Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick one of these hotels, B & B in Luberon area

Jun 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

The more I read the more confuse I become with where to stay to visit the hill towns. After help from all of you I really will make my decision. These are the choices I've come up with:

Le Mas Perreal in St. Saturin les apt.
Le Clos du Buis in Bonnieux
Le Mas de Cante Perdrix in Mazan
Villa Velleron
Hotel Cesar in Bonnieux
Le Buisson in Gault

What I'm interested in mostly is somewhere with a nice view and close to a nearby village. It's mainly the location and not the size of the room that I'm interested in. I know I put quite a few places but they all look so great.

Thank you for your help.
Jun 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM

I just returned from the Luberon two weeks ago. I stayed at Le Mas Perreal. It was a lovely farmhouse with huge rooms and wonderful views. It's five minutes drive from St. Saturnin d'Apt. However, it's really on the eastern border of the Luberon and I'd recommend something else further west. Ten years ago, I stayed at Le Clos de Buis in Bonnieux. I believe the B&B had just opened. I loved it but it's quite different because it's in Bonnieux itself and not in the country. The food was great and the people were nice (I left a diamond/sapphire ring there and they mailed it to me). There were nice views out the window and there was a backyard to relax in. You could walk to dinner. The rooms weren't as large as Le Mas Perreal but they were good-sized.

I'm sorry that I can't be helpful about your other choices. Based on the two places I've stayed, I'd choose Le Clos du Buis.
Jun 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I never stayed at the Cesar but know it(close to the resto, Le Fournil) and love Bonnieux.
All your choices have had good reports. Read up on the village you might prefer.
Jun 20th, 2007, 05:38 AM

I stayed at Villa Velleron in 2002 and it was fabulous. It was sold shortly after that, but I'm sure the same high standards are still in place. Fairly central location to get to everything.

Last summer I stayed at a B&B guesthouse in Pernes les Fontaines and it was absolutely gorgeous and the breakfasts were wonderful!!! www.lelavandinprovence.com. Also, central location to get to everything. The hostess (Georgia) is American so there's no problem with the language. She is a gem!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Hi,

We stayed at both Le Clos du Bois and Le Mas de Cante Perdix on our last trip to Provence and loved both of them.

The first is in Bonnieux and we had a lovely room with a view NW to the village of La Coste. The room was large and I think we paid a little more for the view. It was lovely. There is a large garden and pool in the backyard, and parking was avilable. We loved Bonnieux and found it a convenient base for travel. In fact, we are returning there this fall and renting an apartment for 3 weeks.

The Mas de Cante Perdix is also wonderful and the hosts are extraordinary. Again, our room was large. I don't remember a view from teh room, but there is a lovely pool and garden in the back. You can see Mt Ventoux from the garden and maybe some of the rooms have that view. The food is outstanding. The Mas is just outside of Mazan (you could almost walk there), but it is a very small village. Carpentras, with it's market and wonderful restaurants is about 10 minutes away. Lorraine and Sean are terrific and helpful hosts and they run a wonderful Mas. Mazan is further north and closer to the Dentelles. It is probably equal distant to Avignon as Bonnieux.

So, as others have said, it is probably important to establish what you want to do on your vacation. Nothing is far from each other, and the roads are excellent, and for the most part, well marked, but they are not, for the most part, superhighways, and it takes time to get from place to place.

There's a lot to see and do. Don't worry about seeing it all. Larry and I have had 2 longish vacations to Provence and still haven't visited Arles or Nimes. We seem pulled to the smaller villages. Others like the larger towns/cities. I'm sure you'll like it all!

Best of luck. Ask if you have any additional questions,

Margret
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

justretired, why did you stay at Le Clos du Bois and Le Mas de Cante, aren't they very close to one another, just wondering why you didn't stay in one location.

Well, whatever I pick it seems like I can't go wrong. Now I'm wondering when we get to Avignon TVG, would it be better to pick up our car and head to our country pick location and visit everything from there, or is it better to base ourselves in Avignon for 2 days to visit Avignon and St. Remy and Les Beaux.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Now I was just given another choice Mas Pomona in the village of Cheval Blanc, that also looks nice. Wow, wish I was there in person to see all those places.
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM

They ARE close to each other- maybe about 45 minutes or so. We decided to use Bonnieux to explore the Alpilles as well as areas south. We had enjoyed the Camargue on a previous trip and hoped to return there. Also, we had wanted to visit Arles and Nimes. We then thought that using a base in Mazan would allow easier trips north. In the end, it didn't work out the way we planned, but we did enjoy staying in both places though staying in Mazan did allow use to spend 2 days going through the villages in the Dentelles as well as visiting Orange.

If you want to stay in one place, I would chose either some - we prefer the Luberon, but many orefer the Alpilles. You can see that we do not gravitate to the larger towns- they are too noisy and touristy for our taste. However, lots of people love the ambiance of them. I personally would pick up the car at the TVG station and head out. If you want o stay in 2 places, you could pick a place in the Les Baux or Aix en provence area (for the southern sites) and then around Venasque, Velleron, or Mazan for the northern ones. But, you could always just chose one and go everywhere from there. Either way, it will be great!
-M
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

As far as what I want to do on my vacation is visit Avignon- mainly St. Benezet bridge and Palais of the Popes. Chateauneuf du Pape (winery), Pont du Gard, Van Gogh in St. Remy, Ruins in Les Beau, visit Gordes, Rousillon, Isle-sur-la-Sorque, I'd like to see beautiful landscaping, mountains, maybe a short hike, we love canals and rivers.

