Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help. Paris or Barcelona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-paris-or-barcelona-1012671/)

Holly_Huayra Apr 27th, 2014 07:55 AM

Please help. Paris or Barcelona?

Hey there.
My name is Holly. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I am in year ten and at the end of this year, around November/December, I get to go on exchange to either Paris or Barcelona (Exchange is when you go over to another country for a month or so and stay with a family who has a child your age and then the child comes and stays with you) and I have no idea which one to choose.
I love fashion, food, coldish weather (nothing about 30 degrees Celsius), culture and learning new things.
I only speak English and I would like to learn a bit of French or Catalan/Spanish before I go over.
It would really help if you could leave a comment about just general stuff about either city. E.g people, culture, tourist spots, food, entertainment, expenses, weather, transport.

Thanks a lot :)

LancasterLad Apr 28th, 2014 01:12 AM

You won't be disappointed with either.

Apart from being in different countries the obvious difference is that Paris is inland with the River Seine running through it, whereas Barcelona is on the Mediterranean Coast and a bit warmer.

schnauzer Apr 28th, 2014 01:31 AM

Both are lovely cities. Maybe do a google images search of both and see which photos appeal to you the most. Perhaps watch some movies set in each city and again, which city appeals to you the most.

A friends daughter from Sydney is currently on exchange in Spain and loving it, however she is fluent in the language... I believe Spanish is easier to learn than French. But when you are young learning a language is easier than when you are old like me struggling with French.

Are any of your friends going over? Would you prefer to be with others or strike out on your own. I have just reread your post and realise it is only for a month, so really I don't think you can lose whichever way you choose.

Good luck.

Micheline Apr 28th, 2014 02:53 AM

I love both Paris and Barcelonaa but since you are going Nov./dec. I would chose Barcelona. Just for the weather.

adrienne Apr 28th, 2014 02:56 AM

I answered on your other thread.

mamcalice Apr 28th, 2014 04:54 AM

Paris and Barcelona are both wonderful cities. However, I think Paris is more diverse and would afford more opportunities to see a greater variety of things over the month that you will be there. You mentioned that you like coldish weather - you are more likely to get that in Paris.

Holly_Huayra Apr 28th, 2014 06:47 AM

Schnauzer, those are very good ideas. I just searched by image and Paris seems to be more my style, but I'll definitely watch some movies. I don't really need to be fluent but I'd like to be able to order something or ask directions. I think maybe one or two of my friends are planing to go over to Europe but they haven't decided where yet. Thank you. You've been a great help

Mamcalice, thanks. I'll be sure to take that all into account.

Thank you all very much for your help and advice :)

IMDonehere Apr 28th, 2014 07:02 AM

They are both wonderful in their own ways. If I had to choose between the two I would chose Paris.

Bedar Apr 28th, 2014 07:18 AM

Barcelona is Ok, whereas Paris is glorious !!

RM67 Apr 28th, 2014 07:19 AM

In November/December neither Paris or Barcelona will be hot - its winter in the northern hemisphere - so you can take temperature out of the equation before you even start thinking about any other pros and cons.

ira Apr 28th, 2014 07:24 AM

Hi HH,

As noted, it won't matter.

FWIW, Paris is my favorite city in the world.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

danon Apr 28th, 2014 08:16 AM

It is easy and cheap to fly from one city to the other( also a train connection)
Whichever you chose, you can visit the other for several days.

Robert2533 Apr 28th, 2014 08:38 AM

Paris, no question!

Ruby99 Apr 28th, 2014 12:31 PM

I've been to Paris 5 times, and would move there in a heartbeat. Never been to Barcelona, so I can't compare the 2, but you really can't go wrong in Paris.