Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help me work out the pros and cons of visiting Paris and Prague in the same trip. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-me-work-out-the-pros-and-cons-of-visiting-paris-and-prague-in-the-same-trip-470548/)

Jocelyn_P Aug 28th, 2004 10:27 AM

Please help me work out the pros and cons of visiting Paris and Prague in the same trip.

DH and I are getting ideas for our next big trip, possibly in June 2005. I'm anxious to see both Paris and Prague, and have been trying to decide which to see first. I know we could easily fill 10-12 days in either (about how much time we'd have), but this morning it came to me that we COULD do both in the same trip, using whichbudget.com to find a cheap flight in between. So far we have been to Austria (with a quick drive through parts of Germany) and Italy twice.

Here are my concerns:

Up until now our trips have always included a good mix of city and countryside, so I'm afraid of getting burned out with city city city. How intense are these cities in comparison to the major cities in Italy?

I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount of time traveling. Our ticket will have to be RT--no open jaw.

It will be just the two of us on this trip, but in 2006 we're talking about taking our kids with us to Italy (now 2 and 4). So, this could be our last trip alone for awhile, hence the urgency to see both Paris and Prague.

I understand that this is very subjective. I just want to get others' thoughts and experiences since you all are so helpful and insightful ;;).

TopMan Aug 28th, 2004 10:52 AM

It might be hard to really get "burned out" by these two cities because they are, in many ways, vastly different.

Whereas Paris is wonderfully grand, Prague, at least in the "old Town" environs looks almost medieval..take away those cars and trams and you understand why the city has been used for so many movie exteriors from "Amadeus" on down.

Not sure how you might ultimately define the term "intense" but this pair of cities is NOT to be missed IMO....GO for it!

KS452 Aug 28th, 2004 11:02 AM

<<Up until now our trips have always included a good mix of city and countryside, so I'm afraid of getting burned out with city city city.>>

That's what daytrips were made for. Do as many or as few as you like, either self-designed or with an organised company.

ira Aug 28th, 2004 11:15 AM

Hi JP,

www.whichbudget.com doesn't list any flights between Paris (all 3 airports) and Prague.

nytraveler Aug 28th, 2004 11:17 AM

Agree that these two cities go very well together - they are very different. And IMHO Paris is not really that hectic - and Prague is not hectic at all - very relaxed and slow-paced. And, as mentioned above, you can always do a day trip in either place if you want.

Why not go for an open-jaws flight into paris and out of prague = it would save returning to paris?

rex Aug 28th, 2004 11:24 AM

<<www.whichbudget.com doesn't list any flights between Paris (all 3 airports) and Prague.>>

Ummm... sorry, ira - - need to adjust those bifocals - - smartwings.net serves PRG-CDG. Fares from 55 euro.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jocelyn_P Aug 28th, 2004 11:26 AM

Thanks all.

Ira, I got the same result with whichbudget.com looking at next March (they don't have anything listed yet for June), but when I did a search for this October, there were some choices on SmartWings. Perhaps they just don't schedule that far in advance?

nytraveler, I'm a big fan of open-jaw flights, but we have a free ticket waiting for us with our Capital One miles and that has to be RT.

Keep the ideas coming!

ira Aug 28th, 2004 11:29 AM

Sorry for sending the wrong info JP.

REX,
I swear that that listing wasn't there when I looked, checked and rechecked. :)

Kristinelaine Aug 28th, 2004 11:41 AM

So far, these are my two FAVORITE cities in Europe, so I say GO FOR IT! I would split your time with a little more to Paris, since there is so much to see there. If you have 10 days -- maybe 6 and 4. Or if you have 12, maybe 7 and 5. This might be influenced by the number of day trips you want to do in each place.

Jocelyn_P Aug 30th, 2004 04:03 AM

Any other thoughts?

mamc Aug 30th, 2004 04:31 AM

By all means, go for it! Paris is simply the best and you shouldn't miss it but with 10 - 12 days, you have plenty of time for Prague, too.

