Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please, I need some suggestions of good Mountain towns in the Italian Alps in November? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-i-need-some-suggestions-of-good-mountain-towns-in-the-italian-alps-in-november-255663/)

susie Sep 3rd, 2002 07:35 PM

Please, I need some suggestions of good Mountain towns in the Italian Alps in November?

Inquiring about the best mountain towns in Italy for an adventurous honeymoon couple the first week in November. They like to hike, mountain bike, ski ....but realize November is off season, or mid=season for a lot of acivities. What is the difference between the western Italian alps around Aosta, and the eastern alps in the dolimites. I think they would be flying into Zurich, and would possibly do some of Switzerland also. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Rex Sep 3rd, 2002 08:25 PM

Ther are several others here who are very knowledgeable about towns in the alpine north of Italy - - but I think that there are many good answers to this question. In particular, I am very impressed with Trento - - on the road that leads up to Bolzano/Innsbruck (BrennerPass).<BR><BR>And I greatly enjoyed a drive from Ventimiglia up over the col du Larche to the French Queyras years ago.<BR><BR>Neither of these tell you about Aosta, nor Cortina and the eastern mountains (Dolomites) - - but my two for two limited experiences suggests that there are no bad Italian alpine destinations.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

up Sep 4th, 2002 03:18 AM

for susie<BR>

Martha Sep 4th, 2002 03:40 AM

Susie: We just spent three days in Castelrotto/Kastelruth -- often called the gateway to the Dolomites and the Alpe Siusi. It is about 45 minutes by bus from Bolzano/Bozen. There is lots of good hiking right there -- or you have easy access by bus to other places. We were there in late May and the weather was wonderful -- however, I would expect that weather in November could be very unpredictable and you could face the possibility that some of the roads might be closed (at least that is what they always warn about.) The town of Cortina is on the other of the Alpe Siusi (the western side) -- we didn't have time to go there, but I have heard it is very charming, though expensive. Compared to Switzerland, the Dolomites are dryer and less lushly green -- more craggy in a way. However, they are just as lovely. The western Italian alps are more Swiss looking in a way and higher also, I think. However, I've only seen the western Italian Alps by looking over from the Swiss side.

Wayne Sep 4th, 2002 05:45 AM

First of all, the Alps in November, most everywhere, will be cool to cold and also foggy/rainy/possibly snowy from time to time. Given that, and assuming you are already willing to accept the weather, I would give the following suggestion based on having been all across all the Italian Alps.<BR><BR>My favorite area is the Alto Adige, from Bolzano west into Switzerland, in a swath about 50 miles wide. There aren't a whole lot of large cities, rather there are wonderful small villages. You would probably enjoy settling into any of them for your entire stay. One of the larger, charming towns is Merano, a favorite of mine.<BR><BR>My second most favorite area is the mountainous section from Bolzano north and east to Cortina--the Dolomites and surrounding country. If you are driving, you can enjoy traveling through any one of the several mountain passes and valleys, and exploring the villages along the way.<BR><BR>Others will rave about the Val d'Aosta, and that area is also lovely. You couldn't go wrong there, either; but it happens to be third on my list. No matter which you (or your friends) choose, it will be enjoyable.

Steve James Sep 4th, 2002 07:26 AM

Hello Susie,<BR><BR>My favourite areas are the Dolomites east of Bolzano - around the Sella Massif (Val Badia /Val Gardena), - as well as the Pale di San Martino, the Cortina area & the Sesto Dolomites.<BR><BR>Skiing in November may be difficult ... unless they go somewhere with easy access to glacier skiing.<BR><BR>November is definitely low season for this area, and most cable-cars/chairlifts etc. will be closed.<BR><BR>Weather may be very unpredictable as others have said. My suggestion might be to stay somewhere like ORTISEI, - where they have easy access to the central Dolomites if the weather's good, OR to Bolzano and other places at low altitude (e.g. Merano, Trento, the Wine Route, ... etc. in the event of bad weather.<BR><BR>For some wonderful views of the area, have a look at:-<BR>www.dolomiti.it/eng/fototour/estate.htm<BR>www.dolomiti.it/eng/fototour/inverno.htm<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve

top Sep 29th, 2002 09:39 AM

topping. curious, what if any decisions susie eventually made.<BR>