Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me plan a trip to France (Paris and one other region)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
alg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I realize it may be a little early to start planning this trip, but what can I say except that I am already a little excited. We will have 8 nights in the beginnig of September, 2005. I would like to spend 3-4 nights in Paris (we were there this past July and loved it, plus we didn't have enough time to get to everything we wanted). From there, these are my options as I see them:

Provence (base in St. Remy 4-5 nights)

Alsace...can we stay in the same place for 4 nights and do Colmar and the Route de Vin? Or, should we split the trip between two small towns? Looking at staying in Obernai or Eguisheim.

Normandy (4 nights, perhaps 2 different locations)

We are 30ish, into good food, cathedrals, wandering through cute towns, scenic drives, and will rent a car regardless of where we go. And, we are very much into wine (which is why I'm leaning towards Alsace), particulary visiting wineries and tasting new wines. If we don't go to Normandy this year, we will likely make a trip to the D Day sites the following year.

So...what do you think? Which region would be the best choice for some leisurely travelling winos?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:56 AM

If the emphasis is on wine either Burgundy (Beaune) or Bordeaux, would be my picks.

If history is the emphasis Normandy (Bayeux)would be my pick. Our visit to the Normandy battle site and the American cemetery a few years ago are seared in my memory. You could also also visit Honfleur, a scenic coastal town.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:02 AM

I agree with Powell... if you're really "into" wines, Alsace wouldn't be my pick.
Actually in this area of Provence (around St Remy) there are some excellent vineyards, and the weather is more likely to be better at that time of year.

Patricia
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:38 AM

How about the Loire?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:42 AM

We have visited all these places except the Alcace. With 3-4 nights, I would choose Normandy or the Loire. Provence is my favorite but I would suggest a longer stay. Either Normandy or the Loire would be more easily covered in 3-4 days. If you visit Normandy, Bayeux is a lovely place to stay.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM

Normandy won't satisfy your desire for wine touring. I would go to Provence--take the TGV and rent your car. TGV back to CDG for your return home. You'll maximize your time that way.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:59 AM

I would suggest one of four places:
1. Provence, hitting the Chateauneuf du Pape, etc. wineries.
2. Champagne region (Reims, Troyes)
3. Burgundy
4. Sancerre/Bourges
You could tick all your boxes in any of these areas.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:04 AM
alg
Original Poster

Ack! So many choices...

Thank you all for your responses. My original thought was Provence, but was afraid that we didn't have enough time to do it justice. I want to spend a minimum of 3 nights in Paris because I think it's wonderful and we only have 8 total for this trip.

I've done a little reading up on Burgundy and that sounds very nice and manageable with the time we have. But, Alsace also sounds very charming.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
blh

All of these areas are really nice - we have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Having just returned from France (Provence, Burgundy and Paris this trip), I would suggest Burgundy. It's close to Paris and the landscapes are just beautiful. There are planty of wineries to keep you busy. We stayed in Beaune which makes a good base for day trips. The Burgundy area has some of the quaintest villages and most scenic drives in France in my opinion.

Having said that we also love Alsace - and Equisheim is the cutest little village (Equisheim is very small - not much happening in the evening. Colmar might be a better choice for staying as there is much more to do - restaurants, etc.) I would recommend staying in one place and doing day trips. St. Remy is a good base for Provence and there are plenty of day trips in that area also.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
ira

hi alg,

>We will have 8 nights in the beginnig of September,....<

Well, now you will have another 8 nights in Paris.

However, since you seem to feel that somehow Paris will bore you (kids today just don't know how well they've got it), doing a few days in Dijon or Beaune would be, I think, rather pleasant.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
alg
Original Poster

Ira, believe me when I say I feel very lucky! I think moving to Paris would be the only way to improve upon my position

I have definitely ruled out Provence for this trip and now will decide between Burgundy and Normandy...I just finished Underhill's Normandy trip report and am hooked! I think that the following itinerary, while not heavy on wine like I had originally wanted, may be the best use of our time. Please feel free to comment if you think I'm wrong...

4 nights Paris (we will stay at the Hotel Artus as our last stay was just about perfect)

1 night in Les Andelys (visit Giverny among other things)

3 nights based in Normandy (saw what looks like a lovely chateau just outside of Caen or maybe stay in Hornfleur)

Question: can we make it back to CDG from the Normandy area for a midday departure or would it be better to be closer to Paris the night before we leave?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:26 AM

I too looked up the place at Les Andelys (sp). If you stay there, please give us your impressions when you come back. Sounds like a good trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:27 AM
ira

Hi alg,

>...can we make it back to CDG from the Normandy area for a midday departure or would it be better to be closer to Paris the night before we leave? <

I suggest staying in Paris the night before. Too much can go wrong.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:49 AM

oooh. I think it's cutting it close to think you can make it back from Normandy in time for a midday departure. We just flew out of CDG last week. I was happy for the security however, it was a much onger process than I had ever imagined it would be. We stayed in the 6th and left the hotel 3 hours before our flight. We needed every minute.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:34 AM
alg
Original Poster

Hmmm...it looks like all return flights to San Francisco depart CDG by noon. Maybe we will reverse our trip and go to Normandy first, drop the rental car, and then take the train to Paris. I would rather not have to lose a night in the Normandy area.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Hello alg: I, too, am trying to devise an itinerary for Paris and Normandy for next July. Perhaps we can help each other. Here is what I am planning:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34539110

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 08:38 AM
alg
Original Poster

Thanks, Ronda. Sounds like we have very similar plans. The insight into the traffic on your thread was helpful. I am already looking forward to this trip and it is 10 months away (we even have a cuople of trip planned in between)!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM

I know what you mean! We are going to Paris over Thanksgiving as my husband has business in Brussels. I'm supposed to be working on THAT!

I'm starting to formulate more concrete plans for Normandy with tips from Fodor-ites. Aren't these people great!
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:12 AM
alg
Original Poster

LOL! We are going to Costa Rica for Thanksgiving...I haven't gotten directions from the first hotel to the second, but I have our hotel in Honfleur picked out! Paris over Thanksgiving...lucky you! Have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Alg
All of these suggestions are great and there are very few places in France that are not great places to go to. However if you would like something very different and not available anywhere else in the world, I suggest that you go to the Dordognes and visit the prehistoric cave paintings in Les Eyzies. These are the only ones I know of that still open to the public. And remember these are the originals. It is truly breath taking to go down into these caves and stand right next to the original art work done 17,000 years ago. We visited two of the caves. One has paintings and the other carvings. Have seen many cathedrals and beautiful landscapes, but this is still one of our finest memories of France.

Gary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -