Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help with itinerary - 8 days north of Shannon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-with-itinerary-8-days-north-of-shannon-625875/)

LeeP Jun 23rd, 2006 11:16 AM

Please help with itinerary - 8 days north of Shannon

My husband and I are planning our second trip to Ireland in September. We will spend the first 8 days north of Shannon, then return to Shannon airport to pick up another couple. The second half of the trip will be spent in the south including Dingle, Kenmare, Kinsale, and Kilkenny.
I need help deciding where to go during the first 8 days. Some areas we missed on our first trip and would like to include are Galway and the Connemara(Kylemore Abbey), Derry, and the Glens of Antrim (Waterfalls). I posted this question earlier in more detail, but it ended up on the Europe forum rather than Ireland - so I am posting it again in the Ireland forum.
We would appreciate suggestions on the best places to go and places to stay. Would Enniskillen be a good choice for a couple of days? We like scenery and history, small inns and guesthouses, pubs and especially the Irish people!
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Lee

tallboy Jun 23rd, 2006 11:25 AM

Try the towns of Clifden and Westport, and if you you have enough time, Donegal.

Dohlice Jun 23rd, 2006 11:30 AM

Donegal is a wonderful town and the surrounding area is rural even by Ireland’s standards. If you have the chance it would be worth your while. I stopped in Belleek and got some great things, too. I might be a little biased because my Dad was from there! Have you been to Wicklow?

Padhraicin Jun 24th, 2006 05:01 AM

i replied to this already but it does not appear - just testing

Padhraicin Jun 24th, 2006 05:08 AM

Here goes again -
I suggest Clifden (Connemara) for exploring Connemara,Kylemore and south Mayo / Westport etc.
Good pub in this area - O'Dowds, Roundstone - food seafood and Guinness.
Sligo as a base for touring north west - Yeats country, south Donegal, Co. Leitrim. Enniskillen might be a good option as base for visiting Derry and Antrim.
A long trip over to Glens of Antrim but if you go there stay in village of Cushendall - good pub Johnny Joes - lots of B & Bs.

historytraveler Jun 24th, 2006 09:03 AM

LeeP,
It doesn't matter whether you post on the Europe Forum or Ireland it ends up on both.

Padhraicin has made some good suggestions.

cambe Jun 24th, 2006 10:45 AM

Hi LeeP,

Is it possible for you to fly open jaw - into either Belfast or Dublin and out of Shannon? If you could you could then travel up the east coast to the Glen of Antrim and then back to Shannon through Donegal and Connemara.

If that is not possible I would suggest

2 nights Cliften or Westport - for Connemara

2 nights Killybegs in Co Donegal or Donegal town - pubs with lots of entertainment.

2 nights Bushmills, Portbalintrae or Balintoy (Don't forget the Giants Causeway when you are in Co Antrim)

1 night Eniskillen - the lakes and scenary in this area are lovely and you could stop at the Ulster American Folk Park on the way.

1 night Galway

Helen