Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help me plan 4 nights in Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-me-plan-4-nights-in-provence-37366/)

jeanne Jan 23rd, 1999 12:49 PM

Please help me plan 4 nights in Provence

Hi guys! <BR> <BR>A couple of questions: <BR> <BR>We want to take 4 nights somewhere in the Provence region next summer/early fall (last week of August or first week of September). We will be in France a month or so, but unfortunately, due to other commitiments we can only take a short side trip down to Provence. So here are my questions- <BR> <BR>I am having trouble deciding with this little time what "flavor" trip to plan- more of a Mougins "foodie" nearer the coast kind of trip, an Aix-en-Provence centered "culture centered trip", or the Luberon-more outdoorsy kind of trip. Anybody have strong feelings-suggestions (aside from stay longer-which would be my first reaction). Again, with this short of time, my instincts are to stay in one hotel versus move around and just make day trips. Any hotel/gites suggestions would be highly welcomed! Oh and of course restaurants-but I haven't yet searched the site-I suspect there is plenty of info. <BR> <BR>Also, we are considering the raileurope train/car package because the prices seem good and I like the drop off aspect. Has anyone ever actually done this? I have always jsut bought tickets for the TGV and then gotten a car separately-I am a shade worried about them having a car availabe, etc with the Eurail pass deal. I would love any feedback <BR> <BR>thanks <BR> <BR>jeanne

Monica Jan 23rd, 1999 01:38 PM

Hi Jeanne, <BR> <BR>We've written to each other before. <BR> <BR>I'm sure you want information a.s.a.p., but I thought I'd mention that my husband and I will be in Provence in May for 3 nights. We're staying in Avignon and will rent a car for 2 days (to see Arles, Pont du Gard, St. Remy, and other towns in that area) (doing the rail/drive pass). I'll definitely post my comments on our trip when we return. In the meantime, I hope you receive a lot of responses since they'll help me too! Monica

jeanne Jan 23rd, 1999 02:14 PM

Monica-hi! <BR> <BR>I will of course be interested in your trip-have you decided where you will stay in Avignon? Or will you change hotels? <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Joe Jan 26th, 1999 05:03 PM

We used a rail/car package in '96 and got quite a good deal. We took the train to Nimes and rented a car at the airport (learning that provincial airports are often closed on Sunday for at least part of the day, which slowed us down a little). We spent a day in Nimes, which has some of the best Roman ruins in the area including the Maison Carree that inspired Jefferson. We then drove to Avignon, spent the evening and next morning, saw the papal palace, then stopped at the Pont de Gard on the way to Arles. In the afternoon we visited St. Trophime and explored the town, and the next day went to the historical musuem, which has an amazing collection of Roman sacophagi. In the afternoon we drove to Aix . . . . Didn't mean to write a book, but it was a very enjoyable 4 days in Provence.

andrea Jan 27th, 1999 06:46 AM

Hi Joe and Monica, please give me info on hotels that you stayed and will be staying. Monica, I will also be in Provence in May. I thought I saw your messages earlier re Paris in May! Thanks guys! <BR>Andrea

Bob in Regina Jan 27th, 1999 12:56 PM

Jeanne, Whichever option you choose, staying in one location for the duration is very possible. It is easy to stay in Provence in one spot for a few nights and get everywhere because distances are reasonable. Staying in Arles, Nime or Avignon for example, allows you to see those places, Les Baux, and even get down to the Camargue with little problem. And, it is nice to be able to unpack for a few nights and not have to keep moving every day!