Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please skip this if you're easily offended about apparel questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Well, we're leaving for Paris Aug 6, and I see that contrary to previous weather forecasts (predicting 80's), the current forecasts are calling for 90's+. My earnest questions:
1. Does the city cool off at all at night? I saw one current temp reading of 92 degrees at 10:30PM Paris local time. Did I misread something, or does it stay hot until the wee hours?
2. OK, so I have a phobia about appearing as the Ugly American in shorts and slapping flip-flops, but are dress mores at all relaxed when it's this hot? Sandals ok? Capris? I realize that any and everyone will recognize that I'm a tourist, but I'd just as soon remove as much of the offensive aspect of that label as I can.
3. Do many of the restaurants have air conditioning? I already know that our hotel has it...
Thanks to any of you who might reply.
CynR
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM

HI CynR,
Europe is experiencing an extreme heat wave this summer, but the last few have also been quite hot. Our experience has been that once Paris gets that hot, it doesn't cool off that much at night.
Many restaurants, parts of museums, etc. will not have air conditioning. Europeans don't seem as fazed by the lack of air conditioning as we do. Even hotels that advertise having it often aren't all that cool.

In terms of dress, I'd say skip the fannypack, but wear whatever you're comfortable in. We saw flip-flops, sandals, Capris, shorts, etc. being worn all over Europe this summer, and certainly not just by Americans!

Anyway, have a great time!

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Degas, can you help this lady???
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM

yes, Paris cools off considerably at night, unlike some cities, and there may even be a light breeze. However, it still stays light fairly late, so won't cool down a whole light until later evening. It's not impossible for it to be 92 at 10 pm, although unusual.

I was there for several weeks in June when it was that hot and hotter, and it may cool down about 10 degrees at night, I'd guess, at least when you might be out and about. Perhaps 5 more in the very middle of the night. It's often fairly cool(er) and pleasant in eary morning in Paris, until 10-11.

Of course sandals are okay. I think you've gotten some wrong ideas that all Parisians dress like fashion models and for formal events all day. This just isn't true at all. There really aren't any dress mores on the streets, on the metro, etc, that's not true either. Lower to middle or working class Parisians are not dressed in haute couture or dressed up at all. Capris are perfectly okay and would be even if it weren't 90 (as would sandals and flipflops). Nobody will get offended by anything you wear, they just won't care, unless you are trying to go into some fancy restaurant dressed very casually or poorly. They might not want you in the restaurant, if you do, and you might not get in (eg, I would not try wearing capris and sandals to Le Grand Vefour).

If it's that hot, it can get very hot in the city and on the metro or bus, so take some tank tops or sleeveless blouses. Something in a linen or woven fabric for the blouse or shell will be cooler than a knit fabric. If you do take knits, take the thinner, non-brushed kinds, that are cooler (lycra looks good but makes them hotter, also).

Unfortunately, most restaurants are not air-conditioned, hardly any are (some expensive ones are, I suppose). I was going to the movies to escape, figuring surely they would have AC, and they did not either. I really felt sorry for the poor workers in the Banque de France who did not even have AC in there, either, they were sweating bullets.

Parisians seems rather undisturbed by the heat to some extent. Or they are pretending it's not happening. Even when it was 95, I'd see a lot of Parisians walking around in long pants and long-sleeved shirts or even wearing jackets or sweaters. This was not because they were being fashion plates, either, as the clothes were nothing fancy or nice, they were even shabby--it was kind of weird. Plenty of other women were wearing capris and themes on sleeveless blouses/tank tops and I"m not talking about tourists.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:21 AM

