Please recommend tour group to Italy

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Anne-Marie Bursevich

Please recommend tour group to Italy

My husband and I would like to celebrate our 20th Anniversary by visiting Rome, Florence and Venice. Has anyone had experience using Caravella Tours? Can you recommend a good tour group? Thanks.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:42 AM
M

I can't help you with tours but do a text search on "italy tours", "tour italy" and other similar phrases to get some posts on the topic. Most people on this board will steer you away from tours. Things to consider are the quality and location of hotels, how much organized vs. free time you would like and also planned meals vs. eating on your own.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM
Tess

I'm one of those 'do-it-yourselfers' who's traveled to Italy several times within past five years. As 'M' suggests, it's important to closely evaluate what the tour is offering, hotel selections, etc. My only experience with an organized tour group was last year, a trip to Costa Rica. And from that I learned there are definite advantages/disadvantages to tour groups. I took a look at the Caravella site, the Rome/Florence/Venice trip for this coming year ($2,995 for 9 days/8 nights). I think going with a small group is best --- they say size is limited to 12 participants. Downside is that because the group is smaller, they have to price the tour higher for costs/profit. Honestly, you can easily cover the same territory for alot less than 6k (cost for a couple); and I noted the price doesn't include airfare. On the other hand, it can be really nice to have all the transfers, transportation between cities, hotels handled by someone else. As to their hotel selections, I've heard good thing about Metropole (Venice hotel)--unfamiliar with their Rome & Florence choices. Both of those hotels likely have websites, so you can investigate their location & services.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:19 AM
Tess

One more comment --- if you've got the budget for this, then I'd suggest you consider staying longer than the "Three Classics" and selecting either Caravella's 3 Classics with Tuscany or 3 Classics with Amalfi. For a 20th anniversary (or ANY Italy trip) it's truly worthwhile to explore an area outside the major cities. I especially enjoyed the more relaxed pace of the Tuscan countryside (you need a leisurely "ying" to the frenetic "yang" of Rome).

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:24 AM
m

to the top

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:14 PM
up

see if you can get anyone to plan a Fodorites trip for you!

Old May 25th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Massimiliano

Hi, I am a licended guide of Rome. You can give a look at my Internet Site www.romaculta.com to get the most out of your visit in Rome. Ciao

Old May 26th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Susan

Dear Anne-Marie,

I highly recommend Caravella Italia tours. Took a tour with them in 1988 with 8 friends. (Umbria, Tuscany and Rome). They were extremely professional and the entire trip was well planned.

The advantage of the tour was the completely hassel free way that things were planned. Each day, a guide for a city, a special meal, and/or unique activity. But lots of free time as well. All the hotels they booked were first rate (small, interesting and friendly staff).

This is the only "tour" I have taken, as I usually prefer to plan on my own. But I was impressed that they offered unique experiences that I would not have found on my own.

That said, they are rather pricey, but the groups are small and the service is personalized.

Whatever you decide, have a great anniversary!

Susan

Old May 26th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Susan

Sorry, make that 1998 in post above.

Susan