Please help with Paris airline tickets and tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I posted this message under an earlier thread, but I only got two responses (thank you for your help, Ackislander and Dukey!) I need to educate myself and make some decisions quickly about airline tickets to Paris.
I've studied many itineraries and have a few basic questions:
1. Are there any airlines doing international flights that have the best service? From where I live in Ohio, I can only fly United, American, Delta, Air France and Continental. The only airline I am trying to avoid is US Air thru Philadelphia, but I'm open to all others.
2. What is a good amount of time for the layover on the return trip? I don't want to have to rush and try to get through customs, so what's acceptable?
3. There are no direct flights from Columbus,OH, so I have choices to connect through these cities -- Atlanta, Cincinnati, Newark, Boston, Washington, Chicago and New York-- any recommendations?
4. Which type of plane/aircraft do I want to seek out or avoid?
Thank you so much for your input!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Emily,

We went to Paris from C'bus last Sept. Went through Philly on USAir. No problems on each direction. IIRC, there was about 2.5 hr in the return layover in Philly. No pressure in getting through customs time-wise.

Good luck.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Emily,

I live in Asheville, NC, so I eithr shuttle to ATL or CVG (cinn). I really like the CVG airport.
My airline from here is Delta and all their codeshare partners. They have cut so many flights that going from here to CVG does not give the connection time that I like to have, so I am pretty much ATL to CDG.

RE Connection times..because the shuttle can be so unreliable, I always have a spare in between, so have a longer wiat in ATL. I prefer to arrive where I am connecting to my international flight with plenty of time. Keep in mind that boarding begins about an hour ahead of takeoff. I always make my connecting flight from ATL to AVL upon return with plenty of time, as I know how very slow everything is in ATL..takes forever...

Hope this has helped a bit..

Joan
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM

I like to have a minimum of two hours layover time on all trips. Occasionally I'll accept a little less, depending on the airport involved. I personally don't have any planes that I try to avoid.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
ira

Hi EL,

With the exception of how much time to leave between legs, I think that you are over analyzing this.

Cattle Class is Cattle Class. However, given a choice I would choose AF. Be sure that you are actually flying AF and not Delta. OTOH, you can often get a Delta flight "operated by AF" for less.

Newark and NY are probably the airports that I like the least. This is not to say that the others are good.

As noted, you want at least a 90 min layover. 2hr is about the best.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM

My worst ever experience coming from Europe was through Dulles on United. Maybe a bad day, or maybe a really crap airline or airport. In any case, I avoid them both now.

We fly US Airways through PHL to Europe quite often. I don't think it is any worse than any other choice, and in some respects, better. The very pleasant concourse at PHL makes a difference, and things seem to go smoothly enough through customs, baggage and immigration. Just don't plan tight connections. Oh, US Airways often has good prices to Paris.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Go to seatguru.com and compare the types of planes, seat width, amenities, etc. on the various airlines. If you're flying coach, the level of suck will be about the same.

Connect through Cincy -- it's the least trafficked airport of the ones you presented and that should minimize delays, transfer problems, etc.

Dulles is a dump. Atlanta is a major diversion from where you are, especially on the longer and less pleasant flight home. Remember, you will start your flight home from CDG, CDG is a hellhole, so your day will suck before you enter the plane.

JFK and EWR are two points in the most heavily trafficked airspace in the country and a transfer at JFK will be long and unpleasant. The only benefit for JFK is that it is the busiest international airport in the US so if your scheduled plane has a problem, you can make alternate arrangements easily (this is rare and happened to us once and only when we took an airline with fewer flights to and from the US than the Paris route).

I don't know what's wrong with USScare through philly -- I've generally heard good things about it after I had a similar inquiry.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
yk

This may or may not help you, but this is what goes through MY mind when I face with similar dilemma:

1) Are you "Loyal" to any airline FF program? If you tend to fly ABC airline, you may want to stick with ABC airline (or one of their partner airlines) for the miles.

2) Which itinerary has the best price?

3) Which itinerary/connection has the best flight times - meaning: shortest (but not impossible) layover, best departure and arrival times etc.

For me, I try to avoid long layovers (anything more than 3 hours). I also try to avoid early departure or late arrival.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I'd take Philadelphia over JFK any day. But I might even elect JFK -- for a great price on a nice new Airbus with a very convenient schedule.
Don't overthink this -- coach class is pretty much uncomfortable no matter what. Every airline/airport has its good and bad days; all will get you to Paris and back.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM

We fly to Europe from Boston - bags always come out quickly, efficiency at Customs (they seem to staff adequately for incoming flights).

Have you tried www.1800flyeurope.com for fares? I've had very, very good luck with them.

