Search

Please help with finding a language school in France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with finding a language school in France

Hi,

A friend's daughter returned recently from Paris after spending a semester there in school. She attended classes in art, history and language. As a student at BU all arrangements were made through their offices in Boston.

Needless to say she had a wonderful experience and is now quite fluent in French. I want to do the same thing but I'm over fifty and have a job.

As I am winding down my working life I may have the opportunity to devote a few weeks or a month each year to live in France. At some point in the future maybe even a whole semester.

I'm thinking of a school whose students are business people who need to learn the language because of a transfer however these tend to be pricey. Maybe a school with older American college students who take the experience seriously and don't go out partying every night.

Can anyone help me with my search?

Thank you.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM

mendota, you might want to consider Ecole des Trois Ponts, www.3ponts.edu which seems to be geared toward adults. I am planning to attend one week there next August. It is near Lyon, has been mentioned by others on this forum and seems a good choice for those of us over 50 Deborah
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Eduvacations has some options that may interest you. Copy and paste this link into your browser:

http://www.eduvacations.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I spent two weeks at the Centre Linguistique pour Etrangers (CLE) in Tours several years ago. There were people there from all over the world and all ages,some doing it for careers and staying for several weeks, months, and some doing it "for fun", as I was. Regardless, everyone worked hard and did not party all night, to my knowledge. Class size is limited to 7, and CLE can find homes for those who want to live with a family. I did that, and it was a wonderful experience. I'm sure you can find a website if you Google it.

There is a school in Sancerre that has recently gotten my attention. I think it is www.coeurdefrance.com

Good luck; I'm sure you will find it to be a very rewarding and enriching experience. Nothing like total immersion for learning the language!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Here's the link to Centre Linguistique (CLE) that grandmère mentioned.

http://centrelinguistique.com/accuei...ro&lang=us

I spent 6 weeks there in 2004 at age 44! I left my husband and children behind for 2 months to do an intensive study abroad program when I went back to college to finish my degree in French (25 after I started it!).

CLE is wonderful, and all students are young adults and older. Many that were there when I was there were young professionals, and two in my class were in their 60s.

You will be very comfortable at the school and in Tours as well. I made friends with a German girl near my age who was completing her PhD. We bonded and spent all our free time together and were a support system for one another. We have remained friends, and she flew over from her job in Africa to spend her vacation with me in August. I will go to see her in Germany in June. CLE was an experience for me that changed my life. I can't say enough good things about it.

Bonne chance!

http://centrelinguistique.com/accuei...ro&lang=us
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replys.

It looks like this is going to take some planning.

Over the next 5-6 years I could take my family (2 children, wife and I) for 2-4 weeks at a time. All or some of us could take a course.

In 6 years or so I could go for a longer period of time.

Thank you all again,

==Mike