Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please reassure me about our luggage in the rental car!

Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

We leave on Friday for Germany (ack!) and I'm sooooo worried about my 26" suitcase fitting in the the rental car. My mother will have a 22 or 24".

We'll either be in an Opal Astra or something similar - a Compact car through Avis.

My worst nightmare is getting there and our luggage not fitting. My only other option is a 22" but I just do NOT think I can pack in it for a full week. I'm not that good, but am wondering if I should make it work somehow?

thanks!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM

What company did you rent from? Call and ask for the dimensions of the trunk. Or go online. AutoEurope has detailed information about that,for example.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

It's through AutoEurope, and I emailed them last week and haven't heard back. I suppose I should call them - the cubic feet listed on the website isn't helping me much.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
ira

Hi NYC,

If you click on the car icon, it will tell you how much luggage will fit.

>My only other option is a 22" but I just do NOT think I can pack in it for a full week.

How come your mother can?

Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

ha! I just found out hers is more like 28 x 18". I still think we'll be ok. These are just the sort of things that send me into last-minute panic arrests.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
ira

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!

You might not be able to fit a 28 and a 26 into the luggage space.

1 large and 1 small is what the agency sites say for a 4dr Astra.

You will need an Astra Wagon (estate). The price is about the same at AE.

Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM

Of course you can both suitcases in the *car*....but you won't be able to keep both full size suitcases out of sight. One of them will probably end up in the back seat.
A 28" suitcase is really huge for just a week. I am NOT one of those who think that the only correct way to travel is with everything in a 22" or smaller suitcase, but it sounds like the two of your are taking too much. One of you might do better to pack two small suitcases instead of one big one.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM

We had this problem when we went to Alberta, Canada. However, since our luggage wouldn't fit, they gave us an upgrade!! Our original car was a hatchback and the thingy that is supposed to cover your luggage in the rear area, didn't even fit. Wish I could remember the company we went with. Definitely wasn't Hertz or Avis. Maybe it was Enterprise.

The fact that they upgraded us to give us a car that our luggage would fit itn, probably is due to whomever we were lucky enough to get when we went to pick up the car.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

uuuugh. ok. now I have an ulcer.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM

The website of the rental agency should show the car you are renting and it will tell you what size suitcases can fit in the designated luggage area. You need to try to get a car where the luggage will be as out of sight as possible.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM

I just went on autoeurope and they have both the Opal Astra and Opal Astra Wagon for the same price. The wagon holds 2 large and 2 small pieces of luggage. If you are renting at the airport, you should have a good selection of cars for your voucher. It will be an Opal or a comparable make/model. Just tell the rental clerk your needs, and you shouldn't have any problems.

No need to stress before your trip. BTW, autoeurope has an 800 toll free number -- give them a call. 800 223 5555 or 207-842-2000.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM

If it is just the two of you and both cases don't fit, the back seat usually folds down so you can slide both in side by side. Yeah, they may not be completely hidden, but I really would not be worried about them being stolen in Germany. Italy or Spain, maybe (but probably not).
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

That's what AutoEurope said - I called and they don't have any upgrades for the next size up, but I can request the Opal wagon when we get there. Even so, he said I shouldn't have a problem because of the back seat folding down.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM

If that is your worse nightmare, good for you!! Like others have said, it should work out ok. If you are just using the car to get to one place where you will be staying, another option is a luggage rack on top of the car. We have resorted to that a few times. Don't worry.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

I woulnd't personally be too excited about leaving luggage in the back seat in many cities in the US. When visiting tourist attractions you will find pros (or they will find you) who watch for such things.

When a friend and I had a four-door, five passenger Alfa in italy we barely put two 26 in bags in the trunk. Almost needed olive oil to ease the way.

It's a genuine concern; those who rent frequently know that you might get an upgrade or just as easily get the last car. Or the upgrade may be at full price, rather than a gereous offer.

So - I'd nix the 28 if possible. Also, if you are coming from the same location, share some of the space in the big bag and small one. Mix a few items of each in each bag just in case of worst scenario lost bag. (that's next-to-worst, ONE lost bag. Worst would be both!)
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM

you are only going for a WEEK. Unless your mom is taking a kitchen sink to a friend in Europe there really is no reason she needs a 28 inch bag. Plus - a 28 incher filled up could definitely be overweight. How is she going to handle that suitcase once you are in Europe?

Now - I do a week in a 19 inch rollaboard - I'm not recommending that. But anyone should be able to get a week's worth into a 22 or 24 inch suitcase.

You should both try to downsize and then the car will be one less thing you need to worry about
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM

We address this problem by taking a small (carry on size) 22" rolling bag and an additional small duffle size bag for each person. These are much more flexible and easier to fit into whatever configurtion you have in the trunk. These sizes also make it possible to carry luggage on at either end of the trip so that if your luggage is delayed at least you have some things for the first couple of days. We usually take one rolling bag on board with a change of clothes for everybody in it along with anything else we don't want to lose, like tour books and materials, medicines, etc. Also, much lighter to carry up stairs, etc.

I cannot understand how the rental companies justify the number and sizes of luggage they say will fit, because they don't!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM

Try having you and your mom take your belongings and fitting them into the smaller bags. It's very possible that you "think" you need the larger bag, but if you try, you will be OK with the smaller one. You don't need lots of airy space in a packed suitcase.

If you don't have any extra room for souvenirs on return, you can add a soft sided duffle bag or two.

Just remember on the trip home, if you check the duffle bag, to put just clothes in it - put your souvenirs in the rollerboard as it will be more protective.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

You can travel for a month in a 22" rolling suitcase. You'll be glad you down-sized. It is so much easier. Only your mother will know how often you wore an outfit. Pick items that interchange. You, no doubt, have your favorite color combinations.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I think she's bringing the big bag to account for purchases, like a cuckoo clock. I'll talk to her and see if we can figure something out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO