Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help with Paris hotel needed for mid June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-with-paris-hotel-needed-for-mid-june-319944/)

happy2travel May 23rd, 2003 04:53 AM

Please help with Paris hotel needed for mid June

Please help me find a decent well-located hotel for June 15, 16, and 17. I am willing to spend up to 150 Euros, but I would prefer something for less -closer to 100. I would also prefer the 7th or 6th arronsisements, if possible.

I was originally staying at the Mecure Tour Eiffel Suffren for 3 nights this June. Unfortunately, my hotel was switched to the Golden Tulip Porte de St. Cloud. I am not too happy about this change based on the maps I have looked at.

The Mecure was just a few minutes walk from Tour Eiffel, and not far from many wonderful restaurants, for which I have already made dining reservations. The Golden Tulip seems quite far from the center of Paris and it seems as if we will have to take the Metro to get to ANYTHING.

This hotel was booked as part of a package which is the reason I can't do much about it other than forfeit the money I paid for these 3 nights accommodations. When I was speaking to a customer service representative of the company, she said that I might be able to recive a partial refund of $160, which is questionable.

I am SERIOUSLY considering doing just that, forfeiting the money for a better location. I really do not want to be outside the city periphery since it seems it will take at least 40 mins, by metro, to get anywhere. That includes walking to the metro stop.I don't want to waste so much of my vacation time going back and forth to the hotel. That would be 2 round trips per day -1 for sightseeing and 1 for dinner.

I only found out about this change yesterday afternoon so I have not been able to do much research yet. As much as I have planned for this trip, I really haven't done much research on accommodations since I thought everything was set.

My Time Out Paris Guide mentioned Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche as a good budget choice. It is a 2 star hotel in the 7th on rue du Gros-Caillou. They have availabitity for these nights at a rate of 89 Euros/night. If anyone has info about this hotel, I would certainly appreciate it. But I would love any and all recommendations!

Thanks to all who can come to the rescue!

StCirq May 23rd, 2003 05:17 AM

The two hotels I normally stay at are in the 7th. One is the Duquesne-Eiffel, at 23, avenue Duquesne; the other, l'Hotel de France, 102 blvd. de la Tour Maubourg. The Duquesne is a 3-star, the de France a recently renovated 2-star. I like them both. Both are in/under your price range, within easy walking distance of les Invalides, Tour Eiffel, Place Ecole Militaire (nearest métro stop: Ecole Militaire). Lots of restaurants and cafés around, but also a residential neighborhood so it's fairly quiet at night. The Hotel de France has the benefit of having the restaurant d'Chez Eux right next door.

DonTopaz May 23rd, 2003 05:31 AM

I just checked on www.hrs.com for available Paris hotels arr 6/15 and depart 6/18, and they list dozens of 3* places for less than 150 Euro. Lots and lots of choices throughout the city; the Ascot Opera (130/night) would be in an excellent location for access to the Louvre, the big department stores, and the Marais.

As for the changing hotels: it seems to me that the tour package organizers have materially changed the trip by changing the hotel location -- it sounds like it's a much more significant move than just another hotel in a similar location. I'd encourage you to press them on this and to get a reasonable amount for 3 nights stay.

itswoody May 23rd, 2003 05:33 AM

If you purchased this tour based on staying at the Tour Eiffel Suffren, I don't see how they can change the hotel without your permission. That's bait & switch. Did you pay them with a credit card? If so, I would dispute the charge and not pay it. To stay by the Peripherique in Paris is ridiculous.

mclaurie May 23rd, 2003 05:50 AM

I felt so bad about your predicament I've spent the last hour doing web searches trying to "make lemonade out of lemon"-trying to find info about the 16th. All I've come up with is it's a very chic residential neighborhood which does happen to have some great museums (the area around Ave Pres. Wilson) BUT I've "hijacked" some hotel recos from another current post as follows:

www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr
www.hoteldulys.com

Here are some reasonably priced hotels in the 6th-Pas de Calais-fax# 01 45 44 94 57
hotel Saint Peres fax# 01 45 44 90 83
www.2continents-hotel.com
hotel Marrioners on rue Jacob fax# 01 40 46 83 56
in the 7th hotel Verneuil is lovely its near the Musee d'Orsay, request a large room www.france-hotelguide.com
Hotel Danube in the 6th

I happened to have stayed at the Pas du Calais a number of years ago. It was fine-nothing great but clean, comfortable & IMO well located on Rue de St Peres. Friends of mine (who are fussy) stay at the Hotel St Pere also on Rue de St Pere & like it very much.

