Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help with choice for very quiet London hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-with-choice-for-very-quiet-london-hotel-679132/)

poss Feb 12th, 2007 09:32 AM

Please help with choice for very quiet London hotel

Our cruise embarks at Dover and we'll probably spend a couple of extra days in London beforehand. We tend to be horrible jet-laggers and bad sleepers anyway. It's vital that accommodations be very comfortable and quiet. I'm hoping that knowledgeable folks can suggest a couple of good hotels in our price range: not more than $300/night (dollars not pounds) Would be good if room is spacious and has good bathroom-- but quiet is highest priority. Thanks! (Our cruise line books rooms at the Savoy, but I've read that the hotel is somewhat shabby for the price.)

crazy4Hawaii Feb 12th, 2007 10:05 AM

A recent Trip Advisor review called Renaissance Chancery Court the "quietest hotel in London". They were probably referring to one of the courtyard-facing rooms. It certainly appears to be a nice one and in a good area. The weekend rate with AAA can be pretty good - just a little over your budget, but the price skyrockets during the week.

Bree Feb 12th, 2007 10:20 AM

The quietest London hotel room I've ever stayed in was a garden-side room at the Montague on the Gardens (www.redcarnationhotels.com). Actually, the street-side rooms at the Montague, where I have also stayed, are relatively quiet, but if you want complete peace and quiet, make sure you get a room on the garden side.

A double room on the garden side would probably cost somewhere between $350 and $400, rather than the $300 you mentioned as your limit, but I doubt if you'll find a quieter hotel room in London for much less.

enzian Feb 12th, 2007 10:31 AM

I would consider our London hotel, the Sanctuary House, very quiet, but ONLY on weekends (where the rate is affordable as well). It is on a side street in the financial district (Westminster) so it's dead on weekends.

The rooms are quite spacious and the bathrooms large by London standards, at least for moderate hotels. Although it sits over a pub, it is not a noisy one; also the rooms are well-insulated sound-wise.

So if you're there over a weekend, this one might owrk, but not if you are there weekdays.

poss Feb 12th, 2007 10:35 AM

Thanks much for responses; will pursue those leads. (The Tripadvisor report was 2004, and a lot can change in a few years. I hope someone will volunterer an update.)
Thanks again!

Birdie Feb 13th, 2007 11:11 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance CC this past summer and loved it. We were in a room facing the courtyard and heard no traffic noise. We were above the arch though, and did hear the cars driving over a grate so we would hear click, click. It didn't bother us but might bother you.