldn't have something so typically Alsacienne.

Neopolitan Mar 9th, 2006 10:30 AM

Near Republique is the fun and huge, bustling Chez Jenny.

grandmere Mar 9th, 2006 12:16 PM

Brasserie de l'Isle St. Louis has a good reputation, also;I've never been there, but meant to- does that count? :-)

grandmere Mar 9th, 2006 12:18 PM

Misspelled "ile"; Brasserie is located on Ile St. Louis, quai de Bourbon.

HappyCheesehead Mar 9th, 2006 12:54 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions! In the future I better look up proper spellings.I sure butchered "Alsacienne"

Tarte flambee in exactly what it was. I was so mad I missed it and it looked SO GOOD!

ekscrunchy Mar 9th, 2006 01:00 PM

I like Brasserie Flo in the 10th. And the classic is Bofinger with great atmosphere downstairs. Not sure about where you can find that dessert, though.

plambers Mar 9th, 2006 01:15 PM

Brasserie de l'Isle St. Louis - we have eaten there twice and will return this May. Chacroute w/ a reisling is the way to go!

ira Mar 9th, 2006 01:53 PM

Hi HC,

I also recommend the choucroute garnie at Lipp.

The Balzar also has a good one.

You can get a 15% dscount at Flo Brasseries if you reserve online.

http://www.flobrasseries.com/resa/en/

((I))

Laidback Mar 9th, 2006 02:16 PM

For an authentic little Alsacien restaurant in the 14th just off Blvd Montparnasse, try Au Bretzel, 1 Leopold-Robert. They have Baeckeoff, choucroute, flammekueche and other specialties from the Strasbourg area.

Beatchick Mar 9th, 2006 02:18 PM

I 2nd Bofinger!

hopscotch Mar 9th, 2006 02:44 PM

Chope d'Alsace at Odeon has been my favorite for years -- pork cuts, sausages, kraut, and beer. You can see the sign from Blvd. St. Germain.

HappyCheesehead Mar 9th, 2006 03:04 PM

Oh. wow.

I have to extend my trip.

Thanks to all posters for these wonderful suggestions.

grandmere Mar 9th, 2006 03:08 PM

Tarte flambee is not a dessert; it is either a light meal or lunch in itself, or a first course, in small quantities.

nonnafelice Mar 9th, 2006 03:46 PM

I'm sure it's nowhere near as good as the ones you'd get in Paris (or in Alsace) but if you can't get there, Trader Joe has a good Alsatian tarte -- a recent addition to their frozen meals.

Rich Mar 9th, 2006 05:42 PM

A second for Chope d'Alsace . . we eat there at least once when we are in Paris . . so many brasseries . . so little time . .

Rich

Katerbug Mar 9th, 2006 07:11 PM

I love Trader Joes

kerouac Mar 10th, 2006 08:30 AM

As a Parisian for the last 35 years, I would say :
L'Alsace (Champs Elysées)
Chez Jenny (République)
But if your main interest is Flammkueche, you might want to go to Flam's (www.flams.fr) at Les Halles.

kerouac Mar 10th, 2006 08:32 AM

Sorry for the spelling -- I meant flammekueche.

HappyCheesehead Mar 10th, 2006 12:55 PM

This is all just wonderful. I will arrange all the suggestions by arrondisement so no matter where I am I will be able find a great lunch or dinner! Flams looks perfect for a great quick lunch!