Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me translate what I think is a parking ticket from Italy!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Before I got any further, we are NOT trying to get out of paying this ticket, will pay without question (especially since it appears to be going on the credit card!!). I really would just like some help understanding what the ticket is for!!

One of my travel companions received a letter from Autoeuropa on Monday. It states that there was a violation detected durign the period we were in possession of the vehicle. There is a copy of our rental agreement and what I assume is a copy of the ticket, that was sent to the rental agency.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the ticket was for. I can figure the date/time, but please help with the following--

Transitava in zona a traffico limitato senza autorizzazione. La violazione non e stata immediatamente sontestata causa: Rilevazione elettronica degli accessi alla ZTL effettuata.

I 'think' that we must have driven or parked in a restricted area??? Am I even in the ballpark here? I couldn't see anything that would lead me to believe it was a speeding ticket, and I honestly don't think that we sped at all. It is from the Comune Di Pisa, and is from the time that we were either in Pisa, or driving from Pisa to Marina di Pisa.

Thanks so much for your help.

Happy Travels!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM

I'm sorry I can't assist with the Italian translation. Just an idea here, but have you called Autoeurope and asked them to assist with an explanation?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM

I don't even know Italian, but do Spanish and French, and it seems fairly obvious that you had a traffic violation because you were in a limited traffic zone without authorization. Some towns have areas that you aren't allowed to drive without a permit or being a local resident. It says you were electronically surveyed, I believe, and that's how you got it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:16 AM

you passed through an "authorized only traffic" area and are not auhorized( maybe some street or side street) and you were electronically captured.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

The person who got the ticket was planning on calling the rental agency today.

Curiosity was getting the best of me, and I knew I'd get some sort of clarification here!

Christina, that's what I was guessing, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks so much!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lincasanova!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM

Christina has it about right, I'd say.

My conversational Italian is decent, but my reading and writing are only
so-so. However, I get from it that your vehicle was spotted by camera in a limited traffic zone. The probably got a picture of the license plate.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM

Bablefish translation website translates it this way, LOL!!

It journeyed in zone to limited traffic without authorization. The violation and be immediately sontestata cause: Survey electronic of the accesses to the carried out ZTL.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I had the same experience in Italy with AutoEuropa. I got three tickets for driving in some "limited zone" which i had no idea has limited. About 6 months after i returned from Italy, i got a notice in the mail that i have been charged for three fines at 138 euros a piece. The fines were 78 euros each and AutoEuropa added a 60 euro service charge to each ticket. Now, a car that cost me only 150 euros to rent is costing me 414 euros or about $570 total. This appears to be quite a scam that takes advantage of non-Italian speaking tourist.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Excuse me, it is NOT a scam. Anyone having done a small amount of research would know that many, if not most, historic centers of Italian cities have limited-access zones.

AutoEuropa's add-on seems a little excessive, but I'm sorry, you should have known the rules and obeyed them.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
ira

>AutoEuropa's add-on seems a little excessive..

It seems a lot excessive.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM

There was just another post here about Autoeuropa and some complaints about them. Should also not confuse with autoeurope who generally gets very high ratings here.

But Autoeuropa seems problematic.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM

The scam is not as much the tickets as it is the $90 service charge they attach to the tickets. That made it about $270, which i feel is excessive. You don't have an opportunity to challenge the tickets or the service charge. They just charge your credit card and you have to pay it.