Hope that helps. Les Mas Perreal looks as if it's located somewhere with beautifuls scenery.
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Everyone raves about Mas Perreal, and Kevin is always so generous on the Forum. He sounds so nice- I'd like to visit him when we go to Bonnieux in October. The reason I decided on Bonnieux was that I thought Mas Perreal would be too far east. I think that with your needs, the area around Gordes or Bonnieux (about 10-15 minutes west) and/or the St Remy/ Les Baux area might be a bit more central.
Jun 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Just to give you my 2 cents, again....

We found Pernes les Fontaines very central to the places we wanted to see -- we went north to Vaison la Romaine, Seguret (a precious little perched village!), and Gigondas (Chateauneuf de Pape is up in this area), Pont du Gard to the east, south as far as Cassis one day, and Gordes, Bonnieux, Roussillon, Menerbes, and L'Isle sur La Sorgue to the east, and went to the market in St. Remy. Georgia would map our way each day and we would be off. Cassis was our longest travel day, but we so enjoyed the boat trip out to the Calanques.

Wherever you choose, you will LOVE the area!

I'm not sure that Avignon would be worth 2 days, in my opinion. I was there in 2001 to see the Palace of the Popes and the Pont. Avignon is a large town that I think is hard to navigate. If it were me, I would get the car at the TGV station and head to my ultimate base. Avignon is not a long drive from where you're looking and I'd just do a day trip there. We had lunch in Avignon last year before driving to Pont du Gard. Avignon just doesn't do it for me! I much prefer the smaller villages that all have so much charm.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Jun 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I think that's what we'll do, pick up a car and go in the Luberon area for 4 days and visit the villages from there.

Luvparee, the place in Pernes les Fontaines looks grest but it's too expensive, every else seems to be more reasonable. Le Mas Parreal does look and sound ideal too bad it's not centrally located. May we'll stay at Le Clos du Buis in Bonnieux for 4 days, everyone seems to think that's a pretty and central area.
Jun 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM

we also stayed in villa velleron in 2002. we really liked it there and thought velleron was very central-about 20 minutes to the luberon and the same to st. remy.
Jun 20th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Is Villa Velleron surrounded by pretty scenery? When I look at Le Mas Perreal it looks like it's surrounded by such pretty scenery.
Jun 20th, 2007, 03:42 PM

It looks lovely, doesn't ir? Le Clos du Buis is in a village and, although there are lovely views and we loved Bonnieux, you might prefer the countryside. In our time in Procence, we've stayed in 4 different B&Bs and loved them all. Relax and pick one.
Jun 21st, 2007, 01:31 AM

I wouldn't usually post to a thread about places to stay in the Luberon, but I did just want to clarify things on the geographical front as I am sure it will be helpful to the OP and to others intersted in the area.

First off, for an area with so many beautiful villages and sights, the Luberon is pretty compact. From the eastern extreme (Forcalquier) to the western edge (Cavaillon) it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive, to give you an idea.

The town of Apt is pretty much the geographical center, which is why the offices of the Luberon Parc are located there, I suppose.

The Luberon mountains cut right through the center of the Park, with the Petit Luberon in the west, the Grand Luberon in the center and the Luberon Oriental in the east.

The Park is bounded on the north by the Monts du Vaucluse and the Plateau d'Albion (lavendar country) and on the south and east by the Durance river. On the western edge, the park gives way to the flatter agricultural plain of the Durance and Rhone rivers (Pernes, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Cavaillon are located here).

You can divide the park itself into three main areas:

1) the Calavon Valley with the Luberon mountains to the south and the Monts du Vaucluse to the north. Villages running on the north side of the valley are Gordes, Joucas, Murs and St. Saturnin, while on the south side, there is Bonnieux, Lacoste, Menerbes and Oppede.

2) the Pays d'Aigues on the south side of the Luberon mountain up to the Durance river. Lauris, Lourmarin, Cucuron, Ansouis and Grambois are a few of the many villages to visit here.

3) the eastern Luberon running roughly east and northeast of Apt all the way over to Manosque and Forcalquier. An often overlooked part of the Park but with some very beautiful villages that remain quiet and unspoiled, even during the height of the tourist season. Caseneuve, Viens, Oppedette, Simiane are great just to name a few.

Bottom line, is that you can't really go wrong no matter where you stay as things are all pretty close and in any case, you are almost always driving on gorgeous routes, which is half the fun anyway.

So, apologies for the lenghty post, but hopefully Fodorites will find it useful.

-Kevin

p.s.: to Jeanette, thanks for the kind comments and hope you all recovered adequately for the rest of your trip !

p.p.s.: the Margret, please do call and stop by, it would be nice to put a face to the (screen)name.

p.p.p.s: while I can't vouch for the other places you listed, the Clos du Buis and the Mas Pomona are both quite lovely with friendly hosts and I'd recommend either one without hesitation.

Jun 21st, 2007, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the very helpful info Kevin. I am considering the Luberon for my holiday next year and that makes it easier to understand the region.
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:38 AM

I, too, can highly recommend Kevin & Elisabeth's beautiful Le Mas Perreal. We (2 couples) found the location ideal for our daily excursions - daytripping to Pont du Gard, Bonneiux, Gordes, Menerbes, Lacoste, St. Remy. Not only was the location perfect, but the hospitality and ambience made for a perfect vacation. Hope this helps...

p.s. hello kevin!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kevin for all your input. Your place looks really lovely on the web site, I'm thinking of just making my reservations at your place when the time comes. You are so helpful. I know you can't promote your place on this sight, if you would like to email me personally my email address is [email protected]
Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Kevin, like me posts alot on slowtrav and there, they are allowed to post their properties because of long standing members. I tried to do that here for our legitimate members but it was deleted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO