Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick a destination for family trip in March!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:16 AM
cheri

We are considering a family trip somewhere in Europe in mid March with our 2 sons who will be 9 and 12. Does anyone have suggestions for a place that might have activities for them as well as nice (warmer) weather if possible? We don't want to hop around too much, so destinations that have enough to keep us occupied for several days at a time or with lots of day trips would be great. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Rex

Rome, Campania (Pompeii, Caserta). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:13 AM
cheri

Thank you, I was actually considering that area as my first choice only hubby and I have been to Italy three times and would like to expand our horizons a bit. We've only been to Paris (once, no kids) . Any other suggestions anyone?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:15 AM
ingrid

Greece; the islands, or Crete?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Rex

Spain: Sevilla, Granada, Ronda, Costa del sol. <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:30 AM
marj

i have similar age kids and also take family vacation in march. This year we did Italy. Last year Paris and Amsterdam. The favorite of my kids is Italy, my son said it's the best places he's ever been. Paris was a bit museum-heavy for them, althoug they did enjoy it. Italy itself is a museum, everywhere you look there is something else amazing to see. We started in Venice and ended up in Rome, also did a day in Pompeii (which they loved). We did much of the usual sites but also did the Orvieto underground cave tour (and spent the night there) and the history of science museum in Florence (to take a break from art). They also loved the food which if your kids are picky eaters, is a big plus.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:36 AM
cheri

Thanks marj. Any suggestions for accomodations? There seem to be very few hotels that have rooms that can accomodate 4 so it looks like 2 rooms in many places. Would you recommend any of the hotels you stayed in? Also, can you tell me more about the caves? My sons LOVE caves and caverns and I wasn't even aware of those in Orvieto. And yes, one of mine is VERY picky, but he loves pasta and bread so I know he won't starve in Italy!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Marj

For info on the orvieto underground check out: www.italyguide.com/orvieto/orvieto2.htm. <BR> <BR>I emailed a bunch of hotels (recommended here, in books or by friends) asking about quads. SOme hotels may only have 1 or 2 rooms for 4 so they don't even list it on their websites or on reservation sites. we stayed in: <BR>Venice: Hotel Flora, 1 large room for 4, www.hotelflora.it <BR>Florence: Hotel Casci, 1 large room, www.hotelcasci.com <BR>ORvieto: Palazzo Piccolomini, 2 room suite, www.hotelpiccolomini.it <BR>Rome: Santa Chiara, 2 room suite, www.venere.com/it/roma/santa_chiara/ <BR> <BR>Only in the Piccol, they shared a pull-out, but in their own area. All other hotels they had their own twin. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:09 AM
xxx

Rent an apartment in Costa del Sol (preferiby Marbella or Puerto Banus). Lots of day trips possibilities, inexpensive, diverse activities (natural parks, Gibraltar, Granada, golf, bicycling, etc...). Good weather. Arrive to Madrid, fly/drive/train on to Malaga.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 08:03 AM
John

Well, the weather won't be too good, but may I humbly suggest the south of England? If you stay someplace commutable to London, there is so much to see and do for you and the kids, and they're just the right age for exposure to the British Museum, Greeenwich, Westminster Abbey, the Royal bits and all that. Plus they'll speak the language, it will be way less crowded than at other times of the year, and, who knows, you may even get lucky with the weather. Marbella it's not, marvelous it is.