FYI, It's 9.20pm where I live (on the countryside in Belgium) and the actual temp in my airy garden is 29?C (84?F). Our highest today was 33?C while in Paris 38?C (100?F)!!Taking into account that in the city the heat stays much longer and the fact that there is no wind at all (prediction for the whole coming week), temps will only fall after 4am, with lowest around 73?F.
Sandals, flip-flops, capris ... try to stay cool and drink a lot (water, bien sûr).
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for some VERY applicable advice; it is much appreciated!
Budman (I drive by the CA Budweiser plant every day on my way to work in Fairfield; you'll be pleased to hear that it never shuts down...)
Devoid of Degas? Egad! Actually, Degas did reply to an earlier post of mine, and did so without tongue firmly planted in cheek - or at least I THINK that was the case...
Thanks again! CynR
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Christina's comments about the various types of clothing being worn in Paris made me laugh! I was in London in June and it was very warm. I was constantly curious about the strange outfits I often saw, each and every day. I saw people in coats and jackets and people in skimpy tank tops and short skirts. It was in the mid and upper 80's, so it just blew my mind that anyone would wear a coat or jacket in such weather! Maybe they just weren't prepared for the heat when they left home that morning or maybe they were like Christina's Parisians and just pretended it was not hot.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:05 PM

I hope your hotel has central air & not the pitiful contraptions that they call ACs. Fashion police disband when it is hot. Your attire will offend nobody except snobs. Do not be surprised if you see a lot of skin & show yours if you like. Nobody will care. You realize when it is this hot that you won't want to go down to the subway because it is about 3x hotter down there. The sun does not set until about 10:30, so it will be hot until then at least. I don't care if its tacky, a misting bottle & folding fan help you survive.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Intrepid

I agree totally with "Invisible"..and the people who are complaining about staying in "chain" hotels that DON'T have decent A/C won't be flapping their jaws much either. And all those different sorts of clothing Lee4 saw...I don't suppose anyone knows if any of them were......GASP!..TOURISTS????? And who cares anyway. Go and remember it for what you SAW and not how miserable you were because your clothing was dictated by a bunch of strangers!

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 01:36 AM

This isn't strictly clothing related, but I suggest taking a small folding fan (the old-fashioned, paper or fabric kind) with you.

Temperatures here in Lyon have been averaging 33-37 C for a while now, so I've been carrying my fan everywhere I go! It's incredibly effective - maximum cool breeze with minimum effort - much better than those silly little battery-powered fans.

The only problem is finding someone willing to fan you while you take a siesta
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Parisians are pretty disturbed by the heat!!!
Plus our air-conditioning system broke down at the office...
Plus the air is cooling down much at night...

(sweating) Joelle...
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Oops!!!
I meant the air is NOT cooling down much at night!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
VoyageurFacile

Am in Paris as we speak. Have been here three days. This is a repeat of much of what has been said, but to confirm and debunk any false notions: It is insufferably hot and does not cool down enough at night to become pleasant. Most restaurants do not have air conditioning. As for dress, my hotel is on the Champs Elysees four blocks from the Arc de Triomphe, the very heart of tres chic. What I see is that tourists and Parisians alike dress for comfort: capris, shorts, sleeveless tops, etc. My wife and I went to the Moulin Rouge for dinner/show the other night and on the advice of the concierge at my hotel I wore a jacket. Except for the waiters I think I was the only person in the place wearing a jacket. One last word on the subject. One can wear NICE shorts and tops. They don't have to be cutoffs and t-shirts with holes in them.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My wardrobe for hot weather in Paris: Long, loose, print fabric shorts, that kind of look like a skirt. With a tank top & lightweight vest.

Palazzo style pants (draw string or elastic waist, dark print for easy travel, loose fit, linen, cotton or rayon) w/tank top or t-shirt. Also black knit capri pants.

Sundress or skirts if you normally wear these. Several pair comfortable nice sandals, one dressy with bit of a heel.

oops... she's already gone!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
People in Paris are not aliens, they dress the same as we do in the weather conditions, they just look better.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM
DAJ

topping for latest weather related dress
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 11:53 AM

I think much of Europe is dressing to be cool and to hell with fashion!
In my neighborhood, skirts and tees are common as are "flip flops" and thin cotton dresses. The least clothing you can get away with is the most comfortable.