Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please, info regarding Easter mass at St. Peter's in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-info-regarding-easter-mass-at-st-peters-in-rome-171285/)

ron Mar 12th, 2002 08:12 PM

Please, info regarding Easter mass at St. Peter's in Rome

I will arrive at 6a.m. on Easter Sunday in Rome, and am thinking of whether or not I should wonder over to St. Peter's for the 10:30 mass. I have heard one needs tickets. Is this true? Where can I get tickets? Are the tickets to go inside the basilica? Is it possible to just go to the square without tickets and see something? Is it too crowded?Maybe I should just forget Easter and go later during the week.<BR>All these questions. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.<BR>Ron<BR>

topper Mar 13th, 2002 03:51 PM

topping for help.<BR>

ttt Mar 13th, 2002 07:10 PM

ttt

Margo Mar 14th, 2002 03:28 AM

Courious too, as I will be in Rome over Easter.<BR>I'm sure somebody is out there to answer this. Anybody there in Roma?<BR><BR>Margo

ttt-ttt Mar 14th, 2002 07:10 AM

up,up,up<BR>I know we have several posters who live in Italy. At least one person who's a tour guide in Rome. Due to time difference, maybe they'll see this thread once getting off work.

Sue Mar 14th, 2002 08:46 AM

If the mass is outside, you can stand outside of the ring of barriers and listen to the mass. You need a ticket to get inside the barriers and sit on a chair. I went to a Sunday mass and sweet-talked a guard into giving us tickets so we got in. For Easter, I would definitely try to get a ticket ahead of time if you want to sit. There were large screen TVs on each side of the square so you could see the mass from the back if you want to stand.

ron Mar 14th, 2002 06:44 PM

Sue,<BR>Thanks for the basic info. I guess I should just go take a chance and see what's there. If it is too mobbed then I can always find someplace else to see.<BR><BR>Anybody know how to get tickets?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Ron<BR>

John Mar 19th, 2002 03:59 AM

I'm a tour guide with Scala Reale here in Rome. TIckets are available free of charge but must be obtained earlier than Easter day. By then they will probably all have been taken.<BR><BR>Usually, tickets are available from the big bronze door at the end of the right colonnade where the Swiss Guards are standing post. Tickets are issued for major Masses as well as the Pope's Wednesday audience which in warm weather is also out doors in St. Peter's square.<BR><BR>It is true, however, that the ticket guarantees you a seat; but if you're willing to stand for a while, there should be space in St. Peter's Square where Papal Mass will be held. Easter is one of the most popular days to visit the Basilica and attend the Mass so crowds will be heavy.

FRED Mar 19th, 2002 03:10 PM

WE WERE THERE LAST EASTER SUNDAY APPROX 8:30-9:00 SAT IN THE SECOND RING OF SEATS W/O TICKETS.ANY LATER YOU STAND FOR A LONG TIME.SIT ON THE OUTER SEATS AS THE POPE RIDES AROUND IN HIS LITTLE JEEP NOT POPEMOBILE.ITS A MUST -HE IS SAINTLY IN HIS EFFORTS TO BYPASS HIS AFFLICTIONS.IF YOU ARE CLOSED MINDED RE:HIM AND THE PEOPLE OF THE CHURCH-STAY IN BED-OTHERWISE ITS AN EXPERIENCE YOU REMMEMBER THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.FORGET POLITICS AND ENJOY

ron Mar 19th, 2002 08:37 PM

Since I'll be arriving at 6am THAT very day (that's if I'm lucky and assuming the plane even gets there on time), I would be in a rush to get to the square before 9am. I'll just see how time goes. Also, since I can't get tickets in advance either, I guess I'll just have to take my chances and see what's happening. <BR><BR>Ron

Rex Mar 20th, 2002 06:49 PM

topping, for Julia...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex