Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please put your two cents into my TRAVEL BOOK!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Italian Stallion

I am going to Italy in the near future and would like to read the wonderful advice of people on this site while flying over. I want to print this thread so as I go from location to location I can read the advice of you experts! Let me give you my travel itinerary and if you have any suggestions for any location please post. Already have hotels lined up, so I am looking for thoughts on sites to see, help with transportation from one to another, things not to miss, etc. I do know some will think I'm crazy for the pace but I wanted to include all these sites! <BR><BR>Arrive in Venice, Italy around 9 am and stay there the first night.<BR><BR>Next morning we head to Siena. I guess we will take a train to Florence and then a bus to Siena? Still looking to find if the bus depot is located near the train.<BR>This night and the next night will be spent in Siena.<BR><BR>On the morning of the fourth day we will go to Sorrento for the next three nights. <BR><BR>After three nights in Sorrento we will go to Rome for two nights.<BR><BR>Thankyou for the advice.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Marc David Miller

Why don't you look in the previous postings on Italy for all these topics? It would be far more comprehensive than relying on a custom report.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Rex

I have excerpted most of this from (my own posting on) a previous thread. <BR><BR>Maybe you can get other people to do something similar for you (or do it for yourself) - - find worthwhile snippets, relevant to your trip and paste them in here for you.<BR><BR>There is much to enjoy at the various enoteche (plural of enoteca) and wine bars IN Rome.<BR><BR>====================================< BR><BR>The best ones (wine bars) I have visited (and sadly, I have failed to make note of the name of many of them) are not "bars" as we might ordinarily think of such, nor places where people go "to eat" - - though they DO sell wine by the glass, sometimes have (a few) tables - - and a variety of appropriate things to eat with wine, including panini (sandwiches) or actual piatti (courses). Some might be part formaggeria or salumeria, but most are first and foremost wine SHOPs. <BR><BR>I guess you can go anytime in the afternoon or evening (doesn't seem like a "morning" kind of activity to me) - - whenever they are open. For what it's worth, I have sometimes gone at what we might call "happy hour" - - and from there, went on to a restaurant carrying a half-dozen bottles in a shopping bag. And while I might not try this in a "fancy" restaurant, I have also asked the waiter if we could have one of my purchased bottles with our meal, and I have NOT gotten funny looks (probably some nominal fee for "corkage" and the glasses was added to the bill - - don't remember, and I would have expected it). <BR><BR>Proprietors seem to think it entirely normal that you come to spend an hour or more there to talk about wine, taste wines, and of course buy wines. They often have a dozen or two bottles already open to sell you a glass, or offer you just a taste. And they will always open and pour for you what you buy - - especially after you sample your way through some they already have open and point them in the direction of "more like this..." or "like this, but not so... whatever..." <BR><BR>One of the few I can name for sure is Buccone on via di Ripetta (near Pzza del Popolo). <BR><BR>A search on Yahoo for enoteche will produce 1000's of hits, and tons of lists in various towns; many of these sites will be in Italian only, but usually a picture or two, the name address, telephone number. And www.vinit.net has a listing for every province in Italy.<BR><BR>Best wishes, <BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:28 AM
xxx

BUY A GUIDEBOOK!!!! Create your own trip by reading a guidebook and choosing what interests you. Or stay home.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:22 AM
anon

Can we prove xxx wrong, and show that there are far more nice people on this forum than snippy mean ones?<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Italian Stallion

Thankyou Rex. Din't know this would bother people. I do have guide books but I have heard great comments never found in guidebooks on this board. Hoping some people could give a bit of interesting advice I can take with me.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Tim

I think (but don't hold me to this) that this bus station in Florence is next to or behind the trains station. I do know that it's the SITA bus, one of Italy's intercity bus lines. If I dig thru my files I might be able to excavate a website for SITA. Seens that whenever I try to find it, it's not easily done.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:24 PM

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Holly

The bus station in Florence is across the street and around the corner from the train station. As you are facing the train tracks, exit the door on your left. (If you go out the door on the right, all those orange buses are the local in-town buses.) Try this for a schedule to Siena:<BR>http://www.hotelmodernosiena.it/bus_line.htm<BR><BR>Don't know if it's current, but it'll at least give you an idea of the frequency.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:30 PM
La Princessa

Your name deserves no advice.