Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Rome in 7 days Itinerary ideas Requested?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me: Solo Female Traveler, loves Food, Fresco's, Architecture, Local and or somewhat non-touristy atmosphere. 1st visit to Rome or Venice. Definitely want to see the
"tourist Hot-spots" as it is history, But would also enjoy to get the feel of the "real" Italian culture and people. I walk everywhere or use local transportation where necessary. Travel on the cheap so that I can return another day. No fancy restaurants. Cafe's are just great as are nibbling on some local olives with bread etc. Not a drinker...
I Know I know But I do love to cook with a great vino. Looking for inexpensive/say hostel type prices for accommodations so I may spend my money exploring. Just need a safe and clean place to sleep. I Will be arriving in the am from an overnight US flight(I work nights so no worries I sleep on the flight and will be ready to go as soon as I get off the plane) I can arrive in Rome or Venice and depart from the opposite. What should I do?
Areas of interest: Rome/Tuscany/Venice/Verona/? 7days on the ground not counting departure day. PLEASE SUGGEST AWAY
P.S. I ;( don't speak Italian but speak German, French, English, and some Spanish...
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM

Bologna, smack midway between Venice and Rome and not far from Florence is one of Europe's oldest-looking towns and a renown culinary center - its Centro Storico is said to have more medieval buildings than any city in Italy!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Consider staying at convents.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Original Poster

P.S. I will be arriving Mid-March. Thank you for any advice/ suggestions you may have.
Laurel
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For Venice:
http://www.ostellosantafosca.it/oste...Home_Page.html

With so few days, I don't think you really have time for anything except Venice and Rome.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't Fresco's the name of a Mexican restaurant chain in the Houston Area?

Really, darling, do give us a clue about your budget.

What do you want to pay for a hotel room in Venice? In Rome?

In high season, you are looking at about 90E (per night) for a single in Rome at a budget hotel. About 110E for a single in Venice in one of the cheapest of hotels.

7 days really isn't very much time to see BOTH Venice and Rome and another city.

You could spend two weeks in Rome and still not see everything.

You also don't tell us how you are getting from Venice to Rome.

Are you flying? Taking the train? Are you walking? Riding your bicycle?

Give Mummy some clues and she will give you some help.

Tschuss,
Pepper
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, Jean:
Bologna sounds great as do the options for convents.
kybourbon:
The place in Venice sounds perfect! Maybe they have places like that in Rome/Florence/Bologna as well.
Any recommendations on where my base should be? 3 days Venice 3 days Rome? and just day trip from there or ?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Pepper: very funny although I have never been to Houston I can't really say I do LOVE a good Mexican restaurant i shall have to Pop in sometime.
I thought I posted but; I'm looking for Hostel type accommodation pricing. I do know that ideally 7 days is not enough, however I plan to fly into VCE and out of FCO or the reverse whichever offers the best itinerary. I do plan on returning another time. This is a mere sample of the regions so I may return and explore those areas that have picked my interest at length. I do plan on utilizing the public transportation system, i.e. buses, trains etc.. Oh and Dear Lord help us all if i'm on a bicycle for any length of time. A leisurely ride through Provence consists of 45 minutes at best before the booty is too tired of sitting
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, dear, but WHAT is hostel-type pricing?????

What do vous want to spend per night.

Those of us who have been posting here 10+ years get annoyed if we aren't given a budget.

Really, many of the best Fodorite posters will not answer your query if you don't give a budget.

Tschuss,
Pepper
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have 7 hotel nights? If so,you don't have time for day trips. You will barely have time to see Rome and Venice.

This place in Rome is women only and I think has a midnight curfew. Price are cheap, but you can find convents cheaper (also with curfews).
http://www.foresteriaorsa.altervista...esteria_uk.htm

If you are interested in hostels, check out the Thorntree forum on the Lonely Planet website. That is a younger hostel oriented forum.