Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help with packing for Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-with-packing-for-provence-1013615/)

topeater May 6th, 2014 05:11 PM

Please help with packing for Provence

My husband and I are making our first trip to Provence in late June. I am so tired of trying to figure out what type of clothes to take. We live in hot, hot summer Texas. I've read the high in Provence is around 80F which is pretty cool for us. But, then I read trip reports where people talk about it being really hot.

In Texas with 80 degrees, I might wear light pants, but in my mind, I'm thinking in Provence I need a sundress or skirt or something really cool. I want to just take a carry on although we will be in Paris for 5 days and Provence for 9 days. Please help me pack efficiently!

My husband has his stuff all figured out. A pair of tasteful shorts, 3 pairs of really light pants, a few dressy T-shirts, 2 button shirts, light sport coat & this really cute raincoat. I can't stand it!!!

Any hints or advice?

Robert2533 May 6th, 2014 05:27 PM

Both Paris and Provence tend to be more on the casual side, unless you're going to a private club event and need to dress up. Shorts are fine in most places in Provence, but not so much in Paris.

Some restaurants may frown on the fact that a man is wearing shorts, which are fine at the beach or in the mountains, but generally wearing casual attire is perfectly fine, even at most 3-star Michelin restaurants.

adrienne May 6th, 2014 05:28 PM

Comfort with temperature depends on what you're used to. For me, 80 degrees would be very hot.

You can wear the same clothing in Paris and in Provence. I would bring a combination of items - sundress, skirt, and a pair of slacks. The days will be warm but the nights could get cool. Also bring a sweater or light jacket and a pashmina. If you think 80 degrees is cool then dress accordingly.

Since Provence will be dry the nights will seem cool to you. If you're used to a humid climate the nights feel hotter but that's not true in a dry climate.

You know your own body and its ability to handle temperature. Don't listen to others; wear what is comfortable for you. Bring layers such as a tank top to wear under a shirt and sweater. Definitely socks. If it's too cool for you, you can dress in the tank top, shirt, sweater, and pashmina and be comfortable.

greg May 6th, 2014 06:22 PM

Look at the weather forecast just before you leave, and put in uncertainly factor just as if you in the U.S and adjust your wardrobe if your concern is the temperature/humidity angle. To this end, layering would be the most versatile strategy. If your angle is "dress code", I have seen less instances of mandatory dress codes as I have seen in the U.S., Canada, or on cruise boats. While I have not yet seen shorts and t-shirts combo at Michelin restaurants, for men, I have seen a range of clothes from jeans and t-shirts to suits with ties in the same dining room at the same time both in Paris and in country sides. Women are always dressed better than men. But I presume, you already know that. Over time, my wife and I have changed our wardrobe to the ones offering wider temperature/humidity comfort range, fast drying, and wrinkle resistances.

Robert2533 May 6th, 2014 06:48 PM

Humidity levels tend to be low in Provence, except just before an approaching storm, so the temperature shouldn't bother you as much as it would, say, in Houston. Paris in June can be a lot warmer than along the Mediterranean coast.

topeater May 6th, 2014 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone. You are right, I'm used to higher humidity. I've only been to Paris in colder months & it's easy…I just pack black everything. For some reason, I think I need to pack some color. Black is just so much easier!

My husband would never wear shorts to a nice restaurant, but would on a hike!

We were just in California which started out cold and rainy and by the last 3 days of our trip, they had a heatwave. We were not prepared for that! I understand the concept of packing layers, it's just that I have to buy layers since in Texas it's either not very cold or very hot. Not a lot of need for layers in the summer, if it's 100 during the day, it's still 90 at 2am.

Robert2533 May 6th, 2014 10:15 PM

That's cool when compared to Sevilla during the summer.

adrienne May 7th, 2014 01:03 AM

<< it's just that I have to buy layers >>

You don't own any of the items I've mentioned? I don't understand what you'd have to buy. You don't own even one light sweater or jacket? You don't own a pair of socks? What do you wear when it rains in Texas? What did you wear in California when it was cold and rainy?

topeater May 7th, 2014 04:20 PM

Most of my layering is for winter cool weather, not for cool summer weather, hence dark colors and probably heavier than I would need. I took a cashmere cardigan to California & that worked fine. I think it would be too heavy for Provence.

