Please help with hotel recomendations for Athens, Naxos, and Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with hotel recomendations for Athens, Naxos, and Santorini

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.

I will be honeymooning in Greece next May, and I just received the itinerary from the travel agent. She has recommended several hotels for each destination, and I need some help deciding.

In Athens, we want a nice hotel that is centrally located to the historical sights.

In Naxos, we simply want to relax and soak in the sun and un-wind. We would like a quiet, private hotel on or near the beach.

In Santorini, we want to really be pampered. We want a really nice hotel with an amazing view of the caldera that is within walking distance to one of the main towns. I'd also like a nice pool (preferably one of those awesome infinity pools, I just love them!).

Here are the recomendations that we have been given. Please weigh in, or if you have other recomendations, I would LOVE to hear them. Thanks!

Athens:
1) GRANDE BRETAGNE, 5* (central located - Syntagma Square)

http://www.grandebretagne.gr

Classic double room, Euro 420 per room, per night (approx $530)

2) GRECOTEL NJV ATHENS PLAZA, 5* (central located - Syntagma Square)

http://www.grecotel.gr/hotels/city

Standard double room, Euro 235 per room, per night (approx $296)

Deluxe room, Euro 320 per room, per night (approx $402)

3) GRECOTEL KING GEORGE, 5* (central located - Syntagma Square)

http://www.grecotel.gr/hotels/city

Superior double room, Euro 360 per room, per night (approx $451)

4) ST GEORGE LYCABETTUS, 5*(Kolonaki, at the foot of Lycabettus Hill)

http://www.sglycabettus.gr

Standard double room, Euro 190 per room, per night (approx $190)

*Exterior double room, Euro 224 per room, per night (approx $283)

*Acropolis, Lycabettus Hill or City view

5) ELECTRA PALACE, 5* (Plaka)

http.//www.electrahotels.gr

Standard double room, Euro 220 per room, per night (approx $277)

Naxos:

1) HOTEL NAXOS BEACH II, 4* (Stelida) ? 4 kms from Naxos Town

http://www.naxosbeach.com

Double room, Euro 70 per room, per night (approx $88)

2) VILLA MIRANDI, 4* (Stelida)

http://www.villa-marandi-naxos.com

Junior Suite, Euro 150 per unit, per night [until May 27th] (approx $187)

Junior Suite, Euro 185 per unit, per night [from May 28th] (approx $232)

Santorini:

1) ASTRA APARTMENTS, 4* (Imerovigli)

http://www.astra.gr

Standard apartment, Euro 235 per unit, per night (approx $296)

Senior Astra Suite, Euro 389 per unit, per night (approx $491)

2) ICONS HOTEL, 4* (Imerovigli)

http://www.santorinicons.gr [site under construction]

Superior Jacuzzi Room, Euro 243 per unit, per night (approx $306)

Deluxe Jacuzzi Room, Euro 295 per unit, per night (approx $372)

*3) PORTO FIRA SUITES, 4* (Fira)

http://www.portofira.gr

Petite Suite, Euro 201 per unit, per night (approx $254)

Grand Suite, Euro 246 per unit, per night (approx $310)

4) ROCABELLA STUDIOS & SUITES, 4* (Imerovigli)

http://www.rocabella-santorini.com

"Figaro" Honeymoon Suite, Euro 240 per unit, per night (approx $303)

I have also heard good things about Chromata and the Katikes Hotel in Santorini, which I would also like feedback on.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with all this information. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Alix

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Wilcoxas:

Oia is the most beautiful, romantic and traditional village on Santorini, a fantastic honeymoon destination. Try this website to see some of the hotels there:

http://www.santorinihotels.com/hotels.php

I recommend Perivolas, Katikies and Esperas.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Hotel Grande Bretagne is superb, try to upgrade to a room with Acropolis view at the very least, these are larger with super views.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestion, thanks!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:40 PM

I'd recommend the Grand Bretagne... you'd be able to see the changing of the guaards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier right across from the hotel, and it's only about 3 minutes' walk to the Plaka. The St. George is more "tucked away". Make sure you take the funicular up Mt. Lycabettus wherever you stay - the view is stunning.

We stayed at the Chromata in September and really liked it - it has an infinity pool. I know many people recommend Oia as a place to stay, and it certainly is stunning, but the restaurants and shops tend to be more expensive than those in Fira. Oia is also a fair way away from the other towns. I'd stay in Imerovigli... it's quieter than Fira, but you can easily walk there in about 15 minutes along the pedestrian path. You could take the bus to Oia to visit a few times. And you can see both Oia and Fira from Imerovigli. Also, Oia is usually very crowded for sunset viewing. A great place to see the sunset in Imerovigli is at the church at the crest of the caldera, just under the Blue Note Cafe. Wonderful view, and far less crowded than Oia.
Your TA has given you great hotel recs from what I can see - the only Santorini one not familiar to me is Rocabella. I'm sure you'd be happy at any of the ones on your list. Just don't expect a North American type of luxury.

You might want to check out my trip report, which covers Athens, Santorini and Mykonos (and London).
Have a wonderful honeymoon.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for you help.

