Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me figure out what's doable in Sicily (driving-wise)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a rental car for 5 days of our trip to Sicily. We will spend the 1st three nights in Palermo then pick up the car on the way out.<BR><BR>Monday- we drive from Palermo to Erice (66 miles). Look around for a few hours. Then from Erice to Segesta (22 miles, look around for a few hours. Then from Segesta to Sciacca (where we are staying) 52 miles.<BR><BR>Tues- Sciacca to visit ruins at Selinunte (22 miles) back to Sciacca<BR><BR>Wed- Sciacca to Agrigento to see temples- 38 miles. Back to Sciacca.<BR><BR>Thurs- We can either try &amp; go to a nearby winery OR take a long day trip to Piazza Armerina (105 miles each way). If we go to Piazza Armerina this day then the next day we can go to Siracusa on our way to Taormina and that would look like this<BR><BR>Fri April 3rd- check out of apartment in Sciacca- drive to Siracusa (170 miles). Spend a few hours there, drive to Taormina (71 miles) drop off car &amp; check in hotel.<BR><BR>OR if we do not want to take the long daytrip to Piazza Armerina on Thursday, and want to skip Siracusa ALL TOGETHER on Fri we can:<BR><BR>check out of our hotel in Sciacca- drive to Piazza Armerina (105 miles), spend a few hours. Drive to Taormina (91 miles) drop off car &amp; check in to hotel.<BR><BR>What is doable and worthwhile the last 2 days with the car? Is Siracusa worth it for a few hours, and an extra hour of driving? We will be finishing with 4 nights in Taormina. By the way, there will be 2 of us with my boyfriend doing all the driving since I do not drive stick.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM
GAC

I would do Piazza Armerina on Thursday, drive on to Siracusa and spend Thursday night in Siracusa-Ortigya Island. Drive to Taormina Friday afternoon. I would not want to miss either Piazza Armerina (Roma Villa of Casale) or Siracusa.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I like your suggestion GAC, but I wanted to get to Taormina on Fri because on Saturday I'd like to do an organized day trip that takes out of Taormina to go to Lipari &amp; Vulcano. Would the driving between Sciacca &amp; Siracusa, Siracusa &amp; Taormina be too much in a day?
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM
GAC

It certainly can be done, but you won't have much time (or energy) to see both Piazza Armerina AND Siracusa. The former would be a more logical stopover, both in terms of geography and amount of time needed to visit the Villa (30 mins.) If you stop enroute in Siracusa, you'll need at least 3 hrs. to see the Greek Theatre, Archeological Museum, Cathedral and walkabout on Ortigya Island. But if you take as much Autostrada (highway) as possible (avoiding the much slower &quot;strada statale&quot, and set out early in the morning from Sciacca, you could do everything in one long day.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:13 PM

To be honest, although I enjoyed them, I wasn't overly impressed with the ruins (as mentioned above) at Siracusa. I enjoyed the old part of the city itself for its non-touristy ambiance, but you won't have time to really enjoy that, so I'd forget about Siracusa and go with the other plan.<BR><BR>We did not do Piazza Armerina, so I really can't compare it to anything else, but it sounds like an easy stop on your way from Sciacca to Taormina.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

topping