Nikki Aug 30th, 2004 04:40 AM

The past two years I have gone to Europe with my daughter on her spring break, seeing two different cities on each trip and flying between them. The trips have lasted eight nights each, and we stayed three nights in the first city and five nights in the second city and we have really enjoyed this. It gives you a sense of the variety in Europe when you pick two cities with very different languages, food, culture. Our pairings were Paris and Rome last year, London and Venice this year.

Since you can spend more time than we did in each city, I think it would be a great time to sample two very different cities, especially since you have a strong desire to see them both.

elaine Aug 30th, 2004 10:44 AM

Hi
Yes to the daytrip ideas if you need a break from the urban thing, though Paris strikes me as more hectic with traffic and noise than Prague is, at least in the city center.
IMO, even Paris is not as 'intense' hectic as Rome, which I enjoyed but found very noisy with traffic a nightmare (and I live in NYC!) Paris's metro system is also more extensive than Rome's. Prague uses a lot of trams (street cars) but the center of it is entirely walkable, with Prague Castle being the only really challenging (uphill) bit.

6 days in each, or 5-6 in Paris and
4-5 in Prague would seem perfect to me, including your travel day from one to the other.

I have files on P and on P; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]

cheryllj Aug 30th, 2004 11:21 AM

I am leaving for Paris in two days, and, after four days and three nights in Paris, will be heading to Prague for three days/three nights. We are taking Smartwings and the flight is less than 2 hours, and was 186 euros for 2 people. So we are doing both cities in seven days, less than the time you have. It can definitely be done!

Fritz7 Aug 30th, 2004 02:44 PM

I've been to both cities, and they are both wonderful. Paris is without a doubt, in my view, the capital of Europe. Prague, on the other hand, is the gem of middle Europa. Doing both cities could be a bit rough on one trip. Theyy are BOTH major cities. A number of years ago, I spent a week in Prague and a week in Budapest. Budapest is less hectic than Paris but a major, beautiful city. And there are great day trips out of Budapest, especially if you are into the baths and such.
Given the choice, I would go to Paris, and take day trips to the French countryside. Only when you have seen Paris, do you really feel you have seen Europe. Your kids will like Prague better.

N2it Aug 31st, 2004 04:19 PM

I would recommend spending your trip in Paris and vicinity. We spent 11 days last October between Paris, Normandy and the Mont St Michele area. Our days were full and there was more to see when we had to leave. Paris has a lot to see and do. We've also been to Prague which is very lovely and beautiful. Three full days and 4 nights will provide a wonderful visit to Prague. What we did, and what I suggest, is to visit Vienna, Prague and Budapest in a separate trip. This will also give you and opportunity to visit areas outside the main cities. I think you would be spreading yourself to thin with a Paris/Prage visit. Also, for intra Europe fares try Applefares.com!

Jocelyn_P Sep 3rd, 2004 12:21 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. Elaine, I will email you for your files when we decide where we're going. DH now is talking Scotland, so we may instead try to swing an Edinburgh-Paris trip and do a Prague-Vienna trip with the kids (4 year old daughter would love the Lippizaner stallions!).

dutyfree Sep 4th, 2004 09:05 AM

Just wanted to state that Elaine's files are wonderful on Prague! If you want to fly between the two cities-check into Czech Air and Air France as they are codeshare partners within the Delta system and have frequent flights between both cities.Enjoy-they are terrific!

Patrick Sep 4th, 2004 09:27 AM

I was wondering why you stated that you couldn't do an open jaw flight which would make so much sense, but now I see. Thanks for giving me yet another reason why I don't "get" the advantage of Capital One. They won't let you do an open jaw flight? That's all I do with my American awards!

Jocelyn_P Sep 4th, 2004 09:39 AM

Patrick,

Capital One works well for us because with our kids now starting school, we have very little flexibility with our travel dates. Capital One lets you pick out your itinerary, no questions asked. We do have an AAFF account through which we have now accrued enough miles to upgrade our award tickets to business class. Yes, it would be nice to fly open jaw, and I have made noise to Capital One about it, but we're willing to trade away that perk for more flexibility. In addition, we take some domestic flights where flying American doesn't make sense, and Capital One will still cover those tickets on other airlines.