I'm planning a trip in December 2014 with my wife over France and Switzerland. My wife is a big Paris fan (though I'm not). What I propose is as follows
24/12 - Arrival into Paris (evening arrival)
25/12 - Paris
26/12 - Paris
27/12 - Paris to Strasbourg (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets
28/12 - Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets and general sightseeing in the city
29/12 - Strasbourg to Lucerne (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Lucerne. We propose to thereafter use Lucerne as a base and make day trips.
30/12 - Lucerne
31/12 - Lucerne
1/1 - Lucerne
2/1 - Lucerne
3/1 - Lucerne to Paris (6 hours)
4/1 - Paris
5/1 - Paris
6/1 - Depart Paris (evening departure)
Apart from any suggestions on chopping or changing the itinerary, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:
Q1. Do we have enough time in Strasbourg or is it just too short a trip? I've heard of people doing the Christmas Market as a day trip from Paris so I thought this may be enough.
Q2. Is Lucerne a good choice as a base that time of year? What day trips could we take around Lucerne?
Q3. Would anyone recommend Bern or Interlaken (or any other place) over Lucerne? We're not intending to ski.
Q4. Which is the best panoramic train journey which could fit into our itinerary?
Q5. Considering we're in Switzerland for as little as 4/5 days, does it make sense to buy a train pass (Swiss Saver or Swiss Flexi or Swiss Card) or simply buy point to point tickets?
Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my long post and chose to help. Any and all suggestions would be very much welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 LEXMARK PRINTER 1800:681 :7208 installations CONTACT LEXMARK Techh care
- 2 Malaga Christmas lights
- 3 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 4 Scotland ideas
- 5 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 6 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 7 Three Island Greek Itinerary
- 8 U.K. Website & 1-Way Flight Booking Questions
- 9 Paris November 2017
- 10 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 11 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 12 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 13 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 14 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 15 tinnitus
- 16 Tips for first trip to UK
- 17 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 18 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 19 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 20 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 21 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 22 London vacation rental agency
- 23 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 24 land vs river cruise
- 25 The World's Greatest Churches