Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with itinerary decisions for Amalfi Coast and Tuscany or Umbria.

Feb 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

It's been a few years since posting here and I'm so happy to once again be posting as that means another trip!!

My husband and I are planning to return to Italy in September or October with approximately 12 days for travel. This time around we would like to visit the Amalfi Coast, Capri, and Tuscany or Umbria. What are your recommendations for an itinerary in these areas. How many days would you spend in each area?

We spent 5 days in Tuscany on a previous trip and this has been our favorite place we have traveled to so far. The feel of Tuscany and our experiences there are the reasons we are returning to Italy again. I am torn about returning to Tuscany or going to Umbria. If Umbria could match the scenery and small town experiences we would opt for Umbria. What would you do?

Can anyone offer suggestions about logistics? Should we fly in and out of Rome? We've been to Rome before, but we wouldn't mind squeezing in a day or two on this trip if possible. We know we definitely want to rent a car for Tuscany or Umbria. Where should we pick up and drop off? Should we train or bus from place to place?

Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated!

In case anyone is wondering, we've been to Rome, Florence and Venice already.
Feb 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM

mda -

IMHO, I'd opt for Umbria, Rome, and Positano/Capri. Why you ask? That's what we did in 2005 and had a wonderful time. I can't compare Umbrian scenery and towns to those in Tuscany because I have yet to "do" Tuscany. On the other hand, our experience in Umbria was fantastic. We (i.e., me, DW, and 3 other couples) rented a villa outside Orvieto and with rental cars made wonderful day trips to Orvieto, Perugia, Assisi, and then some really small towns. The scenery was spectacular, and the people were warm and fun.

We ended our trip in Rome, but next time around I'd drop off the car in Orvieto (rented at FCO) and take the train to Rome for a few days, and then on down to Amalfi Coast and Capri. We stayed a couple of nights in Positano (La Tartana) and a couple of nights on Capri (La Minerva) and it was wonderful. We arranged a private driver for a day of Pompeii and the rest of the Amalfi Coast and did not have our own car. I'm not sure when Capri (or Positano for that matter) start "shutting down" for the winter (we were there in late September) but I'd think October would be fine.

We ended our trip in Rome, but this time I'd open-jaw (into FCO, out of Naples) to avoid backtracking. Have a great time.

Our trip report on Fodors is at:

http://tinyurl.com/39qbde

Sam
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Wow Sam, great trip report. I just spent the last hour and a half reading almost your whole trip report. I skipped the Paris section for now, although I do want to read it as we were there in 2004. Your report is full of helpful information. I tried to access your pictures, but they are no longer available on the original link. Do you have them posted elsewhere?

I haven't done enough research yet to know where we want to stay in the South, ie. Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi coast, Capri. How did you decide on Positano and Capri?
Feb 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM

My suggested itinerary:

Fly into Naples, take public transport to Amalfi Coast.

Amalfi Coast: Positano, Amalfi, Ravello; Day trip to Capri and/or Pompei.

Umbria: (I feel it is worth a visit) It is beautiful in its own way. It is definately smaller than Tuscany region.

Tuscany: why not visit a few of your favorite towns again

Fly out of Florence if you are going to be in the Tuscany region.
Feb 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I just did the Amalfi Coast and Rome last June. I have been to Rome, Florence and Cinque Terre before.

I did the following last June:

Fly into Naples, we had a drive to Amalfi Coast.

Amalfi Coast: Positano (ok to visit-I would not stay), Amalfi, Ravello (we stayed in an Apartment in Ravellow--I LOVED RAVELLO); Day trip to Capri and/or Pompei (on the way from the airport).

We actually used this company and tweaked the itinerary with them for our Italy trip. We stayed in apartments in Rome and Ravello-Loved the Ravello one.

http://travelplansintl.com/vacation_packages.html
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:02 AM
ira

Hi M,

My suggestion:

Fly into Naples.

Take www.curreriviaggi.it/ to Sorrento. Take SITA bus to Positano or Praiano.

2 nights on AC.
leave luggage at hotel,
Overnight on Capri
2 nights on AC
SITA bus to Sorrento
Pickup car - drive to Umbria - 5 nights
Drop car in Orvieto. Train to Rome
2 nights in Rome
Fly home.

Enjoy our visit.

Feb 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM
ira

PS,

You could take the ferry to Salerno and pick up your car there, as well.
Feb 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM

M,

My last trip was almost 3 weeks to the same areas. I have never been able to pull up the old trip report, although others have! It's called "Just Back - Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy", Sept 05.

3 nts Praiano
Le Sirene***, lovely in every way

2 nts Capri
1 nt Naples, Hotel Pinto Storey***, very nice

5 nts Rome - Hotel Giardino Rome**, highly recommend for good value, location and excellent owner, Katie

3 nts Montalcino - Il Giglio***, very nice, great value, views, wine!

1 nt Gubbio - Palazzo Ducale****, no sleep, church bells all night!

1 nt Assisi - unplanned, after checking out early from Gubbio

2 nts Spello - Palazzo Bocci****, paradise, highly, highly recommend

Loved Umbria as much as Tuscany.

Buon viaggio!
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Elisaegs - Why wouldn't you stay in Positano? I was leaning towards staying there based upon what I have been reading on this forum.

Anyone else have an opinion on where to base ourselves? We've already been to Pompeii, so we'll be focusing on the coast.
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM

I say DO stay in Positano. It is beautiful there. Try the Villa Rosa.
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM

I say DO stay in Positano as well. I second the recommendation for Villa Rosa, and if that's booked, try Villa La Tartana. Get a room with a view.

My second choice after Positano would be Amalfi. Ravello is gorgeous also, but I prefer Positano because it's easier to get to other places. It takes a long time to get down the hill from Ravello to go anywhere else.
Feb 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Another vote for Positano and for La Tartana. Ravello is very pretty, but it's at the very top of the mountain overlooking the bay and accessibility to other features of the Amalfi Coast would be diminished. I'd certainly spend some time in Ravello - an afternoon, possibly an evening if you can arrange the local transport (cab?), but I wouldn't stay there.

Sam
Feb 16th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Another vote for Positano. We stayed there at the Bucca di Bacco and love it!

I'd love to start in Positano and continue to Umbria then to Tuscany before departing for home.

Our favs in those areas were Orvieto, Montepulciano, Siena and Lucca!

Enjoy!
Feb 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Re: Tuscany vs. Umbria, they are very similar. Umbria is a little quieter, a little more rural. Interesting small towns are Assisi, Orvieto, Spello, Spoleto, Todi, Bevagna, Gubbio, and some I've no doubt forgotten. I like the scenery in Tuscany a little better. You could station yourself on the border of Tuscany and Umbria and, with a car, dip into both.
Feb 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I suggest you spend at least one night in Capri, it's a different island after all the day trippers leave. We've stayed there twice, my favorite hotel was Luna.
If you need an English speaking driver, we always use Carmine Foggia. He is based in Naples, is an expert on the Amalfi coast and Capri, speaks perfect English and is an excellent driver. His email is [email protected]
I highly recommend him.
Feb 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Steve,

You are simply amazing, as always! Thank you! So why is it others can pull up my old report, but I can't? How did you get it?

Mille Grazie
Feb 17th, 2008, 02:29 AM

Hi Dayle - I just put it in Google as -

Just Back - Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy

For some reason it came up with it under EmBee's posts - not yours

Scroll down to No 19

Steve
Feb 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM

Sorry - that should be:

Fodors Just Back - Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy
Feb 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks again Steve. I tried Goggle, but I didn't look into EmBe's!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO