Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please review Northern Italy itinerary :)

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Northern Italy next July and I'm trying to finalize our trip. We are an energetic couple in our 40s and would like to do as much as possible in the 8 days we'll be there. Just wondering if the below plan is too ambitious:

2 nights Venice
2 nights Bologna (day trip to Verona)
2 nights Varenna (Lake Como)
2 nights Baveno (Lake Maggiore)

(Flying in and out of Milan)

We really will only have a day and a half at each place when I really look at it.

I'm thinking of cutting it down to 1 night Bologna and adding a night to either Como or Maggiore (suggestions on which?). I've been traveling my whole life but for some reason this trip has me a little stuck.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 07:03 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe Forum and tagged for Italy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:53 AM

Why move around between lakes Como and Maggiore? If traveling by car, take a day trip to one or the other.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
Why move around between lakes Como and Maggiore? If traveling by car, take a day trip to one or the other.
Thats a great point and may be the answer I知 looking for! Have you done both lakes? If so, would love to hear your opinion on which lake to base ourselves. I知 hoping you値l say Baveno because the hotel I booked (Rigoli) looks beautiful and is moderately priced.

thank you!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:07 AM

We spent several days in Bologna last fall and loved it, both for the food scene and its busy-ness but also for it being a great base for the Emilia Romagna region. I don't recommend it for a one-nighter. Maybe skip Bologna, and do your day trip to Verona on the way from Venice to the lakes. I have provided our link to our three nights in Varenna that we found perfect: Trip Report: Part 1 Northern Italian Lakes & Cities (12 days October)
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:12 AM

Verona is between Milan and Venice. it would be easier to stop over there on your en route to Venice.
Baveno is close to Milan Malpensa airport. A dy trip from there to lake Como is also possible by public transport, either via Gallarate - Como or via Luino - Lugano.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:32 AM

I would stay on Lago Maggiore and take a daytrip to Lago di Como, but Maggiore is my favorite lake.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by hodo75

Thats a great point and may be the answer I知 looking for! Have you done both lakes? If so, would love to hear your opinion on which lake to base ourselves. I知 hoping you値l say Baveno because the hotel I booked (Rigoli) looks beautiful and is moderately priced.

thank you!
I've done only Como, staying above Bellagio, ferrying across to visit a garden (there are a couple of worthwhile gardens along the shores of Como) and then driving to Switzerland via Lugano. It looks like Maggiore would be more convenient for your departure. This is where we stayed: https://www.ilperlo.com/en

These are two gardens:

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 02:51 PM

We really enjoyed Baveno when we were there last year. It was fun taking the ferries to the various islands. We didn't go to Como, so I can't compare. But, we would definitely go back to Baveno.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 04:27 PM
kja

Two nights (a day and a half) is VERY little for Venice, particularly if you will be jet lagged when you arrive.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 06:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Two nights equals one day so I find your itinerary lacking enough time to see much in most of the locations. Delete some, add more time to others.
Don稚 leave Bologna.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 04:09 AM

which excursion?