Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please recommend good family restaurants/cafes in Latin Quarter of Paris

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:31 PM
Bill

My family of 4 (kids 14/11) will be in Paris this June and we're staying at the Hotel Grandes Ecoles in Paris's Latin Quarter (just east of the Pantheon and between the Cardinal Lemoine and Place Monge subway stops).

I'd be interested in hearing any recommendations you might have regarding dining in the area. We probably are looking for lower to moderate priced places that would have great atmosphere and good food that would appeal to adults and kids.

If you know of great bakeries, bars or other types of establishments that would be great too.

As always your advice is appreciated.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:03 PM
elaine

Hi
I just brought to near the top of the list on the left (temporarily)for you
the similar topic titled
"Simpler Meals in Paris"
Just scroll down a bit and you'll see it

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:56 PM
Statia

I can't remember the name of it, but there is an alleyway in Paris in the Latin Quarter with lots of restaurants geared towards tourists. They have fixed price menus in English and we found the restaurants in this area to be very affordable.

It's also a good area for people watching and is bustling at dining times.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Nikki

The bakery Maison Kayser at 8, Rue Monge, always had a line out the door, which is what attracted me to it. Wonderful croissants and pain au chocolat, the bread looked terrific, and I had a great fruit tart. Sunday morning the families coming out of the church across the street came and lined up for bread and pastries.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:07 AM
wendy

Nikki is right!

We loved meeting Eric Kayser and right now he is one of the 'up and coming' and respected bakers in Paris right now... he actually has two bakeries on the same street, a few street numbers apart, number 8 (conventioanl bakery and cake shop)and number 14 (19th century shop for organic and traditonal 'ancienne' recipes)...one specializes in Organic breads, and the other in viennoiseries. We took a tour of the back kitchens and I've never seen such 'pride' taken in work being done! Everything they have is tasty fresh and fabulous. He told us that 'bread is like wine, so many characteristics bring out it's personality, with different results every day, and the aromas and tastes are what I want to share" ... his wife is from Brittany and the two of them playfully compete over whose 'regional' breads and traditional recipes are best...they even label these in the store...with a bread/cake/tart named half from her region and the other half named from his... worth the trip definitely! Like BritParis, or ancienne modern...

Bon Appetit!
~Wendy~

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Beverly

If your kids would like to try different crepes filled with such sweets as chocolate, whipped cream, jams (confiture), creme de marron (chestnut) etc., try Creperie de Cluny in the Latin quarter, a bustling diner-like restaurant. north of St. Germain Blvd. Not sure of exact street but it is around if not on Rue St. Severin.