Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help us pick a wine cave to tour in VOUVRAY this June! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-us-pick-a-wine-cave-to-tour-in-vouvray-this-june-531060/)

bettyo70 May 23rd, 2005 05:27 AM

Please help us pick a wine cave to tour in VOUVRAY this June!

Hi Everybody,

We have decided to tour one of the wine caves in Vouvray, because it is the most convenient for this trip. (Alas, Chinon and Saumur will be too far for us this time.)

Can anyone recommend one particular wine cave/estate in VOUVRAY which provided a great tour and tasting? Also, we prefer sparkling Vouvray, which should help narrow this down a bit.

Here are the ones mentioned for Vouvray:

1) Clos Baudoin;

2) Chateau de Valmar...wonderful 17th c. gardens and produces good wine; and

3)Chateau de Montcontour(sits up high and quite majestically above the valley road outside Vouvray).

Thanks for your help!

bettyo70 May 23rd, 2005 06:02 AM

bettyo70 May 23rd, 2005 08:49 AM

hello? Vouvray...anyone?

StevePWales May 23rd, 2005 02:00 PM

Hi Betty,

My wife and I were in the Loire this Easter and drove around Vouvray.

I was looking for a cellar tour or similar and as I hadn't booked anything or planned enough, we just drove around the town.

Chateau Moncontour was the only property we came across which was clearly setup for tourist visitors.
There was also the local growers co-operative who had a retail operation which offered tastings, but this was a modern retail unit rather than a cellar.

Might be worth getting more details from the property themselves as we couldn't find the entrance at Moncontour and ended up driving around their bottling line (or at least it felt like it).

We have had a few bottles of Moncontour since we got back and it is perfectly acceptable, although I am sure there are much better examples of Vouvray to be had from some of the smaller producers.

btw. Chateau Moncontour's wine is very widely stocked in the local supermarkets if you want to stock up.

StevePWales May 23rd, 2005 02:03 PM

Quick further point.

Compared to other wine regions we have visited (notably Alsace and Champagne), Vouvray seemed far less tourist-oriented, and finding vinuous entertainment was more of a struggle than the wine villages of Alsace where it sometimes seems like there is nothing other than wine outlets.

MichelleY May 23rd, 2005 05:00 PM

Dear Betty:

We visited a Vouvray grower about 15 years ago: Vincent Raimbault in Chancay. Small cave with very nice Chenin blanc. I recently ran across his wine in San Francisco, so he is still around. Sorry I can't tell you how to arrange a visit, but I thought maybe this info would help a little.

nonnafelice May 23rd, 2005 06:09 PM

We had a really great tour at the Caves Monmousseau in Montrichard. It wasn't in Vouvray, but it ended with tasting their sparkling Vouvray wine. Montrichard is a nice little town, too; we had an excellent lunch there.
http://www.monmousseau.com/

If you click on my name, you will get a link to the trip report I recently posted.

As I mentioned, we were lucky that we got our tour in English; I don't know how much the guide would have translated for us if she was giving it in French.

bettyo70 May 23rd, 2005 06:50 PM

Steve and Michelle,

Thanks for sharing your Vouvray experiences. I know I toured a wine cave back in 1988, but it was arranged by my school program, so I have no recollection of the estate name.

Nonna: Thanks! I will look up the Montrichard estate you mentioned. Actually that's a great option since we will be in Chenonceau...very close.

A sparkling toast to all of you!
--Betty

MichelleY May 23rd, 2005 07:01 PM

Dear Betty:

I remembered Vincent Rambault because he was VERY handsome!!!

bettyo70 May 23rd, 2005 07:17 PM

Michelle,

Well, that's always a plus! But...was he more memorable than the wine?

cigalechanta May 23rd, 2005 07:18 PM

We had a vouray tonight, a wonderful wine sweet wine from the small district of Touraine. Never visited there but the best producers are Huet, Foreau, Allias, ch. Moncontour, Brisbarre,
Fouguet,ch. Gaudrelle and a few more.

bettyo70 May 23rd, 2005 07:26 PM

What a coincidence, Cigale!

bettyo70 May 24th, 2005 05:14 AM

P.S. The Moncontour estate is quite lovely. Will google the others...Merci beaucoup!