Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help with Germany itinerary for trip in March (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-with-germany-itinerary-for-trip-in-march-288304/)

Surie Jan 20th, 2008 07:40 AM

Please help with Germany itinerary for trip in March

I am trying to plan a trip with my husband (and maybe college-age son) to Germany. My husband and I have FF tickets to Frankfurt arriving on a Friday, the 14th and leaving from Berlin on Sunday the 23rd.

Our plan is to get right on a train for Heidelberg and spend 2 nights there. Our daughter is living in Berlin and will meet us. She has a good friend there and my husband has a relative that he would like to see.

We want to spend at least the last 4 nights in Berlin, but we could have 2 nights to do something else. Our daughter may be able to take Monday off from work but she will probably have to head back sometime on Monday.

I've been interested in visiting a vineyard but don't know if March is a good time of year. Another thought I had was taking the train to Dresden as I have enjoyed reading about seeing the Green Vault, etc.

Maybe spending a third night in Heidelberg or nearby, then taking a train to Dresden for a night, then to Berlin???

I need some direction-- please!! Thank you!

Cowboy1968 Jan 20th, 2008 08:43 AM

Dresden is an easy day trip from Berlin, but it will also work to squeeze it in between Heidelberg and Berlin, though the train ride from Heidelberg will take much longer. You can check the actual connections and travel times at www.bahn.de

You can visit vineyards in the Heidelberg area, as well as near Dresden, though it's not really the season. But most bigger vineyards are open all year for visits and sampling. Vineyards are usually not fenced, so you will find many hiking paths that take you through the vineyards.
Maybe someone else can give more detailed suggestions which ones to visit, as it may also be worth considering how you will get there by train, or if you will need a car.

Another possible day trip from Berlin could be the Postdam Palaces & Gardens just a bit west of Berlin. I think that they are also open on Mondays, but it may be a good idea to double check any potential destination you want to see on a Monday if they are open.

gregeva1 Jan 20th, 2008 08:59 AM

surie: just an observation but it might impact your trip but the Friday trhe 21st of March is good friday and Sunday is Easter so that might impact your plans...have a great trip.

Surie Jan 20th, 2008 10:51 AM

gregeva1-- yes, I did overlook that! I guess we'll plan to lie low on Good Friday, and maybe go to a church service.

Cowboy-- thank you for your suggestions. We won't have a car so I was thinking maybe we could stay in a pretty town en route to Dresden.

I have a hard time figuring out the logistics and there are so many places I would like to see while we're there!

Any more ideas? also, any hotel recommendations for Heidelberg and Dresden? We like small places with charm and character; preferably a little bit off the tourist radar.
Thanks!

Surie Jan 21st, 2008 04:43 AM

ttt