Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help! Need train info from Airport to Gare Du Nord Station

Jun 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I am leaving for London in the morning 7:16 AM Eurostar departing at Gare Du Nord Station. Prior to this, I have to return the car rental at the airport (terminal 2)

My question is is the RER train 24 hours? If not, when is the earliest train? I can't find any site (at least not english site) that I can find the information.

Please help.

Yih Yooon
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:16 PM

My slightly old Paris guide says that the first RER train from the airport to Gard du Nord leaves at 0630 - too late for your Eurostar connection.
Can't you drop off the car the night before?
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I guess I have to do that, back to Airport the night before just to be safe.

Thanks for the info.

Yih Yoon
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Don't forget that there is a 20 or 30 minute check in time (security) for the Eurostars.
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Is it dangerous to stay overnight at the Nord train station?
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:21 AM

I don't understand this scenario.. do you need a car while in Paris? If you are coming to Paris from elsewhere in the car, can't you drop it off at the onset of your Paris visit?

You must be a young person to be open to the idea of staying all night in a train station; not my idea of fun or restful at all... Gare du Nord has its own population of "n'er-do-wells", that is, pickpockets, scam artists, and so on.
Jun 14th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Go to

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

enter From: Charles de Gaulle RER To: Paris Nord RER Time: 6:45 Arrival. There are 2 trains that arrive in plenty of time.
Jun 14th, 2004, 09:41 AM

I don't really understand what you are doing, either, why make so much trouble with the car? I think you should return it to the airport before this day so it isn't a problem. If you aren't in Paris before this, but coming in from somewhere else, I guess it makes more sense.

The first RER train from CDG towards Gare du Nord leaves around 5 am, so this should not be a problem in that regard.
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

What happens is on July 10th I will be renting a car from Airport for a two days trip to Loire Valley. Unfortuantely my tripmate has to go home a little early than planned so he has to take the Eurostar 7:16am on July 12th. I am worried that if I return the car early morning (such as 5am), there may not be a train to Nord station yet.

If there is a train leaving at 5am then I am not worried and won't have to stay at Nord
Jun 16th, 2004, 09:41 AM

You didn't say which airport you have to return it to. From www.ratp.com (although a French page only) the first RER trains leave CDG just before 5:00 am and arrive at Gare du Nord at just before 5:30 am. I still don't understand where you would stay the night before since you are coming from the Loire (west or even southwest) to CDG (northeast). Also, I would make sure the airport car rental return is available at such hours. (If your airport is instead Orly, the first train is at 6:00 am and only goes as far as "Anthony" and it would be a switch to metro to Gare du Nord (another 20 minutes or so) so it would be 6:30 am at the earliest before you would arrive at Gard de Nord from Orly.) What are you doing after you put your friend on the train? Have fun plotting your course!