Please help with this itinerary to France, Netherlands and Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Planning to go the end of June with my husband and 3 teens. We have two weeks and I put together this initial itinerary. We will be flying JFK to Amsterdam and then back from Nice. We will also be renting a car. Will we have enough time in each place? All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Day 1-3 Amsterdam
Day 4 - Brussels
Day 5-8 Paris
Day 9,10 Provence
Day 11-13 Nice
Thank you!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Where are you renting the car? If you rent one in the Netherlands and leave it in Nice it will cost a lot in cross border one way drop off fees.
Use trains to get to Brussels, Paris and Provence and hire a car there maybe.
Does day 4 include travel to Brussels? Are you staying the night there before continuing to Paris?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM

I wouldn't rent a car for the Amsterdam-Paris portion of the trip. Not sure about the rest since I have not been there - however you wont need a car in the cities and you since you have a lot of locations for a 2 week trip, you won't have much time to stop in between cities. Better to just take the train.

For our trips, with 2 weeks, we limit ourselves to 3 cities/areas - so for me, the trip as you have it would be too rushed. I'd cut at least 1 destination out. I like Brussels, but since it looks like you are only planning to stop there enroute to Paris, I'd probably skip it entirely and spend more time in Amsterdam or Paris. That will loosen up your itinerary a bit and make it less rushed.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

I know the drop off in another country can be costly, but since we are five people, it always has been easiest for us to have our own car which will fit all our luggage, and then we feel we have more freedom. Thank you for pointing that out. As for staying the night in Brussels, I'm not sure. We will get up early on day 4 and drive and spend the day in Brussels. Ideally, I would prefer to drive to Paris that night, but I don't want to short change Brussels. I was only there once about 18 years ago so I don't really know what there is to do there for my teenagers.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Hi! I've been researching Amsterdam and Bruges and definitely would eliminate the Brussels stopover. Everyone I've talked to has suggested skipping it, and in your case the one night in the city sounds rushed when you could add that night to another city. Re: Provence and Nice, I might suggest adding a day to Provence and cutting one from Nice, but it's hard to tell how you are dividing your days/nights.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:45 AM

Well if you are set on renting a car do it when you are ready to leave Amsterdam, not on arrival. Parking is expensive and it is pointless having a car if you are only visiting the city.
I would still take the train to Brussels and Paris and hire the car there, but it is your choice. The one way fee could be as much as the rental cost for the car.
How early is early to Brussels? The rush hours in both the Netherlands and Belgium can be truly horrific, and add hours to what should be a simple journey. The same with getting out of Brussels again in the evening to continue to Paris. Without traffic it will take about 2 hours to drive to Brussels and another 3 to drive on to Paris.
The train to Brussels takes 1 hour 53 with the Thalys and gets you there relaxed and unstressed. If you book your tickets early enough you can get them for €25 pp.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 03:11 AM

Well you must have delightful teens! I don't think I would want to pack up and move your group as many times as your initial itinerary plan involves. I would just do Amsterdam, Paris and Nice - there really is enough to do in each of those places for 4 night stays. Also each location has day trip possibilities if you tire of the city. And I find taking the train in Europe part of the fun since for me, it is a more relaxing and enjoyable way to travel, not what we usually do here in the US. But overall, I think the plan should be a great itinerary for teens and a lovely time of year to enjoy each location.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I think perhaps we will use the train to get from Amsterdam to Brussels or Paris (still not decided about Brussels) and then rent the car to explore Provence and the Riviera. Our last few trips to Europe we have visited 4 locations in the 2 weeks and it has worked out perfectly for us. However, when I explore Provence, there is so much I want to see that maybe we should eliminate Brussels (my son is really into his model UN conferences and wants to go to Brussels very badly)?? Is there any way that 2 days would be enough to see the main attractions in Amsterdam?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM

2 days? Including your arrival day? No. Not really. You will be jet-lagged and tired on your first day, so should take it easy and just get a feel for the city. Second day you can rush around museums if you like, but really 3 days would be the minimum (some would say the maximum) for Amsterdam if you are flying from afar.
Otherwise I would seriously rethink your plans and go straight to Paris and spend your two weeks in France.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM

also: day 8 is Paris, day 9 is Provence (which part?) The drive per google maps is minimum 6 1/2 hrs picking Avignon as an example destination (so you've lost most of that day, regardless, and you're cramped and tired) - the high speed train paris to avignon I seem to recall at only about 3 hours, with good scenery along the way. Again, cost of rental car + fuel + ability to move around and watch the sights: I'd say totally save the car rental for once you're down south.
We were in Amsterdam in October - terrific! 4 adults, 3 days before we headed on to the rest of the trip: and we left sights unseen.
I love Provence, Nice was not really my cup of tea (we adore Paris and can't get there enough), Brussels is not on my lifelist, although Bruges is (as you said, you're not sure what your teens will do in Brussels) - I personally say survey your group and narrow down, and my suggestions would be as above: Amsterdam, Paris, and then either Nice or somewhere in Provence.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

jo_ann, can you tell me what you didn't love about Nice? Did you happen to go to Eze? We are not beach people at all but friends have told us that we can't not go to the Riviera, but perhaps we can. I'm thinking now that maybe Amsterdam, Bruges, Paris and Provence would be better. The only place I will miss seeing is Eze because it looks and sounds incredible, and perhaps Monaco?? Would love your opinion. And thanks hetismij - I will definitely spend an extra day in Amsterdam!