Please help with September France itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2018, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to get this right so would appreciate any help/criticism.

From Basel, Switzerland we are driving to either Colmar or Obernai for 5 nights. I was going to book Obernai due to being a smaller village and thus hopefully easier parking, but now having second thoughts.It seems Colmar might be more central to the Alsace region?I see that Mulhouse on the way to Colmar, has a National Automobile Museum which my husband loves and most of the well known villages are closer to Colmar.Would Obernai provide any advantages over Colmar?

Amiens for 4 nights. We’ll likely spend one night in Epernay to break the journey up.Our goal in Amiens is to visit many of the WW1 battlefield sites.

Bayeux for 4 nights – WW2 sites, tapestry. Day trip ideas to break this up would be great!

Mont St Michel for 1 night. Probably staying on the isle in some overpriced not so nice hotel but I’ve been told you just have to do it.

After MSM we have about 5 nights. Any suggestions about how to spend this time? I was thinking of St Malo for 3 nights and maybe 2 nights in Nantes to finish the holiday as we need to fly to Heathrow to get our flight back to Sydney and Nantes seems to be the most convenient airport.We are not planning to spend any time in London.Or would we be best to spend the whole 5 nights in St Malo and use this as a base.If so, any day trip ideas?We like easy hikes, history, exploring pretty villages, beautiful landscapes, nice food/wine, and one of us likes cars and motorbikes!

Thanks for any help!
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, if you haven't booked flights already, you could fly out of Paris. That would save time. Another thought is to get the ferry from St Malo to Portsmouth, then train to the airport. The ferry takes all day or overnight but is nicer than flying/airports/security etc. We are Australians too and used to live in the UK so did a lot of trips to Europe (cheap and quick!!). We had 4 nights in St Malo and loved it. We're heading back to France this September too, from Brisbane. Horribly long flight but worth it once you get there.

Kay
Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kay, we need to fly from London as getting a Qantas flight (not a codeshare with Emirates) via Singapore to visit relatives. I've heard mixed reports about St Malo. What did you like about it?
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:21 PM

You could easily do the Loire Valley from MSM too and see some of the famous chateaux - Amboise would make a lovely base. Tours has lots of flights too.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:42 PM

I don't think of Colmar as being the center of Alsace. It's a nice town, but IMO, meh! I love Obernai but would probably go nuts there for 5 nights. It's a decent enough base for visiting towns on the Route du Vin, but why aren't you spending any time in Strasbourg or north? Or the Route des Crêtes?

I've been to le Mont St-Michel at least a dozen times and never spent the night there - I guess I missed the memo that you have to do it. I've always stayed in Dol-de-Bretagne and enjoyed it immensely, but suit yourself.

Daytrips from Normandy: Alençon, La Vallée de la Misère, Fougères, Vitré........I'm not a fan of St-Malo -my husband finds it magical.You decide, but 5 nights there would be too much by far for me with all that great territory to discover nearby.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:12 PM

Near Bayeux is Ste-Mere-d'Eglise (sp?) where the local church has a stained glass window commemorating an American paratrooper who during assault of Normandy got snared by a cathedral tower. Very famous. I also liked Cherbourg though not the most comely of cities as like many in area blitzed in WW2 but found the old passenger ship terminal - a huge thing that once saw zillions of folks pass thru. Grandville to me is one really nice city nearby.

In Arrohamches there is a classic view of MSM far in distance across usually sandy bay from the Bishop's Garden in town center. Be sure to follow coast when driving to MSM and get views of MSM in distance getting ever closer - just like medieval pilgrims did but on foot - nearing the end of their long arduous journey in expectations of paryers being answered, whatever. Bagnoles-de-L'Orne is a once popular spa town.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 05:15 PM

Oops! Meant Avranches not Arrohamches (which should have been Arromanches!)

Try to stop by the Caen Memorial just outside Caen towards Bayeux for a great orientation to the Normandy Invasion battlefields- huge relief map and all-around neat museum/memorial.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ. Thanks for your reply - I'm sorry - I should have mentioned we had spent a lovely few days a few years back in Amboise and agree it is a fabulous town to visit the chateaux in the area. We spent a week in Paris also at the same visit.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi StCirq - Thanks for your opinions. I haven't heard of the Route des Cretes so I'm very glad you mentioned it. We like to spend a few days in one location rather than packing, unpacking every couple of days. We were going to take the train to Strasbourg as a day trip. Just didn't want to change hotels but maybe I might have to rethink splitting the time up. Any suggestions about where to stay other than Colmar or Obernai?

I'll check out your Normandy day trip suggestions.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again PalenQ - I like your suggestions. It's very rewarding to hear some of the history behind what we are looking at! Your story of the paratrooper is a classic example. I'll take it all on board.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 04:43 AM

Me, I would stay in Strasbourg and make all the others day trips. Or split the time between Strasbourg and Obernai.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 02:26 PM

Driving into and out of Strasbourg could be a hassle if doing day trips most days - but don't miss Strasbourg for a few days - very very neat old town. I liked Colmar as a base but I like larger towns over small ones - not everyone thinks that though. Don't need car in Strasbourg so rent when leaving for Obernoi or wherever. You may want to rent car in France not Switzerland if returning in France as could be very steep drop-off charges for picking up in one country and returning in another. Maybe take train to Strasbourg or Colmar and rent car when done with that big city.
Old May 24th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ - We like staying in pretty towns, similar to the size of Amboise, large enough to have different restaurants to choose from, easy parking (we parked onsite) and easy to drive in and out of, nice shops and those yummy bakeries. With the Switzerland car rental we heard we can drop off on the Swiss side (?airport I think) and pick another up on the French side to avoid the hefty fees.

StCirq - I'm going to look into Strasbourg, taking on board what you and PalenQ suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Old May 24th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed in Strasbourg for a week at Christmas a number of years ago. It was great, we enjoyed wandering around and exploring the city. We didn't have a car and caught the train to Colmar and Obernai for day trips. There was lots of atmosphere from the Christmas markets but we found it way too cold. The whole trip for me was marred by being frozen while outside. Even the fountains were solid ice.

We found St Malo a very attractive, walkable small town. It's right on the water which is always a plus for me, the food was good, the hotel we stayed was small and welcoming and right in the middle of things. It is hugely different from anything you would see in Australia so fascinating for us. We caught the ferry there and back so no airport hassles. The sun shone I have really good memories of the four day weekend there.

Kay
Old May 25th, 2018, 02:33 AM

Then you'll love Colmar if you liked Amboise - similar sized towns and Colmar perhaps a bit prettier with its Petite Venise area especially. You could day trip from there to Strasbourg where one full day would be great to see main sights - a larger town but not overnwhelmngly so. It also has a Petite Venise area that is quaint and offers boat trips that also go out to the newer EU buildings on edge of town.

SetMalo sometimes gets blah reviews here but to me it is a very unique town and though blitzed in WW2 the olf fortifications jhave been nicely rebuilt. Also nice sandy beach - for something different hop ferries from St-Malo to Britain's Channel Islands for a day - like Jersey or Guernsey - each with their own brand of cows.
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

After many hours of pondering and research, we decided to book 5 nights in Colmar and do a day trip by train to Strasbourg. I think it's going to be too much of a headache trying to stay there with a car. So decision finally made and accommodation booked!

Thanks again all who replied. All your answers really helped!