I think we have decided on these hotels, but any feedback would be great...

Athens: Electra Palace

Naxos: Villa Mirandi

Santorini: Astra Apartments
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:33 PM

my husband and I honeymooned in Greece and I think it doesn't matter where you stay, in that level of hotel everything will be marble and clean inside. Outside Athens is stinky and loud but so different than home. Wander the streets, hold hands, enjoy lingering meals and amazing ruins. I never got over that the ruins are just there, everywhere, you can touch them, cats sit on them, children play near them. In America they'd be covered in glass and have alarms. Greece had a way of making me feel so small and such a part of something bigger. If you can get to Ephesus in Turkey you REALLY should. Have fun
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:02 AM

We have stayed at Esperas In Oia. Not as honeymooners but sure felt like it. Very romantic indeed. Most of the other guests there however were honeymooners. A really nice pool with a cave but not infinity. Split level rooms with fantastic caldera views which were extremely comfortable but not luxurious. A great hotel in a beautiful location. In my opinion, Oia is far superior to Fira etc.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Astra is a great choice. Great pool, quiet location, but a quick ride to either Fira or Oia. You can walk to Fira, although it's a bit of a hike and cabs and a reliable buses are quick and cheap. We liked the tavernas just down the path, expecially the Imerovigli Taverna (fantastic ``special'' octopus).

Grande Bretagne is wonderful hotel in excellent location. Unless, it's a budget breaker, go for it.

On Naxos, get a car at least for a day or two and head for the hills. This is a great place to take an afternoon drive. Apiranthos, Apollonas, Filoti and Halki are nice villages for a stroll or a meal.

We've stayed at Lianos Village there, which is a ways out from town (8 euro cab) but near a wonderful beach. Quiet, clean, nice pool, cheap. Can't say enough about the people. They have a heavy German clientele. Lovely gardens. Naxos can be windy.

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 09:09 PM

We just got back from 2 weeks in Greece. In Athens we stayed at the Grande Bretagne which was wonderful. If you are interested, you can see my recent post on this forum

In Santorini we stayed at the Astra apartments & suites in Imerovigli. George, the manager is extremely friendly and helpful. He can take care of anything in a very efficient manner! Near the end of the season, the place was not completely full and we were upgraded to a very nice 2 bdrm. suite. The only problem we encountered at the Astra is that word has gotten out how great it is, and over the 5 days we were there, there were a few very noisy groups of friends (who happened to be Americans like ourselves), and they spoiled the otherwise peaceful ambiance of the place (we could here through our walls). These groups came and went (we encountered several), and in between the place was very tranquille. The Astra was in a great central location for exploring all of Santorini, and it was easy to walk or get a taxi everywhere. We loved Oia/Ia, but were glad to return to quieter Imerovigli after a busy day of activities. One day we walked all the way to Ammoudi (past Oia) for lunch (a spectacular 3 hr. hike I would recommend if you are in decent shape), and the second time we took a taxi. Our last night there was our 15th wedding anniversary, and George recommended dinner at Selene in Fira. He was right on! The ambiance, service and food were outstanding. We ate out on the terrace by candlelight, and it was very romantic. Although it was dark, the moon shone brightly, and there was a cruise ship down on the caldera which looked festive with its twinkling lights. Santorini is one of those places you dream of returning to someday.....
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:23 AM

This October we stayed, for a week, at Villa Marandi in Naxos, on our honeymoon.
The warm welcome made us feel immediately at home.
The Junior Suite we had, with a very romantic matrimonial bed, was lovely, with a beautiful view. The decoration was elegant and relaxing, full of personal touches. It really helped us unwind after all the pressures of planning the wedding etc.
The greatest thing though about Villa Marandi was the amazing service.
George the owner, Julie the manager and all the staff took care of all of our needs.
The breakfast was excellent, a great way to start the day, al fresco, in the warm sunshine, we even had room service a couple of times on our balcony overlooking the sea. The food at their small restaurant was a great experience. We had most of our meals in the Villa as they have an extensive al a carte menu with tasty local and international dishes. One of the specialities is the fish soup which I can still taste.
It is about 3 miles from Naxos Town, so we hired a car, (the cost was minimal), which gave us more freedom to enjoy the island but when we wanted to "party" we took a taxi which is available on a 24 hour basis and is not that expensive (about 7 Euros - one way). The villa is located near to all the nice beaches, and the great thing is that the only noise you here is that of the ocean.
From the small research we made visiting other places we had seen on the Internet in Naxos, it seemed by far the best choice, and we highly recommend it.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM

When you are in love and are on your honeymoon you could stay in a caravan and it will still be magic. Stay anywhere!! stay cheaper and use the money to pamper each other ! let the magic of Greece just be the backdrop to your special time ! Have fun.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Just returned from Greece trip. Caution on Athens Electra Palace. Fodors says rooftop pool & bar - no such thing. They say they are "planning" to install, but no dates & no evidence of it. Just a roof with some cheap plastic chairs. On Santorini you must stay at Katikies - I travel a lot and there is no finer service or accomodation. Enjoy