Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please Help Me Plan My 1st Trip to Italy! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-me-plan-my-1st-trip-to-italy-516593/)

bacalli Mar 28th, 2005 06:02 PM

Please Help Me Plan My 1st Trip to Italy!

Hi. I'm taking my first trip to Italy at the end of May and am seeking advice on what city/cities to visit. I plan to stay a total of 9 nights and am planning to go to Rome and one or possibly two other cities (time permitting). Any suggestions on what cities to visit and how long to stay? Keep in mind that I'm a 28 year-old woman traveling alone and am looking for a combination of sightseeing, scenic relaxation, and some nightlife (e.g., a highly romantic destination oriented towards couples might not be the best place for me). Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jean Mar 28th, 2005 06:18 PM

The best help and guidance we can give is to suggest that you buy a guidebook (or check one out of your library) and do some reading/research. Many libraries also have travel videos and/or DVDs on regions or towns in Italy. There are also a few travel programs on TV, although your planning time is very limited.

eurotraveller Mar 28th, 2005 06:19 PM

I travelled for 3 weeks in Italy a few years ago and went back to Rome again last year.

I take it you are not interested in seeing "romantic" Venice? An alternative would be the Italian Riviera, maybe Cinque Terra or Positano. I could stay in Rome for 2 weeks and still not get enough of it. I would recommend at least 4 nights in Rome.

Alajan Mar 28th, 2005 06:25 PM

Rome and Sorrento only because you mention scenic relaxation. I would choose only two cities if you must, spending the majority of my time in Rome. I am assuming you want to use train travel.

mamc Mar 29th, 2005 04:39 AM

If this is your first trip, I would recommend Rome, Florence and Venice. While Venice is romantic, I can think of no reason why that should deter you from visiting the most unique place I have ever seen. While Venice is undoubtedly romantic, my first trip there was with 5 college friends and I was overwhelmed!
If you don't want to go to Venice, spend 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in a Tuscan or Umbrian town, taking day trips, and 3 nights in Florence.
I agree that you should do some research to see what appeals to you about Italy and what you don't want to miss.

bacalli Mar 29th, 2005 06:06 AM

Thank you all for the recommendations. I will definitely reconsider Venice while also looking at Sorrento and the Italian Riviera. Thanks again!

HowardR Mar 29th, 2005 06:18 AM

When you say "9 days," does that include your arrival and departure days? That makes a difference. If it does, then 2 destinations should definitely be your maximum. If it's 9 full days, then I'd still recommend only 2 destinations, but you could do 3.
Rome and the Amalfi Coast would be a good combination. You'll have the big city of Rome and the scene relaxation of the Amalfi Coast.
However, Venice can certainly fit into any itinerary and be a good compansion to any other Italian destination.

ira Mar 29th, 2005 06:36 AM

Hi bac,

There are good reasons why the Big Three, Rome, Florence and Venice, are the usual sights for first-time visitors.

I suggest that you start with the fodors mini guides for Italy.

Click on "Destinations".

((I))

debbieinstowe Mar 29th, 2005 10:41 AM

I would say from Rome, go south to the Amalfi coast! See Positano and Pompeii! OR, for something entirely different from Rome, go to Cinque Terre. It is truly unique and wonderful, especially if you like to hike!

wanderlust5 Mar 29th, 2005 10:51 AM

I agree with everything the others said! Don't miss Florence! If you can do an Amalfi drive tour, don't miss it - you might want to stay one night in Sorrento to accomplish this - and if you can make it to Venice that would be great but it's a haul from Rome. With 9 days, and if you insist on Venice, I'd start in Venice and work my way down the boot. Make notes, because you will definitely return to Italy once you fall in love - which you will - with country, the people, the food, the music, everything! Each time I go I return to a few favorite haunts, but also always add a few "new" places. Check out my Italy pages at Virtual Tourist (www.virtualtourist.com). My member name is sbenedec. Enjoy!

ira Mar 29th, 2005 11:58 AM

>...from Rome, go south to the Amalfi coast! See Positano and Pompeii! OR, for something entirely different from Rome, go to Cinque Terre. <

Positano, Pompeii and the AC are similar to Rome? :)

((I))

rh28rh Mar 29th, 2005 12:15 PM

We just returned from a 10-day trip to Italy..Even though our schedule may sound a little "rushed",but we really enjoyed it.
3/18-arrived in Milan early am. Toured city on our own.
3/19-traveled by train to Lake Como. Spent about 1 hr.there while waiting for hydrofoil to go to Bellagio. Returned to Milan.
3/20& 21-Venice and its surrounding islands.
3/22&23-Florence.Took the earliest train out of Venice.Arrived in Florence by 9:30am.Checked in our hotel.Returned to train station to go to Pisa(40 mts).Returned to Florence and had time to walk throughout the city. On the following day, we booked a tour to the Academy to see David and not wait in line. Went to Piti Palace in the afternoon.In reality we could have spent another day there to see more sights but decided on the following-
3/24-Rome.Arrived early aft. Went to Collisium and other sites nearby.
3/25-Naples.Took an early train. Arrived around 10:00am. Took ferry to Capri. Stayed there from 12:00pm to 4:00pm. Walked by the Naples' waterfront. Later returned to Rome
3/26&27-Rome. Spent 2 days touring the major sites and walking around.
3/28-Returned to USA.
This was accomplished by preparing ahead of time-reading travel books, searching the net, posting ??? in this site, purchasing a rail pass for Italy, and booking all our hotels through the web, and selecting hotels quite near all the major cities' train stations. Good planning is the key, as well as you deciding your preferences.
Have a great trip!