Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP W/SUGGESTIONS TO NARROW CHOICES FOR HOTELS IN FLORENCE

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 05:53 PM
ginny

We are going to Venice for 2 days, hopefully staying at the Pensione Accademia, then to Florence for 3 days. I have researched all the posts and guidebooks and have narrowed the hotels to stay at in Florence tofrom low to high)-Hotel Casci ($121), Mario's Hotel($148), Relais Uffizi ($162), Morandi all Crocetta($179) and finally Beacci Tornabuoni($198).

Is there a particular area we would be better staying in to be more centrally located for walking everywhere? Also, given the price differences, are the more expensive ones worth the difference for ambiance, comfort, etc.

The Relais Uffizi is by the Piazza Signoria, is that too far out from town?

Hope some of you might have some input. The commentaries I have found on this sight have been really helpful.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Leslie

Don't know the Mario hotel, but all of the others are centrally located. Everything in the historic center of Florence is within walking distance of each other.

Is the Piazza della Signoria too far out from town??? Check a map...it is right smack dab in the center of everything!

I can't tell you if the comfort of a more expensive hotel is of value to you but yes, the Beacci Tornabuoni is quite nice and the Morandi alla Crocetta gets raves too. The Hotel Casci is clean and comfortable, with friendly staff and is well regarded by many on this board, but not fancy by any means.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:54 AM
ginny

Leslie,

Thanks.Believe it or not, I did try looking at a map and it looked like the Piazza Signoria was more on the outskirts. I think it's because the maps have all been in pieces....

I guess I want to be centrally located to most of the shopping.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:40 AM
sallly

I am wondering about the Beacchi Tornabuoni myself. Has anyone stayed in the smaller rooms on the upper floor (with a nice view I am told)? How small is small. I also found a rate at the Excelsior for $300/night v. the BT at $200. I know the Excelsior is supposed to be very luxurious. Worth the 50% more in price? (No criticisms on my math if that isn't correct!)

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 09:54 AM
elle

I just booked a room at Beacci Torn. after much research. Per several recommendations, I decided to upgrade to the superior double room to get the biggest "smallest" room - just a suggestion.
When are you going? We are considering the Accademia in Venice also but are having trouble making our minds up - plus, Accademia hasn't responded to my e-mail and fax... so that's not sitting well.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Terri

I stayed at the Tornabuoni Beaci in September on the top floor (I had asked for a single). I thought the room was a reasonable size - the bathroom was quite a squeeze. But the view was absolutely wonderful. The room was right above the outdoor terrace where you can have drinks.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 03:31 PM
ron

I stayed at Hotel Casci in Nov. for 5 nits. Nice hotel with reasonable rates,clean rooms,free internet service and nice breakfast and bar area. It's also located very close to Accadamia,cenral market etc. For the price u can't go wrong. Save some money and have abetter bottle of wine at dinner.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Jan

We stayed at Mario's in March 2000 and were incredibly disappointed. The hotel was ok, but the staff and Maria, in particular, were rude and stressed out. Nobody was helpful and a request for a second cup of coffee was met with disbelief. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend it!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:53 AM
elaine

Hi ginny
I haven't stayed at your hotels, but the Casci and the Beacci have been frequently praised here.
You can do a search on this message board on each to see what some of the other past comments have been, and you can also look in the Hotel section of this Fodor's website and check out the Rants and Raves comments.
Florence is very small, so if you're in town, even at the outer reaches you're usually not more than a half hour walk max from most sights
I have the book Hello Italy and about the Casci rooms it says:"pleasant ambiance...comfortable rooms...hair dryers...some have air conditioning...rooms in the back are much quieter...elevator"
About Mario's it says "buffet breakfast included...cozy...with old-fashioned rooms...hair dryers....air conditioned...no elevator." My "Cheap Sleeps in Italy" book (a few year's old) says about Mario's "you will not be able to top the hotel for general ambiance, friendliness, and a feeling of well-being...reflects the best in quality, value and comfort."
The Beacci seems to me to be on a different level entirely, based on what I've read on this message board and elsewhere, not surprising considering its higher price, my "Cheap Sleeps" book adds
"everything about the hotel, which is on the 3rd and 4th floors of an old palazzo, is still gracious and discerning...rooms are so inviting...rooftop terrace for afternoon drinks" air conditioning, elevator, minibars.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Tina

With regards to location, any of your choices are fine. Seen many regular praises on this forum for Hotel Casci as a good value. Any of your selections will work --- if you haven't already started e-mailing them, then availability may be the determining factor.

Buon Viaggio.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:25 AM
ginny

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. We have finally booked:Venice- Pensione Accademia (canal view room)and in Florence at the Sogiorno Battistero (Raul's recommendation). We decided to save money and eat the difference!

Would love input from anyone who has stayed at either of the two hotels we chose. We hope to have made a good choice.

To Elle, who replied - we will be in Venice Sat and Sun. May 4 & 5th then going on to Florence.

I will report back when we return in early May.