Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help w/ advice...making a transfer at Charles De Gaulle doesn't sound easy..

Please help w/ advice...making a transfer at Charles De Gaulle doesn't sound easy..

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:19 AM
T.Paul

Hi, thank you for helping me everyone. My problem is this. I am arriving at terminal 1(international terminal) at Charles de Gaulle. I am coming from St. Louis on TWA flight 818 and will be arriving to Paris very jet-lagged at 10:20 a.m. I have to catch a train to Munich, Germany and I understand that the train goes thru Mannheim. The train leaving bound for Munich (going thru Mannheim) leaves from what they called "Gare de L'est". I assume that roughly means east train track. I know that the train and airport staions are relatively close to each other but will I have to take a train to the Gare d l'est or should I take a taxi. Anyone who has been there might know the best solution. Specifically my train for Munich(passing thru Mannheim) leaves at 12:46 p.m. My arriving time by plane again is at 10:20 a.m. , Stupid question, will this be enough time to get to the train track and should I use the "RER" public transit system or just take a taxi. Which would be quicker and or more expensive and possibly how much(francs). Thank you all for reading my simplistic question posed by a first time international traveller. Best Regards all.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:48 AM
elvira

Gare de l'Est is a train station in the middle of Paris, not anywhere near CDG. You will have enough time to make the train, if your plane is on time and you don't have to wait for luggage.

Unless budget is a big factor, I suggest you take a taxi from CDG to the train station (30-45mins, $35-50). You could take the airport shuttle, but if there are other passengers on board, you may not go directly to the train station, as the other passengers may be dropped first.

You could take the RER, but that goes to the Gare du Nord, and you'd have to take the Metro or a taxi to Gare de l'Est. This is the cheapest method, but even Ms Miser here wouldn't do it; I'd pop for the taxi from the airport.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:23 AM
james

Flights across the Atlantic are usually on time, but the train staion is a long way from the airport. Get a taxi or you will either miss your train or get panicky or both. Get a taxi and you'll have no problem - even if your flight is a little delayed. Why didn't you fly to Munich or get an onward flight?!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:53 AM
Larisa

Taxi only!
They have a couple of shuttle buses with a limited amount of stops in the city. In addition, buses they make a round in the airport stopping about 10 times to pick up passengers.
We took such bus because of the long line for taxi, I asked the driver "Louvre?", he nodded "yes".
We boarded, spent more than an hour making loops and rounds in the airport, after all that he dropped us at the Arc De Triomphe. I ask him "what about Louvre?". He points down: "taxi!".
I was furious at him for lying and at myself for not waiting 15 minutes for taxi.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:27 AM
Lori

Don't even think about anything other then a taxi (unless you can get a lfight to Munich .. sounds simpler, but I guess you have a reason to take the train). The train station is in Paris .. no where near CDG as already pointed out. Allow at least 1 hour to get into the city (could be less, but allow 1 hr anyway). I think you will be cutting it close if the flt gets in at 10:20 - it takes time to disembark, collect baggage, go through customs, get a taxi, etc. If anything goes wrong you miss the train. I'd opt for an overnight in Paris and a train the next day! Seriously, why stress yourself out runing for a train you might or might not make. Planes can be late and if yours is a little late or baggage is slow coming (ours took forever .. 45 min. the last time we were at CDG in April) you are out of luck for your train connection. Personally, I'd never make these kinds of connections, but good luck in attempting it.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:29 AM
Lori

Taxi will cost between $30 and $50 depending on traffic, forgot to mention this.