Reload this Page >

Please rate the Familia, Grande Ecoles and St. Jacques#1, 2 or #3

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:43 PM
joyce

I'm brain dead. Have it down to these 3. How would you rate them?

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Patsy Klontz

I stayed at Familia about a year ago. It is well located and run by a reasonably friendly family. We rented a quad several nights and also a double one night. The rooms are small but adequate. The quad was on the ground floor and quite noisy both from the street and people at the desk. I would try to avoid the street. No serious reservations. I know nothing about the other two. PJK

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 05:08 PM
becky

the st. jacques was pretty average. it was clean and the front desk was helpful. my only problems with it were that it smelled musty and the walls were very thin. you could hear everything.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 04:48 AM
patty

I'm going to Paris with a friend in March and was thinking of either St. Jacques or Grande Ecoles. <BR> <BR>Becky - why was St. Jacques just average? It looks beautiful, comfortable and charming, it's the right price, great location. I was leaning towards this one, although the Grande Ecoles has always gotten raves, I don't remember ever reading any negatives. <BR> <BR>Thanks, patty

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Lori

I can only comment on the FAmilia. I have stayed there 3 time in the past 2 years. It is clean with modern bathrooms, the rooms are small but adequate. I never had any problem with street noise as the windows are double glazed, but it is noisy if you leave the windows open. The staff is wonderful and go out of their way to ensure that you are having a pleasant stay. Great area, 2 metro stops close by, lots of restaurants and cafes, and walking distance to Notre Dame, and the Pantheon.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 09:35 AM
vanessa

HI FROM SOUTH AFRICA, <BR>MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM PARIS. WE STAYED AT FAMILIA , I LOVED IT. DOUBLE ROOM 5TH FLOOR.ONLY STREET NOISE IF YOU LEVE THE WINDOW OPEN. ERIC AND FAMILY ARE GREAT! <BR>TRIED TO GET ACCOM AT GRAND ECOLES , QUIET SETTING , ROOMS AROUND A BEAUTIFUL GARDEN - LOOKS GREAT. <BR>TRIED TO GET ACCOM AT ST JAQUES - WERENT VERY HELPFUL. <BR>I WOULD RECOMMEND THE FAMILIA - GREAT LOCATION.ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 12:47 AM
Anne

Grandes Ecoles is my favorite in Paris. Nice garden, quiet, and quintessentially French. Underpriced, nice district, and close to the metro.... what else is there in life??

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 02:22 AM
jan

Joyce, <BR>My sister in law loves the Grande Ecoles and highly recommended us staying there on our recent trip to Paris. Unfortunately we couldn't get a reservation. She thinks the hotel is quite charming and loves its location in the Latin Quarter.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Patty

Am I that computer illiterate? I can't find a web site or other pertinent information on either Familia or Grandes Ecoles. Help! Anyone?

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Marzy

Patty, <BR>They do not have web sites but you can get some info from www.123france.com. Lots of links to get to the hotels but just follow hotels, hotels,

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Christina

I'm pretty sure the Grandes Ecoles is on www.france-hotel-guide.com The Familia doesn't seem to participate on these hotel booking sites very much.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 04:32 AM
elaine

try the hotel section of www.paris.org <BR>for information

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 05:14 AM
Paige

I've stayed at the Hotel St-Jacques 3 times and really like it. I think it's nice and comfortable but I agree with what someone said above about the walls being thin. I seem to remember overhearing every word of our neighbors' conversations. One other point, we stayed there once in August. There's no air conditioning and we definitely needed it. It was too noisy with the windows open.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Kimerley

Hotel des Grandes Ecoles can be found at www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005ecoles2.htm <BR>I wanted to book for July 2001. They kindly emailed me back that they will accept booking for July from 15 March 2001. <BR>Familia, did not contact me when I sent a fax.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:54 AM
sally

We stayed at the Familia in June of l999 with a family of four. OK, I tried to save a little money and reserved a quad room. It was on the ground floor with metal curtains to keep out street noise. It was cramped and ugly and we couldn't decide whether it was worse to sit in the dark, avacaodo green room or open the metal shutters and have people rev up their motorcycles outside our window. The unfriendly woman at the desk acted surprised that anyone would want to change their room. It was very unpleasant and I urge you to try another hotel or at least emphasize you want a room on a higher floor. I'm a little disturbed by the glowing comments from Fodor's! It has shaken my faith in referrals!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:52 PM
Steve

Hi, <BR> <BR>One word of warning..we booked the Hotel Familia but when we arrived with confirmation in hand, we we told sorry full! The sent us next door and that hotel was nice but the walls were so thin we heard people sneezing and talking next door. Try Hotel Muguet in the 5th...great place and very reasonable...ask for 5th floor street...view of the effiel tower, quiet and only 550FF a night! ($75)

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 11:48 PM
Melissa

Just an addendum to Steve's warning: If the Familia sends you to the hotel they own next door (The Minerve), DON'T TAKE IT!! I stayed at the Minerve earlier this year and hated it. The fat man at the front desk ruined my trip. Their service is bad, and the staff is arrogant (and they are not even French!). I wasn't the only one complaining, either.