Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help me get to sardinia from capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-me-get-to-sardinia-from-capri-288733/)

dina4 Jan 20th, 2008 04:32 PM

Please help me get to sardinia from capri

This is so much more difficult to figure out than I thought, especially since we are trying to get to northern sardinia from naples in June, and not that many ferry schedules are up. But after hours of research, i have come up with the following plan:

1. Boat from Capri to Naples

2. Direct train from naples to civitavecchia –
5:20 train (3 hour ride), arrive at 8:30

3. Take overnight ferry at 10:30 from civitavecchia to olbia, arrive in morning (6:30am)

If you have a sense of what time we should leave Capri by boat to make a 5:20 train in Naples, that would MUCH appreciated!!

And if you have a better idea altogether, please let me know.

We are a family of 4, so flying on Meridinia (the only airline that seems to fly from Naples to Olbia) was way too expensive.

Thanks a bunch!
dina

dina4 Jan 21st, 2008 01:47 PM

topping

GeoffHamer Jan 21st, 2008 02:56 PM

I'd suggest you should be looking for a boat leaving Capri at around three o'clock to allow plenty of time for the taxi journey from the port to Napoli Centrale station.
Bear in mind that the late afternoon sailings to the mainland are busy with returning day trippers, so would be best avoided if you have luggage.

dina4 Jan 21st, 2008 03:54 PM

Thanks for replying Geoff.

We WILL have luggage. And will have to deal with in Naples. Will the 3:00 boat be pretty packed already?

What other options are there?

Waldo Jan 21st, 2008 04:25 PM

There is a ferry from Naples to Cagliari. From Cagliari, you can drive to Olbia, or thereabouts.

GeoffHamer Jan 22nd, 2008 12:27 AM

There are lots of ferries and fast craft from Capri to Napoli. I suggested you should go at about three o'clock, but I don't have precise schedules for next June. Caremar's website (www.caremar.it) shows a car ferry at 1450, getting to Napoli at 1610. You'd then need to get a taxi to the station.
There is no easier way of getting from Capri to Napoli Centrale station.
There may be a better way of getting to Sardinia, but not all ferry operators have published their schedules yet. Last summer Di Maio Lines ran from Salerno to Olbia on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, but their website doesn't show this year's schedules yet.

dina4 Jan 22nd, 2008 05:56 AM

Thanks, Geoff.
DiMaio says their schedule will be in out in March. So I'll wait. I"m also waiting for a couple of lines that went from Naples to Palau last summer.

Waldo,
I am also considering that possibility of going into Cagliari. That will involve a 4.5 hr drive up to the north, according to mapquest. Not sure if that's better or worse than a three hour train ride to Civitavecchia if we can't get the preferred ferry out out of Naples.

Thanks guys.
Dina

GeoffHamer Jan 22nd, 2008 06:17 AM

There was no ferry last year from Napoli to Palau. Medmar used to do this route but withdrew in an agreement with Di Maio.
Whichever route you choose, the ferries will not be too busy in June. You'll be able to book once all the schedules are advertised.

Waldo Jan 22nd, 2008 07:19 AM

Hey Dina4-
Let me forewarn you (I should have mentioned it previously), the drive from Cagliari to Olbia is PURE HELL! Sardinian roads leave a lot to be desired, especially the one that runs along the east coast.

dina4 Jan 22nd, 2008 03:12 PM

Geoff, thanks. Too bad about Palau. Hopefully the Salerno ferry will be traveling on the day we need it to!

Waldo, thanks a million for the warning! the train ride to Civitavechhia seems much more appealing knowing the drive from Cagliari to Olbia is so bad!!!