I do have a couple of pashmina that could probably work.

Thanks for the info.

crckwc1 May 7th, 2014 07:41 PM

I'm no fashion guru, but I say if you like to pack black, then do so - black light weight slacks, black skirt, black jeans, and tops of any color you choose including black and white. Shoes might be ballet flats, cute sandals and definitely something more substantial for all-day walking, and socks to help prevent blisters. I would add a black cardigan sweater (or a color that goes with everything you're taking), a waterproof rain jacket, some scarves and costume jewelry, and be done. Chico's has some travel clothes you might like. Also check Stein Mart and other lower cost stores for non-wrinkle, packable options.

crckwc1 May 7th, 2014 07:43 PM

p.s. - I, too, live in Texas and understand the heat/humidity problem, but black is still the basis of my wardrobe both here and when I travel to Europe.

basingstoke2 May 7th, 2014 08:02 PM

Dressy T shirts??

StCirq May 7th, 2014 08:11 PM

I don't get the whole black concept, but if that's what easy for you, go for it. No matter what the season, I always go for color no matter where I'm traveling, and at home too. Light layers are great for Provence, as it's dry and hot (for me). I take lightweight cotton/linen skirts and sundresses and colorful cotton tops (a couple with long sleeves and a couple with short sleeves and maybe one or two sleeveless) and capris and a lightweight rain jacket and a cardigan. That's just about all I need. Never, in dozens of trips there, needed anything I didn't already pack, and it all fits in a 21" rollaboard.

kerouac May 7th, 2014 09:21 PM

Most people would not wear black in Provence.

If in doubt, just underpack because most people will find clothing items of interest on market days or displayed in the shops in town.

topeater May 8th, 2014 08:29 AM

Thanks everybody. I'll let you know what worked & didn't work for the next problem packer.

Christina May 8th, 2014 10:10 AM

I've been in Provence in early July and it sure was much hotter than 80 in the day time. I'm sure it isn't always, but it definitely can be.

I would think you should certainly take at least one skirt, I always do in the summer as they are cooler than pants. I take a couple. I don't wear lightweight pants that much in summer, I take a couple skirts and a couple pair of capris, maybe one pair of lightweight pants.

You must have some lighweight sweaters, I cannot believe you don't own one. Even in hot climates, you have to have some lightweight sweaters due to the overly air conditioned theaters and restaurants. Well, if you really don't, buy some.

Don't take pashminas, these are shawls and you aren't going to be wearing those with casual clothes. I don't think anyone younger would wear that, anyway. I don't see anyone wearing a pashmina around where I live, except some older women in the theater. YOu aren't going to walk around with a shawl on, I hope.

I did buy a sundress once when in Provence as it was even hotter than I thought, but it was knee-length, think cotton, just something I picked up at H&M cheap. Generally, sundresses aren't as versatile as separates.

YOu can buy nice thin cardigans at Target for about $15, I have at least 6 in different colors. Get one with a crew neck, not the boyfriend style, as it can double as a top alone when buttoned up. They are cotton and lycra, I think. YOu can just roll one up and carry it in a tote bag. HEre is what I'm talking about
http://www.target.com/p/merona-women...erona+cardigan

I wouldn't take any shoe like a ballet flat, I find sandals get me anywhere, and in summer, I want to wear sandals. OF course, if you love yours, go ahead. I do take a couple pair, of course, one dressier and one heavier-duty walking sandal. Sometimes I take a pair of leather slides for the dressier pair, if you know what that is. Not as many straps as sandals.

suze May 8th, 2014 10:30 AM

Just follow your husband's lead. Take the female version of his wardrobe.

I don't wear skirts or dresses myself so I wouldn't go that route, but if that's your usual style... go for it.

If you want to post your packing list, we can comment more specifically with suggestions or changes.