Have you tried negotiating with the tour operator for a taxi allowance for staying in the 16th? Or have you checked to see if the hotel has courtesy shuttle service to some central point? For just 3 days it seems a shame to have to bag the hotel portion. Walking in Paris is a delight in decent weather. The 16th borders the 7th :) Good luck!

BTW, I think if it were me, I'd make lots of noise-maybe try calling the Mercure to see if rooms are avilable-if yes, call the tour operator & tell them you've checked & they're available etc. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

PLJ May 23rd, 2003 06:06 AM

Hi happy2travel, with regard to mclaurie's suggestion of L'Hotel de Fleurie - my husband and I stayed there for about ten days in Oct/00. Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel and I can certainly recommend it. I'd stay there again without hesitation. One tip - if you decide to stay there, book a room at the back as rooms "street-side" can be noisy when the garbage collectors arrive early a.m.

grandmere May 23rd, 2003 06:16 AM

My favorite, Hotel du Lys, is 110 euro, continental breakfast included. Small, quiet,lots of charm, super location in the 6th. Building dates from 17th century. www.hoteldulys.com

Good luck!

mclaurie May 23rd, 2003 06:19 AM

Happy2travel, have been thinking some more. Please POST the name of the tour operator who sold you this package so other Fodorites don't run into the same problem :) Also, if you decide to try to negotiate further with them, TELL THEM you're posting what happened to you on this website but if they make amends you will post that as well.

Just to set the record straight, all the hotel recos I posted were lifted from another thread PLJ, except where indicated :))

glassman May 23rd, 2003 06:24 AM

WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE, DO IT QUICKLY AS THERE IS SOME SORT OF TRADE SHOW AROUND THAT TIME AND ROOMS ARE FILLING UP FAST.
YOU MIGHT TRY CLUNY SQUARE IN THE 5th ON BLVD. ST. MICHEL OR THE RIVE GAUCHE IN THE 6th ON RUE ST. PERES. NOT GREAT BUT GOOD ENOUGH.

Travelnut May 23rd, 2003 06:37 AM

Try these hotels (fax or call directly). I have not personally stayed in them, but they are in your price range, have favorable comments, and at least 2 came back with 'availability.

1) on www.hoteldiscount.com, and also on www.hotels.com
HOTEL DE LA MOTTE PICQUET (3 star)
30 ave de la Motte Picquet
PARIS, 75007 Metro: Ecole-Militaire
http://www.hotelmottepicquetparis.com/
Tel: +33 1 47 05 09 57 / Fax: +33 1 47 05 74 36
This hotel was just renovated last fall, and earned an extra star.
Double $129.95 - $145

2) on www.parishotels.com:
HOTEL DE VARENNE (3 star)
44, rue de Bourgogne 75007
Paris 75007 Metro: Varenne
near Musee Rodin, close to 6th arr.
Tel: +33 1 45 51 45 55 / Fax: +33 1 45 51 86 63
Double room shower $127.03

3) Positive comments on Fodor's rants/raves:
http://www.hotels-of-paris.com/scrip...fo.php?num=470
HOTEL ORSAY (3 stars)
93 rue de Lille - 75007 Paris Metro: Assemblee Nationale, Solferino
Tél. : 33 1 47 05 85 54 / Fax : 33 1 45 55 51 16
Email : [email protected]
Double room 132E

happy2travel May 23rd, 2003 06:39 AM

Thanks so much to everyone who has tried to save the day!

St. Cirq, thank you for the recommendations. I tried the Duquesne-Eiffel, and they do not have availability for all 3 days. The hotel looks beautiful, though. I can't find any info on l'Hotel de France. Would you have the phone number?

Mclaurie, thank you for your concern. Verneuil looks lovely. The website said that they did not have availability for one of the days, but I will try calling directly.