I love Air France, and will never fly AA again (if I can help it). Since AA removed the extra room between rows, and their seat bottoms are dreadfully uncomfortable...

If you book Delta flights, you will be on Air France over the ocean.

I would also avoid connecting in Newark or JFK.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Fodorites!
Your comments are very helpful. It's great to get advice from seasoned travelers. I've been out of the loop in the international travel scene for quite some time, so I appreciate your patience with me. I'll keep you posted! Best, Emily
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:26 AM

Emily - With the choices you've got I pretty much agree with the above comments. I'd concentrate on cost and schedules.

Our daughter has several friends who fly out of Columbus (CMH) to Europe on Continental connecting in Newark (EWR) and they think it's fine. EWR isn't one of our favorite airports, but if the cost and schedule is best, I wouldn't eliminate it just because it's EWR.

The only airplane we avoid is the B757. It's a narrow body plane - single aisle with 3 seats on each side. Can feel very cramped on a long flight, but that's a personal issue.

Agree that 2-2.5 hr layover should be fine. Might want to allow a little more time on return since you'll have to go through customs.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi, again.
Has anyone booked tickets using itasoftware.com? I found an itinerary I liked, and wanted to buy two tickets. However, when I tried to book them, the site said to print out the itinerary and take it to a travel agent.
Since I'm a member of AAA, I can go see one of their agents, but I wondered if those agents can get the fares listed on itasoftware.com.
I did try going to the airline's web site to buy tickets directly, but the prices were much higher for the same itinerary. Just wondering if anyone has used this service and how you booked the ticket. Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
yk

itasoftware does not sell tickets, AFAIK. It is refering you to use a travel agent probably because:

- the itinerary it found is sold in a deeply-discounted fare class that is only bookable by travel agents (or ticket consolidators) but not via the airline's online website.

Beware that very often these consolidator deeply-discounted fares are NOT eligible for earning miles. So, you need to double check it with the travel agent. If that's the case (no miles earned), you have to see if that's worth giving up 8000+ miles you would have earned on this trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM

I like AirFrance in coach MUCH better than AA in coach for over the pond... We were pleasantly surprised flying to Paris from LAX over Christmas - personal seat back screens, movies, a lot of food served. Over all not *horrible.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM

The best flight is the cheapest one. There isn't a spoonful of difference in airlines. Philadelphia isn't terrible. I think Atlanta is pretty dismal, but if the fare is fair, then I go there also.
The airlines usually make a pretty good connection time. But ifyou miss it, just make sure it isn't the last of the day so you'll have to spend the night.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM

DJKbooks - what did you mean about booking Delta but being on AF over the water? Not out of Atlanta - Delta operates I think 3 flights a day ATL to CDG on Delta planes, but may codeshare 2 more flights on AF equipment. I like the seating on Delta better - 2 seats, then then the aisle - but there are no individual entertainment units. The last meal I had on Delta was dismal - I think I will just drink and sleep next time. On AF you get two (little) bottles of free wine (only one on Delta). The food is better on AF (as a rule) but the seating is the 3 seats, then the aisle. These observations apply on the flights from Atl to CDG - oh and usually Delta is cheaper.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM

Emily (and yk) - itasoftware is a search but not a sales site. They do not sell any tickets at all, but let you search across multiple airlines. If you find an itinerary you like, on the final page click on "show booking details" to get all the info about fare classes, print it out and call the airline or your travel agent. Tell the agent exactly what you want, using the flights and fare codes listed in the Booking Details section. Do not delay making the booking as the fare classes displayed on your ita search can sell out in the meantime. You may also be able to book online if all flights are on a single carrier or carriers in an alliance.

BTW I am a Continental loyalist and fly to Europe through Newark all the time without problem.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We flew last summer from Richmond VA to Cleveland OH and flew non stop to Paris on Continental with no problems. Cleveland is small and easy to manuever. Not sure how far columbus and cleveland are because I am not looking at a map, but maybe it is driveable or a short flight between? I liked going through cleveland vs the ny airports.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

I finally booked my ticket and want to thank everyone for your input. We will be traveling to Paris Oct.3-10 on US Air through Philadelphia. The price and itinerary were right, and after several people here told me they'd had good experiences with that flight, I decided to go with it.
Interestingly, I was going to book a different flight, a United flight, today with an itinerary I had found through www.itasoftware.com. I went to AAA to see a travel agent, and she'd never heard of this service. She had no idea how to book the codes nor did her supervisor. Instead, they quoted me a rate on United through their consolidator, and it was much higher. So I came home and decided to go with the US Air ticket since it was a good price ($756 per ticket)and I was able to book it myself on US Air for the same price shown by itasoftware.com. So I'm finally done! Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -