Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me make a decision on hotels in Myconos and Santorini???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Zeke

My wife (23) and I (25) are going to Mykonos 5 days and Santorini 4 days August 12th - 22nd. Our travel agent suggested "The Mykonian Ambassador" or "Cavo Tagoo" in Mykonos, and for Santorini she suggested The"Chromata" or the "Sun rocks" . <BR>I understand the beaches are the main draw in Mykonos along with the nightlife and we are up for both. <BR>I understand that in Santorini, its all about the view of the caldera, and also that most people recommend OIA though both hotels i mentioned above are near Fira and boast excellent views, is this bad? Has anyone stayed at any of these places. im open to suggestions. <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>zeke <BR>[email protected]

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 09:11 AM
D.Spiegel

I was on both islands a few months ago. On Mykonos we spent one night at Cavo Tagoo and did not like it. So we checked out and into the Petatos Beach Hotel in Plati Yalos. Petatos Beach Hotel was exactly what we were looking for, and it was a lot less expensive than Cavo Tagoo. We had a pretty room overlooking the pool and the sea. The bathroom was very clean and modern. They even had washcloths that were like mittens. Their buffet breakfast was extensive, and we sat every morning in their pretty restaurant overlooking the sea, lingering over breakfast, enjoying every minute. Another good hotel in that area is the Petinos Beach Hotel. There are other hotels with similar names for these hotels, so be sure you ask for them exactly like this. Cavo Tagoo is about a 10-15 minute walk to town. From Plati Yalos you need to take a 10 minute bus ride (about $1) and the bus stops right at the hotel front door. From Plati Yalos you can catch the boat that stops at the popular Paradise and Super Paradise beaches. Regarding Santorini, we stayed at Sun Rocks and didn't want to leave. It was fabulous. We could walk to town along the path in 15 minutes, or the bus stopped right by the hotel to town or to Oia. Oia would be a great place to stay, but is less convenient. We had room 31 at Sun Rocks -- ask for it. It was a huge apartment with a huge veranda overlooking the sea. The people were extremely nice. Email me if you have more questions.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 09:26 AM
Bill Barr

Can't help you with the Santorini hotels but here goes with my own thoughts on the two Myconian hotels. <BR> <BR>The Myconian Ambassador is not situated in Myconos town but on the beach at Platys Gialos. The Ambassador is considered to be one of the best hotels on the island (is rated by some as 5 star)but the distance from the town may put some folks off. There are local bus services into Fira and there should also be hotel courtesy buses too. The journey time is between 15 and 20 minutes. <BR> <BR>Cavo Tagoo is thought to be the most stylish hotel in Myconos. It is situated high on a hill on the very edge of town overlooking Tagoo bay. It and may prove difficult to access by anyone who has walking difficulties. Due to this hotel's position the views and sunsets are fantastic. It is also close to town and a stroll there would take around 10 minutes. Can't rememebr which one but Striesand or Fonda used to stay at Cavo Tagoot when visiting the island. <BR> <BR>If I had to chose one it would be Cavo Tagoo simply because of its location and the fact that you won't have to rely on courtesy buses or local services. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the same hotel for years called Rochari and it's just right for me. Has fantastic views over the island, is 5 minutes from the town centre and is family run and owned. Details about Mykonos and the hotel can be found on my page at:- <BR> <BR>http://www.fira1.demon.co.uk (That's fira 'one') <BR> <BR>If you need any further help get back to me. <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 01:27 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Zeke, At your age I would definately <BR>stay at Oia---very romantic. Try the <BR>place we stayed at biult into the hill <BR>overlooking the Cadera and right above <BR>[ 500 feet above] the charming fishing <BR>village of Ammoudi. The whole place is <BR>magical. The hotel is called Esperas <BR>Traditional Houses--really seperate <BR>units with a small kitchen. The price <BR>was not bad and the sunsets were the best I have ever seen. They have a web <BR>site---go search and you will find it.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 07:41 AM
bly

zeke - hey its me again. We stayed at the Cavo Tagoo in Mykonos and loved it. Our room was at the top of the complex. It was 2 levels with 2 decks facing the ocean and beautifully appointed. The breakfast buffet was great. I don't think it was even a 10 minute walk to town. We stayed in Oia and Fira and I definitely liked Oia better. Quiter and more relaxed. If you want more action, go with Fira. bly <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 12:08 PM
Gilbert Leblanc

In Mykonos I know a verry nice small Hotel... Marios... If you have a room in the back... that's nice... nice rooms and a verry nice cactus garden... <BR>Not verry expensive... <BR>In Santorini, The Santorini Palace is a verry nice place to stay... <BR>Excuse my english... But it's a pleasure to help you. <BR>Have a nice vacation in Grece... <BR>G.Leblanc <BR>Montréal Québec Canada

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 12:53 PM
Carolyn

Just got back from Santorini a few days ago and we stayed at the Atlantis Villas in Oia. We liked it a lot, but did some checking and found 2 hotels which seemed to have a bit more charm: the Oia Mare Hotel (at the far end of the island, above Ammoudi, with best views of the sunset) and Hotel Katikies (also in Oia). Make sure you go to a restaurant called 1800 for dinner -- pricey, but worth it -- excellent seafood! <BR>

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 12:21 PM
misssonia

On our honeymoon we stayed on Mykonos for 5 days at the Petasos Beach Hotel and it was fabulous!!!! We passed by the Ambassador and Cavo Tagoo everyday on our way into town and you could not have paid me enough to stay at those places! The Ambassador is not on the beach but rather sits on a cliff above the beach with NO VIEW except of desert scrub brush and the Cavo is on the cliff as well. The Petasos is like a garden and has gorgeous views of the sea and the Platis Yialos beach and is the bus stop location for the bus that goes into town. The restaurant staff is incredible (ask for Apostolis) and the front desk staff can arrange a variety of tours and excursions for you. We went on an island cruise with a beach BBQ that we arranged at the front desk. We will be going back many times!