Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help with trip planning to Spain next September/October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-with-trip-planning-to-spain-next-september-october-1027242/)

gfa23 Oct 6th, 2014 05:46 PM

Please help with trip planning to Spain next September/October

Hi

My husband and I are native New Yorkers in our mid-sixties, still working. We would like to travel to Spain for about 12 or 13 nights. I visited Madrid on a European trip many years ago. I would only like to return to Madrid to see The Prado again and perhaps go to Toledo. My husband may want to still see something of Madrid. I want to focus on wonderful, atmospheric smaller cities/towns for art, food, wandering on charming streets and squares. I think Audulucia fits the bill. We will not be renting a car. My questions are: should I start in Madrid briefly?; would it help to go on some organized tours and/or use a private guide to get oriented and see things we couldn't do without a car?; how should we travel between cities and towns? I am concerned about moving around too much with luggage. Also, we want to end the trip with being somewhere in Andulusia that could be relaxing, not overwhelming but still interesting. Is it worth going to any seaside town, including Malaga? What difference does it make if we go in September vs. October?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Much thanks!

Sassafrass Oct 6th, 2014 06:56 PM

Although a car is really nice for a few days in Andalusia, especially between Seville and Granada and on the coast, you can do everything by train and bus.

Mid to late September would be lovely, starting to cool down a bit.

Even though you want the relaxing place at the end, if you are flying in and out of Madrid, I would put all my time there at the end. You want to be in the departure city the night before departure anyway. You don't want to be rushing back and no need to change hotels twice.

Personally, I would land and take the fast train straight to Seville for at least four nights - gives you three days in Seville and you could use one of those for the day trip to Cordoba. Seville fills the bill for everything - very atmospheric, day and night.

Granada and the Alhambra is also, IMHO, a must and the central area is beautiful for walking.

Do not miss Toledo. Try to spend a night there. Also, Segovia has the beautiful square and small town atmosphere you seek and is an easy day trip from Madrid.

Some people love Cordoba and the mezquita is impressive. It is an easy day trip from Seville, but is also an easy stop on the way between Seville and Granada.

I have been to several very small towns on the coast (loved them all), but have not been to Malaga, so others can give you better advice there.

See if you can fly into Madrid and out of Malaga. Then you could put the coast at the end. Want to tell you though that, IMHO, the charm of Spain is in the towns and villages,

Sassafrass Oct 6th, 2014 07:07 PM

Accidentally did submit.
The coasts are beautiful, but you can see beautiful coasts many places, not Spanish towns anyplace else.

kja Oct 6th, 2014 08:10 PM

If you will be flying out of Madrid, I second Sassafrass's suggestion to put all of your time in Madrid at the end of your trip to eliminate an unnecessary "extra" hotel stay. If you haven't already booked, looking into open-jaw options makes a LOT of sense -- no reason to backtrack if you don't have to!

I also agree that you don't need a car -- use Spain's wonderful high-speed trains for the longer stretches and either trains or buses for the other connections (both are, IME, quite comfortable).

No need for a tour or private guide unless that is your preference -- a good guidebook (or two) should give you all the info you need. Of the 5 or so I used when planning my time in these parts of Spain, I thought the Rough Guide most useful.

IMO, 12 or 13 nights is perfect for Andalusia and a bit of Madrid and/or Toledo. Because it is more difficult to get to Andalusia than getting to Madrid, you might consider making Andalusia a higher priority.

It all depends on what you want to see and experience, but FWIW, I thought Sevilla worth at least 3 full days, Granada 2 full days (be sure to give Granada at least 2 nights to allow for day AND evening visits at the Alhambra), Cordoba 2 full days, and 1 full day for Ronda. Add in some time for Malaga or whatever...

Again, FWIW, I thought Madrid worth 4 days, Toledo 2 days, and Segovia 1 day (which might also include Avila, depending on pace and interests).

One thing to keep in mind as you plan: Many things in this part of Spain close on Mondays.

The best news is that you will see some wonderful things no matter what you choose. Enjoy!

kimhe Oct 6th, 2014 10:53 PM

I would suggest first a few days in wonderful Madrid. Central Madrid is almost made up of several small towns, very different and local feel areas.

Then take the high speed AVE Train to Sevilla, the undisputed queen of the cities in the South. 2 h 30 min from city center to city center, very comfortable. Make a day trip or stay overmight in Cordoba, around 1000 AD the most important city in Europa and the western world. 40 minutes from city center to city center with the AVE Train. (Buy the AVE tickets online in advance and save some 50 %, we payed some 34€ Sevilla-Madrid last week this way). For the local, small town feel, explore the Triana district and the area in and around C/ Feria up towards the Macarena Church.

Then go down to genuine Malaga city on the coast. Three thousand year old Malaka is one of my favourite cities in the country after some 25 years of intensive traveling in Spain. Had again some great days here a week ago. Great sights right in the city center (Roman theater, Moorish Alcazaba (fortress), the 16th century cathedral, the Thyssen museum, the Picasso museum, Picasso's birth-home + many other museums), but first and foremost great cafes, tapas bars, restaurants, theaters and laid-back atmosphere. Go to El Palo/Pedregalejo just east of the city center for excellent and affordable seaside restaurants that are very popular with locals. Go four hundred meters north of central Plaza de la Merced to the area around Plaza Victoria to immerse yourself in everyday life, cafes, bars and restaurants. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...-breaks-travel
The Malaga food scene: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...taurants-tapas

Robert2533 Oct 6th, 2014 10:57 PM

Late September is harvest time, with a number of celebrations. With two weeks, flying into Madrid, I would spend the first few days unwinding and enjoying one of Spain's greatest cities. After a few day trips (Toleda, Segovia, Cuenca), you can the take the AVE to Sevilla, where you can actually fly home from.

You have enough time to actually enjoy your trip without pushing it.

Egbert Oct 7th, 2014 11:18 AM

I agree with everyone really. I like to go direct to Sevilla and end the trip in Madrid but you can't go wrong either way.
Seville, Granada for two nights, Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla is great if you don't have two extra nights. Train for everything unless you really feel the need to see some of the really small "white villages" between Sevilla and Granada. Honestly the small cities in Andalucia are so incredible that I never find time for the small villages. Malaga is a great Andalucian coastal city and so is Cadiz. early Sep. can be 100 degrees in Andalucia, the end of Sep. will be very warm.

Egbert Oct 7th, 2014 11:21 AM

Oh and there is no need for a guide unless you want to spring for a very expensive personal tourguide for the Alhambra. If you're interested in that place a local Granaino guide cna make it an incredibly fascinating place as they are very proud of the Alhambra and many know intricate details and fascinating stories and legends about the place. You can also rent an audio guide with headphones for about 150 euros less.

gfa23 Oct 7th, 2014 04:43 PM

Thank you so much for all this advice! This is so helpful!