Grandmere, I am going to try Hotel du Lys, next. I just wanted to take a break from my search and post so everyone knows that I am reading your posts and appreciate them very much!

I have also called Hotel Champs de Mar, Hotel du Grand Ecoles, and Jeanne d'Arc. I called these because I recognized the names and remembered positive feedback about them. Unfortunately, none of them has availability for all 3 days. It seems like the last night will be the most difficult. That might be when the tradeshow that Glassman mentioned is beginning. I am trying for the 15, 16, and 17th.

elaine May 23rd, 2003 07:04 AM

Hi
You could try these too
Derby Eiffel
www.DerbyEiffelHotel.com

Hotel Muguet

Hotel de l'Odeon
Hotel is at 13 rue Saint-Sulpice, (not same hotel as the Odeon Hotel)

Hotel du Quai Voltaire

Relais Bosquet

Hotel St-Germain (88 rue de Bac)

Hotel le Tourville

Hotel le Valadon

all have been praised here in the past

itswoody May 23rd, 2003 07:11 AM

Why don't you try using a site such as paris hotels.com instead of contacting individual hotels. It would be more efficient since you can see all of the hotels that have availability.

adrienne May 23rd, 2003 07:19 AM

Hi happy2travel,

Sorry to hear about your hotel glitch. I'd second the Hotel Muguet. I stayed there once and liked it a lot. Very convenient location. It's a 2 star with air conditioning. Updated, clean rooms and friendly staff. Plenty of restaurants in the area for evening dining.

The reason I haven't been back there is that I like to try different hotels and different areas.

adrienne

glassman May 23rd, 2003 07:22 AM

ALSO TRY VENERE.COM EASY TO USE WEBSITE WITH UP TO DATE AVAILABILITY

Sue_xx_yy May 23rd, 2003 07:32 AM

As an alternative, try getting a hold of accorhotels.com, accor being the parent holding company of Mercure. Maybe you can swing a deal with your package seller to be accomodated in a different Mercure, or perhaps a Libertel, that is better located.

happy2travel May 23rd, 2003 07:54 AM

Here's an update:

I contacted the Hotel Muget and they are full. I was very disappointed about that becausr this hotel would have been perfect. it looks very nice, is in a great location, and is just the right price. Oh well.

I contacted Hotel Varenne but, again, only availability for 2 days. Same thing with Hotel Verneuil. The reservationis there was VERY nice, though. She suggested that I e-mail them with the dates and they will e-mail back if they have a cancellation.

The really crazy thing is that all of these hotels is available for 2 of the three days -and in all combinations.

The best news I have is that the Hotel Orsay is available for the 3 nightd if I am willing to change rooms for the last night. At this point I guess I should be excited about it but the price is on the higher end-142 Euros/night, which translates into approx. $165. And it is also a bit east of where I was hoping to be.

Normally $165/night wouldn't bother me at all but, in this situation, it is an added expense that I did not expect.

Elaine, thanks for the list. I will try a few more now.

BTW, the reason I haven't been utilizing reservation sites is that their availability is not up to date. This happened with a few hotels today. The website would say that there is availability and the hotel says no, and vice versa.

Also, has anyone hearf of Hotel Lyndbergh Saint Germain? I found it on the web. It might not have a great amount of charm but it is in a decent location at a decent price.

I'll check back soon.

harvey May 23rd, 2003 08:02 AM

Two hotels I like are the Castex near the Bastille area which is ac and recently redone but probably booked. I also love the Hotel de l'Esperance email [email protected] 01 47 07 47 07. Is is located in a great neighborhood. Has elevator but i don't think ac. Enjoy Paris!

minimn May 23rd, 2003 08:09 AM

Dear happy2travel, The Hotel de France that St Cirq recommends is a wonderful 2 star in a location that you'll like. See it at www.parishotels.com (listed as Hotel de France Invalides) or call them 01 47 05 40 49. Fax number is 01 45 56 96 78. Ask for a room with a view of Les Invalides...hope you luck out!!!

StCirq May 23rd, 2003 08:15 AM

Happy: The phone number is 011-33-1-47-05-40-49. Fax is 011-33-1-45-56-96-78.