Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please recommend a 2 BR apartment in Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-recommend-a-2-br-apartment-in-amsterdam-1676919/)

iregeo2 Jan 26th, 2020 12:34 PM

Please recommend a 2 BR apartment in Amsterdam

Hello. My 88 yo dad and I will be staying in Amsterdam for a few days in April prior to a river cruise. Can you recommend a 2 bedroom apartment? I do have a map, but am unfamiliar with the city.

Thanks.

tera_denten Jan 26th, 2020 01:08 PM

We stayed in a wonderful Airbnb in Amsterdam, but unfortunately, it was a one bedroom so I can't help there. But I do recommend the Jordaan neighborhood! It's perfect!

janisj Jan 26th, 2020 02:13 PM

Most short term rentals in central Amsterdam are illegal if they rent for more than 30 days a year. For just a few days stay in a hotel.

iregeo2 Jan 26th, 2020 08:09 PM

Thanks. Anyone else?

MoBro Jan 26th, 2020 09:22 PM

Would you consider two adjoining rooms? The Hotel Residence le Coin is well-located, with large rooms and kitchenettes.

menachem Jan 26th, 2020 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by iregeo2 (Post 17052987)
Hello. My 88 yo dad and I will be staying in Amsterdam for a few days in April prior to a river cruise. Can you recommend a 2 bedroom apartment? I do have a map, but am unfamiliar with the city.

Thanks.

Please please please book a hotel or a an aparthotel and have a great holiday in the knowledge that you're not contributing to Amsterdam's housing crising. Most apartments on the market for shortstay lets are illegal.

menachem Jan 26th, 2020 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by tera_denten (Post 17053011)
We stayed in a wonderful Airbnb in Amsterdam, but unfortunately, it was a one bedroom so I can't help there. But I do recommend the Jordaan neighborhood! It's perfect!

Please don't rent apartments there. They're illegal.

menachem Jan 26th, 2020 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by iregeo2 (Post 17053223)
Thanks. Anyone else?

Pension Homeland's apartments at the Navy Yard, Zoku on Weesperstraat, YAY's serviced apartments etc: can all be found through booking.com.

Please have some consideration for ordinary Amsterdam residents and don't help exploit their rental market.

menachem Jan 26th, 2020 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by iregeo2 (Post 17052987)

Thanks.

Actually, Pension Homeland's apartments would suit you fine, as they're right opposite the cruise terminal, but on a calm, green, island, yet with easy access to the city.

janisj Jan 26th, 2020 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by iregeo2 (Post 17053223)
Thanks. Anyone else?

Maybe the concept of illegal needs some explaining . . . ?

iregeo2 Jan 27th, 2020 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 17053246)
Maybe the concept of illegal needs some explaining . . . ?

No, but thank you for your offer, And thank you to the rest of you who have made suggestions. I have inquired of all of them.

MoBro Jan 27th, 2020 07:27 AM

Good luck. We loved Amsterdam.

Isn’t it nice, how respondents assume your question indicates you are trying to do something illegal? Had the same pile-on happen to me once, also. Maybe we can assume the best, not the worst of people. Just a thought.

iregeo2 Jan 27th, 2020 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MoBro (Post 17053401)

Isn’t it nice, how respondents assume your question indicates you are trying to do something illegal? Had the same pile-on happen to me once, also. Maybe we can assume the best, not the worst of people. Just a thought.

Hi MoBro! Good to "see" you!

menachem Jan 27th, 2020 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MoBro (Post 17053401)

I'm just asking people not to contribute to what's going on at the moment.
Tourists don't and can't know what they're booking. So I'm making people aware of what the context is. Why is that a "pile-on".
Easy enough to do the ethical thing and book an (apart)-hotel. What's so awful about that?

Adding. Amsterdam has fewer than 1M inhabitants, but 18M tourist visits annually. So, where you put your money in the city has a very real impact on Amsterdammers' lives. Why is it so awful to be aware of this and acting accordingly.

iregeo2 Jan 27th, 2020 09:28 AM

Hello menacham. I very much appreciate your input.

Unfortunately, Pension Homeland does not rent apartments for less than 1 week, and all of Zoku's XXL units with 2 bedrooms are booked. I have yet to try Yaay's, but will.

FWIW, I'm not sure MoBro was referring to you.

Enjoy the day.

hetismij2 Jan 27th, 2020 09:32 AM

April is peak Amsterdam. If your father is up to it maybe consder another city and travel in by train a couple of times, rather than struggling to find something in a good area of the city.

iregeo2 Jan 27th, 2020 09:54 AM

hetismij2, thanks so much for your reply. I would love it if you would recommend some areas to stay. As I said, I have a detailed map, but am completely unfamiliar with the city. Also, my father is in excellent condition for his age, so we are willing to do a fair amount of walking. Our must sees include the Anne Frank House and several of the museums.

Thank you.

hetismij2 Jan 27th, 2020 10:12 AM

Well you could try Haarlem, which is the most obvious alternative to Amsterdam. It is a lovely small city and you may enjoy a visit to it anyway. Utrecht is another possibilty. There are smaller towns around as well.
Do be sure to buy your tickets for the Anne Frankhuis as soon as they are on sale online. You can only go with timed entry tickets and they will be even more popular than usual in April.
You don't say when in April you are planning on going but bear in mind that Easter weekend falls on the 12th of April and 13th is a bank holiday though the museums will be open as normal. Also Kings Day is on April 27th, and Amsterdam will be even busier that day.

iregeo2 Jan 27th, 2020 10:16 AM

hetismij2, thank you. We do wish to stay in Amsterdam, though. Would you please tell me what areas you refer to which are good areas in Amsterdam?

Many thanks.

menachem Jan 27th, 2020 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by iregeo2 (Post 17053499)
hetismij2, thanks so much for your reply. I would love it if you would recommend some areas to stay. As I said, I have a detailed map, but am completely unfamiliar with the city. Also, my father is in excellent condition for his age, so we are willing to do a fair amount of walking. Our must sees include the Anne Frank House and several of the museums.

Thank you.

First of all: it's good not to stay in the centre of town: crowded and expensive, and a little tatty.

Because of easy access to the centre though, anywhere along the new #52 would be a good idea. So that would get you: Around the Vijzelgracht stop, De Pijp and a bit of Oud Zuid (Museums! Vondelpark!) and Rivierenbuurt (the quietly genteel part of the city).

All also prime hotel territory and prices are high in Amsterdam. Which weeks of April are you traveling?