Please Help With Apartment Rental in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several days of pouring over apartment rentals in Paris, we have narrowed it down to the following choices and are looking for input on best location or if there is something we should know about their locations (too noisy, too far from Metro, quality of neighborhood, etc). We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers)and will be in Paris the last week of July for 6 nights. The kids would prefer separate beds, but will be alright on a sofabed also. We arrive at Gare du Nord and will be leaving from CDG. We plan on making a couple of day trips (Versailles & Disneyland). We would like to have breakfast in our apartment, but probably will not do much cooking. We do not worry too much about luxury - as long as it is clean and safe. We will be out of the apartment most of the time anyways seeing the sights and wandering about. Any suggestions as to which of the following would be best for location and quality of apartment.

http://www.vrbo.com/35838
on Rue Mouffetard in 5th (Latin Quarter)

http://www.vrbo.com/161344
St. Germain-Odeon in 6th(2 min. from Seine)

http://www.vrbo.com/183079
In 1st - 100 m. from Louvre nice apartment, but many people say the 1st is not a good place to be?

http://www.vrbo.com/166715
in 3rd on Place des Vosges - has A/C which my husband likes, but is it easy to get to other sights?

http://www.vrbo.com/161541
On Ile St. Louis - good location, but apartment is quite small - is the location as good as everyone says and is there such as thing as "too quiet"?

The first 4 are all about the same price and the last one on Ile St. Louis is about 300 E. less. Anyone have any input as to what the best location would be or which of the apartments would be the best? I think any one of them would be good, but, not knowing anything about the neighborhoods (except what I've read here and on other forums), I'd like some more info.
Thank you.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM

If the air conditioning in this one is good, I would choose it. I think that would be a great location. I admit that I like A/C when it's 80+ and humid (and it could easily be 90+ and humid).

Quote:
http://www.vrbo.com/166715
in 3rd on Place des Vosges - has A/C which my husband likes, but is it easy to get to other sights?
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Another vote for Place des Vosges. One of my favorite locations in Paris and very good location in my opinion.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM
cw

A third vote for the Place des Vosges. You'll be happy to have the A/C, and the extra room. Some of the other apartments seem too small for 4 people.

You'll be close to line 1 of the Metro which is very convenient for many of the major sights. But you'll also be near enough to walk if you're so inclined.
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Do you know about how long it would take to walk to Notre Dame from Place de Vosges - just trying to get an idea of distances.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:46 AM

You can check www.mappy.fr .

Entering Place des Vosges as your starting point, and Cité (the metro station) as your ending point, and choosing Pedestrian, the result is 1.75 km, which is just a bit over a mile.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the Place de Vosges apartment was just rented to someone else. Second choices anyone?
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
cw

The Latin Quarter apartment looks nice, is in a good location, and is on a courtyard so keeping the windows open should not mean hearing a lot of noise. The drawback is that the bathroom is off of the bedroom so it's less convenient with four people.

It's difficult to tell the size of the St. Germain apartment and they don't say what floor it's on or if there is an elevator. Great location though.

The Louvre apartment is in a convenient location but possibly won't have a "neighborhood" feel to it. But I do like the location and that it has two bathrooms--a real plus with four people. I'd ask about noise if the windows are left open at night.

I think the Ile St. Louis one, at 35 sq. m. is too small for 4.

I lean towards the Louvre unit but would ask about the noise. If the St. Germain is large enough and on a floor that suits you, I'd take it over the Louvre apt.

Old May 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I agree that the apartment on Isle St. Louis is small for 4, but the location is terrific. One can circumnavigate the island/village on foot in 10-15 minutes. Cross a bridge north and you're in the Marais. Cross south and you're in the Latin Quarter. And, you're just across the river from Notre Dame.

The island is principally residential, but the main street, rue St. Louis en I'lle, is lined with shops and restaurants and is lively in the evenings. Probably no more than a 5 minute walk north to the main east-west metro line.

Enjoy Paris.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM

We stayed in this apartment last year, and the location just can't be topped! We were there with our two teen grandsons and had plenty of space. The website is:
www.perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/24752.htm

It has a lift, and is just a few minutes walk to Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Seine, St. Michel, two metro stops, many cafes, bakeries, grocery - really an unbeatable location if it's available!